PDA

View Full Version : AR-15: gas sys length vs case life

Wyoming
10-15-13, 19:12
I've had a curiosity for some time that I haven't been able to resolve via internet search across many of the major online forums. I'm curious if the length of the gas system plays much of a role in case life since something like a carbine length system begins extraction while the chamber pressure is higher when compared to a mid or rifle length system. Regarding case life I am mainly thinking in terms of case head separations vs neck splits.

I know there are many other variables like the port size, buffer weight, max pressure, and maybe most importantly, how much head clearance you have between your chamber/reloads. Maybe it isn't even really possible to isolate the gas system length as a lone variable since things like buffer weight and port size are tied to GS length, I'm just curious if any known trend exists.

bigedp51
10-15-13, 20:21
AR-15: gas sys length vs case life
Or
AR-15: gas sys length vs bolt lug wear

The bolt is turning when there is still pressure in the barrel, this causes case swipes and more force on the lugs when rotating.

Also the fired cases can end up longer than the chamber because the residual pressure can move the shoulder of the case forward. This could give you a false case length reading when bumping your shoulder for sizing.

NWcityguy2
10-17-13, 01:04
I don't think it is a significant factor because 223 brass will generally die from a loose primer pocket or a split neck/shoulder before head separation becomes a problem.

markm
11-11-13, 11:47
An overgassed carbine gas gun will trash case rims sometimes.... i.e. bend them back to where they won't go into a shell holder. But as stated... the case life is more likely determined by how hot you load ammo, and thus how quit it won't hold a primer acceptably any more.