PDA

View Full Version : Quick Take down Paratus 300BLK Build

556-300
10-14-13, 21:36
New on this forum but not new to guns. I'd like to share my recent build: a DRD Paratus upper 16 inch 300 BLK barrel with pistol gas port (from DRD), AAC Single chamber muzzle brake, proprietary hand rail & Billet upper (from Brownells), "Biohazard" Spikes Tactical Billet lower receiver, Nickle Boron BCG (both from AIMSsurplus.com), Troy folding battle sights, Raptor ambi-dextrous charger (from Rainier), Timney 4 pound trigger, anti-walk pins, Israeli made "Fab Defense" butt stock and pistol grip, Mag-Pul ambidextrous safety & 10 round mags, thin Pelican 1495 computer case (from eBay) and home made foam cut-outs for the case.

Tested this baby last month and feeds on sub-sonic and super-sonic loads like there was no difference.

lunchbox
10-14-13, 21:43
Welcome to the forum! Please go into why you went with the setup, as well more details on components (esp that upper/rail setup).. and don't forget to use the search button:) for lots of great info on site.

556-300
10-14-13, 22:59
Welcome to the forum! Please go into why you went with the setup, as well more details on components (esp that upper/rail setup).. and don't forget to use the search button:) for lots of great info on site.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, I've built quite a few 5.56s of varied components in the past (from DI to Piston driven).
I personally believe that the 300 BLK is the caliber of the future (others may have different opinions). It packs the ballistics of an AK-47 at 200-300 yards with the light-weight and interchangeability of parts from a regular AR/M-16. Pound per pound ... the 300 BLK can throw more rounds with effective ballistics down range than any other gun when overall weight is taken into account. I have 2 of them at this time. I'm building the third as we speak.

I like the Paratus specifically because of the compact nature when disassembled. All ARs can be dis-assembled but the non-Paratus units use more length when taken apart. This unit I have can fit in a slim Pelican computer case.

The upper rail, receiver and barrel nut are proprietary (no barrel) and can be purchased from Brownells for around $650 shipped. You can fit a 5.56 or a 300 barrel at a length of your choice from any source (I strongly suggest that if 300 BLK is the chosen caliber ... to choose pistol gas port for effective cycling) Everything else are standard mil-spec 5.56 parts ... can be customized as far as your finances can take you.

If you any other questions ... I'm game.

kdcgrohl
10-15-13, 10:05
OP, what can you tell us about your choice of pistol grip & stock? How are they working for you?

Also, what is a Mag-Pul ambidextrous safety?

556-300
10-15-13, 11:06
OP, what can you tell us about your choice of pistol grip & stock? How are they working for you?

Also, what is a Mag-Pul ambidextrous safety?B
The "FAB defense" pistol grip & buttstock are made in Israel for the IDF but now available stateside for civilian use. The butt stock comes with a 10 rd magazine built-in, removable which can be used like a regular loaded magazine in an emergency. I like the idea that I always have the last 10 rds within reach. I also like the weight, comfort and sturdy make ... A well thought of design for the IDF.

The ambidextrous safety gives you the ability to choose putting your AR on/off safety from either side of of the receiver. I am using one made by Mag-Pul and is only has a 60 degree throw ... Instead of the standard 90 degrees ... it is easier to go on safe mode using the trigger finger and go on fire mode using the thumb.

I'll post pictures of them tonight when I get home.

kdcgrohl
10-15-13, 11:45
I was curious about the furniture because in the 300 pic thread you have the rifle configured with a Magpul grip & a BattleLink stock. Which configuration do you prefer?

Also, i realize Magpul molds the polymer switches for the selector, but I believe it is a Noveske product. I haven't used one myself, do you prefer it to a standard selector?

How well does the removable barrel hold zero?

556-300
10-15-13, 17:30
I was curious about the furniture because in the 300 pic thread you have the rifle configured with a Magpul grip & a BattleLink stock. Which configuration do you prefer?

Also, i realize Magpul molds the polymer switches for the selector, but I believe it is a Noveske product. I haven't used one myself, do you prefer it to a standard selector?

How well does the removable barrel hold zero?

I moved that BattleLink stock to one of my 5.56s. By design, I wanted to have a visual designation of my 300BLK rifles by their stock ... thus I am using the Israeli FABs for the 300s. They're great ... they're no better or worse than the others but I like them mainly for their design and practicality of storing a 10 rd mag inside the stock.

To be honest, I never expected Magpul to have made an ambi-safety lever ... and I don't like this one that much. It feels bulky on the side of the receiver. I prefer the aluminum flat ones as long as they are the 60 degree throw instead of the stock 90 degrees. I'm used to putting my safety on with my trigger finger everytime I take my finger off the trigger and using my thumb to go to fire mode after my trigger finger is ready.

The removable barrel holds zero pretty good ... although it's not a rifle for bullseye competition nor long range sniping ... it holds it's own at the range.

JusticeM4
10-15-13, 21:04
Very rice rifles man, thanks for the pics. I'm a big fan of 300BLK but the price of ammo, I went back to 5.56 only.

I like those IDF stock you have. A little pricey but its great to be able to store an extra mag there if you feel the need.

I assume you reload for the 300?

556-300
10-15-13, 21:46
Very rice rifles man, thanks for the pics. I'm a big fan of 300BLK but the price of ammo, I went back to 5.56 only.

I like those IDF stock you have. A little pricey but its great to be able to store an extra mag there if you feel the need.

I assume you reload for the 300?

Thanks for the props bro. I have quite a collection of 5.56s and NATO 308s. But when it boils down to weight ... the 308s are a bear to lug around. I've read extensively on the 300s and I was impressed at their ballistics within 2-300 yards (2-3 football fields). The best of both worlds to have the weight of an M-16 but with the ballistic power of the 308 or an AK-47 in 200-300 yards range. My 300s are purely for emergency and not even for target practice. The only time they saw the shooting range was to zero the scopes and sights ... besides ... you're right ... Ammo for the 300's too expensive and rare.

Those IDF stocks are actually competitive to the MagPuls in price. I got them for less than $125 apiece delivered from eBay ... that includes the magazine !!!

I don't reload but shop the web a lot and the best ammo for the 300 in my opinion are the 115gr Barnes Vortex ... supersonic at 2300fps ... and grows to 50 cal size projectile on impact ... but not cheap but destructive at $1.25 a round

TMS951
10-16-13, 10:55
Could you show us some pics of how it works? Seems like a neat system, I just don't understand the mechanism of it.

I couldn't find a home page for them googling either?

556-300
10-16-13, 13:59
Could you show us some pics of how it works? Seems like a neat system, I just don't understand the mechanism of it.

I couldn't find a home page for them googling either?

Google them using "DRD Paratus" but their website is www.DRDtactical.com Here's a youtube video of how the takedown system works. It can be done quicker than the demo as you can see ... he was struggling a little bit. This video is of a 308 NATO with a folding stock but the same takedown system

http://youtu.be/nm1g--T0uGo

556-300
10-16-13, 14:33
Not the way I shoot but this guy pushes the envelope of safety and stupidity. Only reason I'm sharing the link is he is using the DRD Paratus system in 308 NATO caliber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc--3cmXJr8

lunchbox
10-16-13, 20:02
Not the way I shoot but this guy pushes the envelope of safety and stupidity. Only reason I'm sharing the link is he is using the DRD Paratus system in 308 NATO caliber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc--3cmXJr8Damn that was almost the end of him!!

eodinert
10-17-13, 03:54
Fake suppressors?

556-300
10-17-13, 09:27
Fake suppressors?

Yessir!!! Slips over the barrel. You can see stainless steel end of the barrel.

Bello
11-04-13, 05:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc--3cmXJr8

I really can't stand this kid!