PDA

View Full Version : Interest in G&R Tactical Hydro Dipped AR's???

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 11:13
A Hydro Dipper local to us is wanting to get into doing AR's so we sent them two of our rifles. Having never had a gun hydro dipped before, I was unsure how it would work out. The two camo patterns I chose was the Kryptek Highlander and Multicam.

I was pleased with how everything came out and am going to have them do my night fighting gun in Kryptek Typhon (will post pics when that one is completed).

So I am wondering if folks would be interested in brand new AR's that have been dipped and ready to ship (read no waiting)?? Was thinking the cost would be around $200 which includes the upper and lower receivers, rail, stock and grip. One magazine would also be done.

Feedback is welcome.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_Highlander.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_Highlander1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_Highlander2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_Highlander3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmin_MC2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmint_MC3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmint_MC5.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon4.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon5.jpg

sawman556
10-15-13, 11:32
Looks good! What did they use for a clear coat?

coastwatcher42
10-15-13, 11:47
If I decide to buy another AR, I would definitely be interested. I've been toying with the idea of having one of mine done in Multicam, but I don't like the idea of sending it off (there is no one local who does it) and then having to wait for its return.

kdcgrohl
10-15-13, 11:48
Is it just me, or does the pattern seem much smaller that usual?

Nightstalker865
10-15-13, 11:52
How does it compare in durability to cerakote?

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:00
Looks good! What did they use for a clear coat?

Some automotive clear coat. Said they had good luck with it on other things they have dipped.

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:02
If I decide to buy another AR, I would definitely be interested. I've been toying with the idea of having one of mine done in Multicam, but I don't like the idea of sending it off (there is no one local who does it) and then having to wait for its return.

Ya, that is the catch with this stuff. By the time you pay for shipping (two ways) + disassemble/reassemble you can get into some high costs.

Our goal is to remove the shipping expense + properly assemble the gun.

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:03
How does it compare in durability to cerakote?

Cerakote is going to be more rugged, but you don't get the same type of patterns. So it really depends on what you are after.

C4

tb417
10-15-13, 12:07
How about an option to just buy some pre-dipped furniture?

TXBK
10-15-13, 12:07
Why must you persist upon separating me from my moola....I would imagine that there would be a semi-limited amount of demand. At that price point most buyers would probably pass. If I were to order one, waiting an extra week or so wouldn't be a problem...vs. me receiving it to tear it down and send it to have said work done.

What does their multicam look like?

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:08
How about an option to just buy some pre-dipped furniture?

That is something we can do, but honestly there are companies already doing it and there will be more in the future.

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:11
Why must you persist upon separating me from my moola....I would imagine that there would be a semi-limited amount of demand. At that price point most buyers would probably pass. If I were to order one, waiting an extra week or so wouldn't be a problem...vs. me receiving it to tear it down and send it to have said work done.

What does their multicam look like?

We did some research on pricing and found a lot of companies charge between $300-$400 + Shipping. Then you either have to disassemble/reassemble the gun or pay someone to do it.

So $200 seemed like a bargain to us.

I will have the MC one up later this week.

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:12
The gun in the pic is this one (FYI): https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=136690

C4

TXBK
10-15-13, 12:19
We did some research on pricing and found a lot of companies charge between $300-$400 + Shipping. Then you either have to disassemble/reassemble the gun or pay someone to do it.

So $200 seemed like a bargain to us.

I will have the MC one up later this week.

C4

I personally agree that the price is good, which is why I would be forced to buy one. I think that having a vast amount in stock may not move as fast as your stock usually does...JMHO. Thus, an individual would probably be willing to wait for a short time for you to get it done, instead of you having to sit on them.

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 12:22
I personally agree that the price is good, which is why I would be forced to buy one. I think that having a vast amount in stock may not move as fast as your stock usually does...JMHO. Thus, an individual would probably be willing to wait for a short time for you to get it done, instead of you having to sit on them.

That is the $10,000 dollar question an why we are asking the question.

We are going to start doing some in a couple different patterns and see what happens.

C4

TXBK
10-15-13, 12:29
Go ahead and do what you do best....separate me from the product of my labor.

GUNSLINGER733
10-15-13, 12:42
Looks good. I'd be interested in one. I think you would do well with handguns also. I'd like a M&P 9 in kryptek typhon. I know wwguns wants around $200 for a pistol when I checked.

holeshot
10-15-13, 12:46
Sound's like a great deal for those who are interested.

MistWolf
10-15-13, 13:01
Grant, are you thinking of coming up with your own pattern?

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 13:03
Grant, are you thinking of coming up with your own pattern?

I am not at this point and time.

C4

captdreifus
10-15-13, 13:09
I would definitely be interested. I don't buy a lot of AR stuff, but when I do, its with G & R.

TacticalSledgehammer
10-15-13, 13:35
Just yesterday I was looking up ways of getting kryptek highlands camo pattern on my rifle....

You sure you don't have any of that secret government spy software?
LOL
I'm looking forward to see how the dipping goes if and when you decide to get it up and running full steam.

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 13:41
Just yesterday I was looking up ways of getting kryptek highlands camo pattern on my rifle....

LOL
I'm looking forward to see how the dipping goes if and when you decide to get it up and running full steam.

Damn you caught me! :ph34r:

C4

VIP3R 237
10-15-13, 13:57

Yes that is the wtp 736 reduced highlander instead of the wtp 646 highlander. It was designed for smaller objects such as cell phone cases and video game controllers, but i must say it looks better than i expected on those rifles.

_Stormin_
10-15-13, 14:20
Definitely would have some interest on this one. I don't know of anyone local that is doing it, and I have just found a new favorite FFL for transfers. :-)

Trajan
10-15-13, 14:29
Looking forward to seeing the SPR in Typhon.

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 15:47
Looking forward to seeing the SPR in Typhon.

So do I!

C4

Hump66
10-15-13, 15:55
I've done several hydrodip projects on a few of my rifles. $200 for a complete AR is a hell of a deal. A couple things about the clear/top coat. The automotive clear durability is good, and ability to have a "flat" sheen is nice. Cerakote is darn near indestructible, but tends to be on the shinier side. I always ended up going over it with a Krylon matte clear to knock the sheen down. On my latest ones I've had great results with the Duracoat clear. Good durability and a flatter sheen right off the bat. All this is JMHO from my experiences.

NoveskeFan
10-15-13, 15:56
Any chance I can send you an SBR to have dipped?

C4IGrant
10-15-13, 16:04
Any chance I can send you an SBR to have dipped?

Maybe in the future. Right now I am concentrating on getting new guns done.

C4

Pork Chop
10-15-13, 16:40
Maybe in the future. Right now I am concentrating on getting new guns done.

C4

I bet you could stay as busy as you want doing this. A lot of people are interested in this, but have trouble finding someone they trust to tear their weapons down and properly reassemble after dipping.

And I think a $200 upcharge for a new gun that's already dipped is a bargain.

rapomstage3
10-15-13, 19:15
You just so happened to pick what I Beleive to be the two best camo patterns on the planet.

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 11:44
You just so happened to pick what I Beleive to be the two best camo patterns on the planet.

Funny you say that. Was talking to Mr. Hackathorn this morning about this thread and he mentioned that he has a Jacket in the Highlander pattern and liked it a lot.

When I chose this pattern for my own gun, I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't turn out all that well. I have now shown it to a bunch of people in our shop and everyone of them is impressed with it.

C4

fourXfour
10-16-13, 12:19
That looks like a high quality dip job. My good friend dips guns as a hobby. It is way tougher than if looks. The kryptek patterns have a reputation of "not sticking." Multicam is the most forgiving and easier to touch up.

I would definitely consider picking up a dipped gun. $200 is a bargain for the amount of time that goes into.

Somnus
10-16-13, 12:47

LOL

Grant the super spy....I was looking up typhon patterns for the past week for a rifle.

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 12:54
Grant the super spy....I was looking up typhon patterns for the past week for a rifle.

Ya, the Typhon looks awesome. Seeing how well the BCM HSP Jack's sell in the "grey," I think guns dipped in the Typhon will make people go bananas!

C4

Somnus
10-16-13, 13:26
Ya, the Typhon looks awesome. Seeing how well the BCM HSP Jack's sell in the "grey," I think guns dipped in the Typhon will make people go bananas!

C4

I would be in for one!

skijunkie55
10-16-13, 15:16
Grant,
Was your thought doing both the larger and smaller scale patterns?

levik97
10-16-13, 15:32
I'm interested in anything G&R! In all honesty though, as cool as I think it is, I'm not in the financial position to purchase a new AR so I won't be one of the people buying one in the forseeable future. That being said, it would be pretty neat if you had a M4C member exclusive pattern.

Levi

Abraham
10-16-13, 15:41
Not for me and I have the discretionary income to afford it...

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 16:14
Grant,
Was your thought doing both the larger and smaller scale patterns?

I have only seen pics of the larger pattern (nothing in person). I must admit that I like the small pattern better because it seems to give more detail to smaller areas on the gun (if that makes sense).

C4

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 16:15
Not for me and I have the discretionary income to afford it...

Cool. Do you not not camo patterned rifles?

C4

RIBZ
10-16-13, 18:31
Hi Grant.

Do they have A-TACS foliage green? This pattern works well in my neck of the woods.

1911-A1
10-16-13, 18:36
I can't see paying $200 for a finish when rattle cans are $5 apiece and can be touched up when needed.

I'm sure there's a market for it, but I don't see the value in it.

SteveL
10-16-13, 19:34
Grant I think you'll be really happy with Typhon. I recently took a class from Jared Reston and he had a 14.5" SR-15 that had been dipped in Typhon. Personally I would prefer Highland or Mandrake, BUT if a nighttime/low-light camo pattern is what you're looking for then I don't think you can do any better than Typhon. I'm pretty sure his had the full sized pattern on it though.

As to the original question, I can't afford another rifle right now but if that changes any time soon then I would definitely be interested in one dipped in Kryptek. $200 is a good chunk of change IMO, but it's a great price for having an entire rifle dipped.

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 20:21
Hi Grant.

Do they have A-TACS foliage green? This pattern works well in my neck of the woods.

I am sure that it is a possible to get it and do AR's in.

C4

C4IGrant
10-16-13, 20:24
Grant I think you'll be really happy with Typhon. I recently took a class from Jared Reston and he had a 14.5" SR-15 that had been dipped in Typhon. Personally I would prefer Highland or Mandrake, BUT if a nighttime/low-light camo pattern is what you're looking for then I don't think you can do any better than Typhon. I'm pretty sure his had the full sized pattern on it though.

As to the original question, I can't afford another rifle right now but if that changes any time soon then I would definitely be interested in one dipped in Kryptek. $200 is a good chunk of change IMO, but it's a great price for having an entire rifle dipped.

Ya, I think for an overall camo job, people will want some type of woodland pattern (MC, Highlander, etc), but for the person that wants a night fighting or urban gun, Typhon is simply awesome.

C4

4DAIVI PAI2K5
10-16-13, 21:00
Why didnt you have this last week so I could see it in person!

Looks good in the pictures!

SteveL
10-16-13, 21:03
Ya, I think for an overall camo job, people will want some type of woodland pattern (MC, Highlander, etc), but for the person that wants a night fighting or urban gun, Typhon is simply awesome.

C4

You know the more I think about it now, I bet my PPQ would look effin' awesome in Typhon. Now you've done gone and given me an idea. I'll have to check with Joint Force Enterprises and see what they charge to do a pistol.

garand1945
10-17-13, 01:30
It would make it an easy decision to buy my next AR from you if I could pick a top tier brand and get the coating of my choice. Simple decision because I already trust you as a dealer, you offer customization that the manufacturers can't, and I don't have to piecemeal the project. As a businessman it has all the marks of a winning product. The question is how busy do you want to be? Offer two or three standard coatings with one or two platforms that you can keep consistent supply of and branch out for more custom work from there. Hope you have the cash to add a lot more inventory as you ramp this up ;) Ill take mine in multicam please!

scooter22
10-17-13, 01:36

Yep, the pattern is much smaller. It doesn't look right, and it alters the effectiveness of the camouflage.

3ACR_Scout
10-17-13, 05:51
Grant - I really like the idea of dipped rifles ready to order, but I'd personally prefer to have a drop-down menu of options, like you offer on many of your products, for handguards, buttstock, trigger, etc. and then wait a couple weeks for the rifle to be dipped after I placed my order. Since it would obviously be difficult to match the camo pattern if I made modification to the rifle later, I'd want to have it configured "just right" when I ordered. Of course, I could wait for you to (hopefully) produce the exact configuration I wanted, but I'd personally be more inclined to order if I had some menu options to choose from.

Dave

ace4059
10-17-13, 06:31
Its a great idea and a good price.
I like the idea of the ready to ship dipped AR's, but I am not crazy on a lot of the patterns. I would be winning to wait an extra week to have it done after I order the rifle to get the camo dip of my choice. Not to mention less inventory for you to have on hand.
I think you should just make it an option and then select what paint scheme you want.

C4IGrant
10-17-13, 08:07
Grant - I really like the idea of dipped rifles ready to order, but I'd personally prefer to have a drop-down menu of options, like you offer on many of your products, for handguards, buttstock, trigger, etc. and then wait a couple weeks for the rifle to be dipped after I placed my order. Since it would obviously be difficult to match the camo pattern if I made modification to the rifle later, I'd want to have it configured "just right" when I ordered. Of course, I could wait for you to (hopefully) produce the exact configuration I wanted, but I'd personally be more inclined to order if I had some menu options to choose from.

Dave

This is pretty difficult I think so I would just treat this as a special order that you called in.

C4

C4IGrant
10-17-13, 08:08
Its a great idea and a good price.
I like the idea of the ready to ship dipped AR's, but I am not crazy on a lot of the patterns. I would be winning to wait an extra week to have it done after I order the rifle to get the camo dip of my choice. Not to mention less inventory for you to have on hand.
I think you should just make it an option and then select what paint scheme you want.

What camo pattern are you interested in?

C4

C4IGrant
10-17-13, 16:13
Yep, the pattern is much smaller. It doesn't look right, and it alters the effectiveness of the camouflage.

Talked to the Hydro dippers today. The smaller print was recommended to them by the manufacturer for guns. So that is why they used it.

C4

C4IGrant
10-17-13, 16:14
Two more guns off to get dipped today. A BCM RECCE 16 Precision MK2 in MC and my KAC SR15 in Kryptek Typhon. Should have pics next weekend and the BCM gun will be the FIRST one offered up for sale (if anyone is interested).

C4

Failure2Stop
10-17-13, 16:59
Two more guns off to get dipped today. A BCM RECCE 16 Precision MK2 in MC and my KAC SR15 in Kryptek Typhon. Should have pics next weekend and the BCM gun will be the FIRST one offered up for sale (if anyone is interested).

C4

At the risk of being labeled a tactical hipster, I think that Kryptek is a visually appealing pattern and am interested to see how it looks on a carbine.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Koshinn
10-17-13, 17:06
A SR-15 in Typhon would look great

C4IGrant
10-17-13, 22:07
At the risk of being labeled a tactical hipster, I think that Kryptek is a visually appealing pattern and am interested to see how it looks on a carbine.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

LOL. I don't think a Combat Vet with a Bronze Star could ever be called a "tactical hipster." IMHO, you can get away with liking whatever the hell you want.

C4

Abraham
10-18-13, 15:06
Grant,

Sorry, it took so long to get back to your question.

You asked: "Do you not not camo patterned rifles?"

I'm going to extrapolate that you're asking me if I dislike like camo patterned rifles and my answer isn't that I don't like them, but more that I find such overkill.

I prefer plain.

That being said, if there's additional functional benefit (that I'm unaware of) like far greater corrosion resistance, then I'd look more closely at the idea of hydro dipping, if such was offered plain.

C4IGrant
10-18-13, 15:11
Grant,

Sorry, it took so long to get back to your question.

You asked: "Do you not not camo patterned rifles?"

I'm going to extrapolate that you're asking me if I dislike like camo patterned rifles and my answer isn't that I don't like them, but more that I find such overkill.

I prefer plain.

That being said, if there's additional functional benefit (that I'm unaware of) like far greater corrosion resistance, then I'd look more closely at the idea of hydro dipping, if such was offered plain.

I like plain and think everyone needs to own one at least one black rifle. I also think the camo patterns and painted guns give you a lot more concealment than a black rifle does.

So it really depends on what you are looking to do.

C4

VIP3R 237
10-18-13, 15:56
I prefer plain.

Have you looked into Cerakote?

cop1211
10-18-13, 21:37
I guess I'm in the minority, but Im not digging the Kryptek, I do dig the Multi Cam.

sua175
10-19-13, 09:14
I understand that not everyone is in military so they may not need a
Painted weapon. I think having a painted weapon whether hydro dipped or rattle can offers great advantages to plain black anodizing.

First, being all camo up with clothing and kit with black rifle can significantly shiloluet you. For example, if you are wearing all multicam and holding a black rifle across your chest i guareentee you will stand out more.Nothing in nature is black, even in urban settings black is not optimal.

Second, a cerakote, or hydro dip will ad protection to the rifle. I you don't want something permanent or change environments often then rattle can might be your best bet.

I view my rifles like another piece of kit, I care about functionality not aesthetics. If a painted rifle reduces my signature and increases my concealment then I'm all game. I don't own a rifle that isn't painted or hydro dipped.

TBomb
10-19-13, 13:08
I am a fan of coated rifles for a number of reasons. Namely, increasing functionality by decreasing the visual signature of the gun, and the fact that black rifles in the Texas summer sun get real hot real fast.

I have gone down the month long path of disassembling my gun, sending parts off to be Cerakoted, getting them back, and reassembling everything. If I had the option of buying a brand new gun coated like I wanted, I would have gladly spent the extra $200 (not much more than I spent just for the Cerakote service) and waited a week to get it. I think that if you worked out a deal with the coater/dipper so that you could get guns turned around quickly (say one week from order to ship, if that's possible) and offered a handful of standard options (Multicam, a couple of Kryptec patterns, and maybe a couple of solid patterns like FDE and Foliage) that would provide a tremendous value to your customers and help keep you from having several coated rifles on hand at any one time.

Lopro619
10-20-13, 05:09
Any pics of the multicam?

Malig8r
10-20-13, 10:06
I believe providing this option will be a valuable service and I would be interested in one for myself in the not so distant future. Obviously, ensuring good QC/QA from the company providing the service would be a primary concern. As a few people have previously stated, the ability to avoid the hassle of disassembling your firearm and shipping to and fro would be appreciated.

Grant, please post pics of the Typhon when you are able as this is the pattern I would be interested in. Thanks.

ra2bach
10-20-13, 14:28

I wouldn't say it completely alters the effectiveness, but the original pattern was designed with certain size color blocks, contrasts, etc. for a reason. I don't understand the logic that the pattern size is dependent on the host object - either it camouflages/obscures the outline or it doesn't.

depending on the distance it is viewed from, small intricate patterns will morph into a single shape of the dominant color. decreasing the size of the original pattern would seem to make it more effective only from close up in a way that enhances the aesthetics rather than functionality...

ETA: and Grant, you're right, I bet the Haley Jack would be sick in Typhon. Highlander seems to be the popular color palette but those of us in the SE would like to see more green. looking at your original picture, I bet Mandrake would disappear in that leaf covered lawn...

sua175
10-20-13, 18:02
ok fellows, since I have two guns that are hydro dipped I thought I would share some pictures so some of you could get a better idea. sorry for the I Phone pics.

This one is a SR-25 type rifle from legion firearms. The pattern is ATACS FG.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/andy101506/1BBBE7CE-805F-4A37-AE6C-C25FB906FDBF-6599-000006DE42E781F1_zpsd8f433cd.jpg

This one is a 14.5 middy also from Legion firearms, this one in mutlicam

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/andy101506/A1249881-FF9D-4E4D-92CA-AC152B2DB998-6599-000006DE2F7B7460_zps3c27641f.jpg

This is my old work gun that is just rattle canned.
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/andy101506/5C1AAB24-91E5-4E35-8A64-841C7D99D271-6599-000006DE598B6009_zpse8694c8a.jpg

I really do prefer hydro dip unless I know im going to be changing environments often.

Grant, I think that if you could find a good partner and keep prices and your over head low, it would be a good option to offer to people. If you offered hydro dipping and I was to buy a rifle from you I would have my gat dipped. +1 for me!

C4IGrant
10-21-13, 09:08
Any pics of the multicam?

Should have some up this week. Since the barrel was SS, I decided to paint it (as it just stuck out too much). This has added some delay.

C4

C4IGrant
10-21-13, 09:16
I wouldn't say it completely alters the effectiveness, but the original pattern was designed with certain size color blocks, contrasts, etc. for a reason. I don't understand the logic that the pattern size is dependent on the host object - either it camouflages/obscures the outline or it doesn't.

depending on the distance it is viewed from, small intricate patterns will morph into a single shape of the dominant color. decreasing the size of the original pattern would seem to make it more effective only from close up in a way that enhances the aesthetics rather than functionality...

From looking at guns dipped in the full size pattern of the Highlander, you can get one of two things. Entire sides of the weapon in say white/cream with little to no other colors in there. Or your can get small parts with no detail (just the color brown). Personally, I do not care for that and like that every part of the gun has the honey comb pattern with LOTS of colors in a very small area.

I do not believe there is a right or wrong answer here and guarantee that you would not find this rifle if I set it down in a field. So it will simply come down to personal likes and dislikes.

ETA: and Grant, you're right, I bet the Haley Jack would be sick in Typhon. Highlander seems to be the popular color palette but those of us in the SE would like to see more green. looking at your original picture, I bet Mandrake would disappear in that leaf covered lawn...

I will do some in Mandrake for sure.

C4

VIP3R 237
10-22-13, 18:24
I agree with Grant about the reduced looks better on small parts. Here is a full size highlander on a colt receiver set I did this morning for comparison. Its not touched up or clear coated yet but you get the idea.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20131022_165916_zps0c117261.jpg

rapomstage3
10-22-13, 19:13
That looks effing sick! That is the way it's done!

Koshinn
10-22-13, 19:34
I think I like the full size better.

Nothing in nature is black
My cat disagrees with you.

GUNSLINGER733
10-22-13, 20:07
I really like the full size highlander.

GUNSLINGER733
10-22-13, 20:15
How does the hydo dip hold up on the receiver extension?

VIP3R 237
10-22-13, 20:37

I don't recommend it. Hydro dip is pretty durable but a tight stock sliding on the re will scratch it up.

The black lava flows around my area disagree as well.

Malig8r
10-22-13, 22:02
depending on the distance it is viewed from, small intricate patterns will morph into a single shape of the dominant color. decreasing the size of the original pattern would seem to make it more effective only from close up in a way that enhances the aesthetics rather than functionality.

Have to agree with the above. This is a known phenomenon as described:

Their tight macropattern leads to an issue called isoluminance where the colors combine at a distance into one color and if that color is different from the background or brighter or darker than the background, then the soldier is easy to spot.

skijunkie55
10-23-13, 07:56
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181477_10151692738481584_378564081_n.jpg
saw this posted on the kryptek facebook a while back I think...
this would be my choice in which parts to hydro-dip

Caduceus
10-23-13, 08:22
Have to agree with the above. This is a known phenomenon as described:

Their tight macropattern leads to an issue called isoluminance where the colors combine at a distance into one color and if that color is different from the background or brighter or darker than the background, then the soldier is easy to spot.

Easy to see this with both the CADPAT and MARPAT desert uniforms. With CADPAT, I can barely see the patterns past about 20 yards. Of course the overall color is kind of khaki, and blended well overseas IMO.

C4IGrant
10-23-13, 08:51

It will wear. We are doing one next to see how it does.

Most likely, we will just cerakote them.

C4

C4IGrant
10-23-13, 08:52
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181477_10151692738481584_378564081_n.jpg
saw this posted on the kryptek facebook a while back I think...
this would be my choice in which parts to hydro-dip

Mandrake looks pretty good. We have ordered some.

C4

Alex V
10-23-13, 09:22
I agree with Grant about the reduced looks better on small parts. Here is a full size highlander on a colt receiver set I did this morning for comparison. Its not touched up or clear coated yet but you get the idea.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20131022_165916_zps0c117261.jpg

Never thought I would want to do this, but holy crap does that look awesome!

I agree, I like the full scale pattern better.

skijunkie55
10-23-13, 09:46
Mandrake looks pretty good. We have ordered some.

C4

Merry Christmas to me... :D

andrewz71
10-23-13, 10:17

Can the hand guard be done at the same time as well to keep the patten "flowing"? Also can the clear coat be done in flat to reduce reflection? If so Take My Money!!!

VIP3R 237
10-23-13, 11:26
Can the hand guard be done at the same time as well to keep the patten "flowing"? Also can the clear coat be done in flat to reduce reflection? If so Take My Money!!!

We do a Matte Clear Coat, but by nature the ink is slightly reflective. I do not think its possible to have the pattern flow with the hand guard and come out without serious flaws, however i'm going to give it a try with a KAC SR15 Mod 1 next week in Kryptek Raid. I'll post up pics when its done.

kdcgrohl
10-23-13, 11:52

Originally Posted by sua175 View Post
Nothing in nature is black

Agreed on the full size, looks better.

And I could've sworn I've seen a bear that would disagree on the black comment as well.

VIP3R 237
10-24-13, 15:13
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20131024_140503_zps259f6e1a.jpg

Photo of the completed rifle

Brown_Bear
10-24-13, 15:34
ok fellows, since I have two guns that are hydro dipped I thought I would share some pictures so some of you could get a better idea. sorry for the I Phone pics.

This one is a SR-25 type rifle from legion firearms. The pattern is ATACS FG.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/andy101506/1BBBE7CE-805F-4A37-AE6C-C25FB906FDBF-6599-000006DE42E781F1_zpsd8f433cd.jpg

If for some reason you need/want to part with that Legion SR-25, you better believe I want it.

SomeOtherGuy
10-25-13, 11:51
I think this is a great idea, at the $200 or so expected price.

I won't be needing any new rifles for a while, but I'm sure something new and cool will come out in a year or two that I would want, and at that time I'd be looking to see if G&R had an option for that (whatever it may be) with a camo finish.

The patterns I'm most interested in are:
1) ATACS forest or desert scrub
2) Multicam, or whatever Army eventually adopts that will be a derivative of Multicam
3) Kryptek Highlander

Shiz
10-25-13, 12:58
The Kryptek is sure pertee! I think ATACS is my fav though.

I am more the rattle can type person though. It could be my Kosher heritage.

KevinB
10-25-13, 13:19
I've been toying with getting my SR-25 dipped.

However - I'm at a point in life that cost is an issue - and also I really want to do the optic and scope mount too.

Grant - can they do optics etc (suppressor) as well?

C4IGrant
10-25-13, 13:22
I've been toying with getting my SR-25 dipped.

However - I'm at a point in life that cost is an issue - and also I really want to do the optic and scope mount too.

Grant - can they do optics etc (suppressor) as well?

Yes on optics. The can would just melt it off. Cerakote would most likely be the better option there I think.

C4

KevinB
10-25-13, 13:50
I hate to clash -- maybe I need a show can, and go can...
:D

SteveL
10-25-13, 13:55

This is beautiful IMO. I would prefer the full size pattern without a doubt. I'm not too crazy about the reduced size pattern, at least not on a full sized rifle. Might look ok on my phone or something about that size.

dentron
10-25-13, 14:21
I also prefer the full sized pattern.

Failure2Stop
10-25-13, 15:03
I hate to clash -- maybe I need a show can, and go can...
:D

I hear that your "go can" is pretty nice :haha:

redsnake
10-25-13, 15:33
I'm a fan of camo rifles... Recently bought this Magpul furniture for my old Armalite in A-TACS AU... perhaps I need to now camo up the lower/upper and barrel.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Redsnake/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU001_zpsb057a51d.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Redsnake/media/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU001_zpsb057a51d.jpg.html)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Redsnake/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU002_zpsec93dba1.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Redsnake/media/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU002_zpsec93dba1.jpg.html)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Redsnake/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU003_zpsae4ef188.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Redsnake/media/ArmaliteMagpulA-TACSAU003_zpsae4ef188.jpg.html)

Failure2Stop
10-25-13, 16:24
Yes on optics. The can would just melt it off. Cerakote would most likely be the better option there I think.

How stripped down does the rifle need to be for dipping?

badness
10-25-13, 19:06
Agreed on the full size, looks better.

And I could've sworn I've seen a bear that would disagree on the black comment as well.

You guys are splitting hairs. If you actually use a black cat or bear as concealment, post a pic. I want to see this.

Do one in Kryptek Raid. I'm a total sucker for those urban grey colors.

C4IGrant
11-03-13, 17:16
Sorry for the delay. Here is my Varmint gun in MC and my KAC SR15 MOD 1 in Typhon.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmin_MC2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmint_MC3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Varmint_MC5.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon4.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/KACSR15_Typhon5.jpg

VIP3R 237
11-03-13, 17:18
Good looking rifles. I'm digging the reduced Typhon. I did my xbox controller in the same but with a red base coat and it looks slick.

Trajan
11-03-13, 17:42
I'm digging the Typhon. Less artsy, but it looks like it would blend in great in an urban environment.

C4IGrant
11-03-13, 18:04
I'm digging the Typhon. Less artsy, but it looks like it would blend in great in an urban environment.

Yes. It has "Urban" written all over it.

C4

PatrioticDisorder
01-08-14, 09:57
Cerakote is going to be more rugged, but you don't get the same type of patterns. So it really depends on what you are after.

C4

Isn't there a cerakote that is clear? Seems to me this would be the best combo, clear cerakote over multi-cam but I don't even know if that is even possible to do (just thinking out loud).

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 09:59
Isn't there a cerakote that is clear? Seems to me this would be the best combo, clear cerakote over multi-cam but I don't even know if that is even possible to do (just thinking out loud).

Yes, but it is SHINY. Not a fan of this. I think camo should be DULL.

C4

PatrioticDisorder
01-08-14, 10:03
Yes, but it is SHINY. Not a fan of this. I think camo should be DULL.

C4

Gotcha, that makes sense. What do you think about the durability of the hydro dipping as is?

sadmin
01-08-14, 14:00
Grant,

Is there an elevated cost associated with dipping an AK since breakdown is more of a chore / do they even offer that?

The thyphoon looks awesome.

n4p226r
01-08-14, 14:07
looks great. i'd be interested if i was buying another AR.

jaragon
01-08-14, 15:06
Looks great. I'm with you Grant, I really like the typhoon.

Somnus
01-08-14, 20:12
Grant, I like the Typhon!

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 20:15
Gotcha, that makes sense. What do you think about the durability of the hydro dipping as is?

It is pretty good, but not as good as cerakote.

C4

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 20:16
Grant,

Is there an elevated cost associated with dipping an AK since breakdown is more of a chore / do they even offer that?

The thyphoon looks awesome.

We have not looked at doing AK's yet so I really cannot say.

C4

StevieJ309
01-08-14, 20:37
Grant, will you be offering hydro dip or cerakote on handguns purchased from you?

I'll be buying a G19 from you at some point in the next 6 months or so and I'd like to get the slide of it either dipped or cerakoted.

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 20:43
Grant, will you be offering hydro dip or cerakote on handguns purchased from you?

I'll be buying a G19 from you at some point in the next 6 months or so and I'd like to get the slide of it either dipped or cerakoted.

Cerakote for sure. I am not sure that hydro dipping would hold up all that well if you are going to holster the gun a lot. I do have a volunteer for it though (poor bastard).

C4

contax_shooter
10-27-18, 06:59
Y’all still offering this? Would be a game changer on a URG-I clone

jsbhike
10-27-18, 07:54
Y’all still offering this? Would be a game changer on a URG-I clone

Assuming they don't(ancient thread and Google search not fruitful).

If that is the case and you don't mind DIY, give this stuff a look:

https://www.gunskins.com

And I think some others sell it. If my guess is correct, this may just be vehicle wrap. If so, should be durable and my limited experience with it seems to indicate that.

If anyone goes this route, I recommend just buying the roll unless you are using an A2 grip, M4 butt, and other parts like they picture since any other parts require lots of slicing and splicing.

The only thing I have noticed as a negative versus hydro dipping is in being fairly slick so grip areas need to be left open or tweaked. Slickness would make me avoid using it on a pistol also.

ryanm
10-27-18, 12:31
Gun skins does work well, take your time and the end results are solid. Use a heat gun where you can set the temp to 250, don’t melt the material. If it’s too hot to press with your thumbs, increase distance of gun from material or try lower heat setting.