PDA

View Full Version : Alright, where is all the blackout ammo?

Gump
10-14-13, 09:34
Bought into the 300BO 2 1/2 years ago on the "promise" of all this tooling being put together to only produce this caliber. $12 umc sounded pretty damn good. So far, I have only bought about 200 rds of it and have ended up disgusted every time I look for some. I know there are some new companies (at least I hadn't heard of them) making it but it still seems more rare than 6.8.
Will it ever get going like was promised so long ago?

RearwardAssist
10-14-13, 09:43
The more people that buy into the caliber the more the market increases for the manufacturers to produce ammo so I would say yes eventually.

Hot Holster
10-14-13, 10:27
Not cheap, but available;http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=78

Hammar
10-14-13, 10:34
I've been seeing it available more and more lately, even had a Walmart sighting. Not to long ago even the Barnes ammo was I. Stock for $25 per box and an additional $5 per box rebate from Barnes.

Unfortunately, Remington is not going to have any quantities until 2014 as they are building more production capacity for the blackout. Once that is online, we should see plenty comming from Remington, just have to wait. The fact they are adding capacity shows they are going to support the caliber.

It's getting better.

Kokopelli
10-14-13, 10:51
Go to Midway and use the email notification system. Lots coming in and going out.

Gump
10-14-13, 11:02
[QUOTE=Hammar;1770804]
Unfortunately, Remington is not going to have any quantities until 2014 as they are building more production capacity /QUOTE]

I cant tell you how many times Ive heard this line

MarkG
10-14-13, 11:08
Will it ever get going like was promised so long ago?

Doubt it... You should track down the resident AAC mouthpiece and ask him when the truckloads of $12 per box 300 Blackout are going to show up.

Javelin
10-14-13, 11:43
Doubt it... You should track down the resident AAC mouthpiece and ask him when the truckloads of $12 per box 300 Blackout are going to show up.

I bought all those... Sorry about that :)

Edit: but I really feel sorry for the UPS guy that had to carry all that shit up to my door.

lowbar
10-14-13, 11:46
Local gun show this past weekend and one vendor had a table full of different flavors. I didn't get any pricing, but I have never seen so much 300 blackout on one table before!

Javelin
10-14-13, 11:55
Here is some good ammo and the accuracy is pretty decent on the lot I had received. Much better accuracy than the Remington which I found to be spotty. The down side is southwest ammo is ~ $1.20/round. But you pay for the quality IMO and it appears to be in stock.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/300blk125.htm

Hot Holster
10-14-13, 12:47
More if you don't mind reloads: http://www.dallasreloads.com

aguila327
10-14-13, 13:17
Just put the rifle away until ammo starts showing up. I haven't touched mine in 4 months.

I even started reloading but the powder is also scarce.

From all the indicators I really do think we will start seeing a lot of affordable options flooding the market in the next few months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Gump
10-14-13, 14:51
Just put the rifle away until ammo starts showing up.

Ha. It's not seen the light of day in over a year. I've been content to shoot over priced 556

1slow01Z71
10-14-13, 18:49
This round is best for reloaders at the moment. Supposedly Remington really is gearing up for the unicorn cheap UMC ammo. The subs are only being produced right now according to silvers and that's what Ive seen a lot showing up of. According to him the UMC plinking ammo will be here next year. If its 12 bucks a box Ill buy a couple cases just so I don't have to form more brass.

If you really want some you can buy this that I just posted for sale
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1771136#post1771136

Gump
10-14-13, 22:01
Yeah, I have dies and components, except for brass (at least not enough brass to mess with reloading), to reload. Never tried forming my own brass. But I don't want to spend the time reloading, just don't like doing it like I used to and I wont shoot someone else's reloads, no offense to anyone, I just wont do it. So... that leaves me at the mercy of buying factory ammo for the moment, and I'm not interested in paying top dollar for it. Right now I am only shooting at paper targets, and they don't give a shit if they are shot with 556.
I just wish the cheap plinking ammo was a reality for the blackout.

mic2377
10-14-13, 22:44
Last year, I bought a bunch of the cheap UMC ammo and stashed it away. Shooting all of my reloads has held me over in the mean time. The only increased cost vs 223 is that 30 cal bullets cost more ($20-30/100, vs $12-15/100).

I personally hope the supply issues will cease sometime this year, but who knows from Remington. After all, they are the gun company that won't move from a profoundly anti-gun state, and were also the ones to birth cartridges like the 30 RAR. Good idea, horrible support.

It is too bad that you are no longer loading. Really, the only way to shoot it affordably is to reload. In addition, the process of turning 223 brass into 300 BLK brass is very easy, and the brass lasts a long time. I have been shooting some brass made from once-fired LC that has lasted 8+ loadings, and I am still loading it.

Good luck on the hunt.

1slow01Z71
10-15-13, 15:40
You realize we are coming off the worst ammo scare in history right? Like all ammo manufacturers they've been hit hard. I hope silvers is right and the cheap stuff comes but until then 300BLK is probably one of the easiest cartridges to handload for accurately IMO.

Get this jig
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842
and the saw he linked to in the thread. It takes a little time to form the brass but its not bad and like said above it lasts a long time. There are guys getting 20+ loads when shooting subsonics, 10ish seems to be the norm for full power supers depending on if you anneal.

JusticeM4
10-15-13, 21:21
If you were in the 300BLK bandwagon over 2yrs now, you should've stocked up from CTD when it was $12/box. I don't go to that site anymore so I don't know their current pricing or availability.

Last weekend's gun show here had plenty of 300BLK but at $25/20rds at minimum. Reloading is your best option right now if you're not doing that already.

Raven Armament
10-16-13, 00:41
Yeah, I have dies and components, except for brass (at least not enough brass to mess with reloading), to reload. Never tried forming my own brass. But I don't want to spend the time reloading, just don't like doing it like I used to and I wont shoot someone else's reloads, no offense to anyone, I just wont do it. So... that leaves me at the mercy of buying factory ammo for the moment, and I'm not interested in paying top dollar for it. Right now I am only shooting at paper targets, and they don't give a shit if they are shot with 556.
I just wish the cheap plinking ammo was a reality for the blackout.
It is a reality but if you won't shoot "factory" reloads or ammo from reformed brass loaded by a licensed manufacturer, then you're SOL. What do you hate more: paying $1/rd for plinking ammo or reloading ammo to save money? Small licensed manufacturers are more versatile and quicker to feed the demand than the big guys listening to corporate board members.

Javelin
10-16-13, 02:22
My next purchase will be a 650xl to roll 300blk.

rjacobs
10-16-13, 10:44
I might know somebody who produces 300BLK brass from once fired LC 5.56....

FloridaWoodsman
10-20-13, 19:40
I was getting set to build a 300, but then it occurred to me that I should check the ammo supply first. I think that project is going to have to wait until next year.

jmk
10-20-13, 21:28
I was getting set to build a 300, but then it occurred to me that I should check the ammo supply first. I think that project is going to have to wait until next year.

supply AND price is so ridiculous i haven't even bothered to assemble the upper i bought in december.

i've got a grand total of 100 rounds - if i'm going to spend $1.25/round i'd rather spend it on .308 match.

unless you're fully committed to subsonic and/or sbr, a .308 AR is looking more and more reasonable - at least .50cpr ammo is obtainable.

GunnutAF
10-23-13, 13:01
Unfortunately the Odumbo ammo scare hit just as Factory ammo was coming out. I reload for mine at pennies per shot, reform my own brass, biggest problem now is powder- lucked into 2lbs of LilGun awile back so I'm good for now. I use cast bullets so no cost there as the mold has already paid for it's self many times over. I'd love to find a reasonablely priced 130 gr mold . :D

Raven Armament
10-24-13, 00:38
I'm converting .223 brass and loading it to 300 BLK for $469/K locally using 150gr FMJs. Barely keep up with demand but still plugging along.

Raven Armament
10-24-13, 00:39
I'd love to find a reasonablely priced 130 gr mold . :D
Little lighter than you want, but I thought about trying the Lee Soupcan bullet in the BLK.

10-27-13, 19:08
Reloading it is easy if you have the die, all you really need is a way to cut it down, either the WFT from Little Crow, or I use a cheap HF chop saw and a jig to cut it, run it through a sizing die and final trim to length. It's how I justify shooting that stuff..

I really like the 300blk, gonna start to experiment with subs, then probably a suppressor for the pistol I built.. ;)

ramairthree
10-28-13, 22:35
If you just want to shoot,
you can get 147 M80 rounds about 60cents a piece delivered.

http://shop.ozarkordnance.com/main.sc

Closest thing I can find to the 12$ a box Remington stuff.