PDA

View Full Version : .357 Gold Dots THRU THE WASHER/DRYER!!

Straight Shooter
10-15-13, 17:48
Yep, awhile back, after coming in from a range trip, I left a 5 round SpeedStrip of 125gr. Federal .357 Gold Dots in my pants pocket. Went all the way thru the washer on very warm water...then all the way thru dryer. Found them as I was folding my pants.
Set them aside to get them away from my carry/defense ammo...to be tested on my next range trip. Well, today had a great few hours on the range, and tried out the ammo in my 3" SP101.
ALL FUNCTIONED 100%..normal groups too.
I find this very exceptional, and is but one reason Ill continue running
GD's thru all my handguns.

Mr blasty
10-15-13, 18:09
I've had carry ammo fail a couple times from going through the wash. Haven't had it happen since I've started using gold dots about a year ago but I've been curious about there resistance to getting wet.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ned Christiansen
10-15-13, 18:14
I just did the same thing with a mag full of MagTech .380 HP's, same good results.

backspur
10-15-13, 18:19
I had the same experience and results with a speed strip of .38 Gold Dots.

ST911
10-15-13, 18:29
Cool coincidence. A few months ago I washed a speed strip of 38spl Corbon 110gr DPX. I left it in the cargo pocket and washed it at least twice a week since. Fired it Sunday without issue.

While no manufacturer would warranty their product from such examples, these are more good examples of the merits in buying quality ammo from known-good vendors.

yoni
10-15-13, 19:05
I have washed spare mags sitting in my left front pocket more than once.

Or let me rephrase, I got home after being away from home for a couple of days straight after a terror attack. Didn't give a damn about my pants or shirt, they got dumped on the floor as I went to the shower for the first time in a few days. A couple of minutes in the shower to wash off the dust and what ever, drinking a scotch as fast I could.

Head hits the pillow and I was out.

When I would wake up my pants would be hanging from the clothes line, mag in the pocket. Mag and ammo got used for practice after that.

1slow01Z71
10-16-13, 13:35
Revolver loads have a roll crimp so they seal better from the elements, even taper crimp auto loader stuff does pretty well. Ammunition is amazingly resilient. I recently shot some ammunition that had been rolling around the back of deer hunting bronco for the last 20 or so years. Fired just fine and was as accurate as Id expect for factory ammo.

wahoo95
10-16-13, 13:58
I've hand loads go thru the W/D and function with no issues

Trajan
10-16-13, 18:44
I've had this happen multiple times with training ammo. They all went bang the next time I took them to the range.

jpgm
10-16-13, 20:56
...It's all in the fabric softener.

jpgm

texasgunhand
10-17-13, 00:12
LOL,,i have done this to..corbons,they still worked...

Mr blasty
10-17-13, 06:15
Hornady ammo has proven to be the worst in my experience. Forgotten SD ammo in the wash to rather small amounts of moisture for a few days in field type settings for rifle rounds. Maybe they dont crimp as hard or something?
All that said I still like Hornady. Just not for important stuff with there loaded ammo anymore.

vicious_cb
10-18-13, 03:33
Anyone know mfgs if duty/defensive ammo use primer sealant + neck sealant or is it just the crimp preventing water from getting in?

Mr blasty
10-18-13, 05:22
Anyone know mfgs of duty/defensive ammo use primer sealant + neck sealant or is it just the crimp preventing water from getting in?

I remember reading something about some sort of "Navy SEAL" gold dot round awhile ago. Aparently it's just a gold dot round designed for maritime environments.

Suwannee Tim
10-18-13, 20:46
I have taken many swims with a revolver in my pocket while canoeing. I use Winchester ammo and I change out the suspect ammo after the trip and shoot it later. Never a hint of adverse effect from the water.