PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Super Magnum questions

TxRaptor
10-16-13, 11:41
I did use the search feature but did not manage to find the information I am looking for.

I've been wanting a shotgun for quite some time and finally decide to "pull the trigger" :haha: on purchasing one.

In my child like giddiness, I had my local firearm store order an 870 Super Magnum combo from their distributor. I assumed that is came with a 18.5in rifle sight smooth bore barrel and a 28in bead sight barrel. I was wrong. I do have a smart phone but clearly I was not smart enough to look up what I was purchasing until I got home :rolleyes: I already submitted the paperwork for CA, dros, and partially paid.

Now that I am in my 10 day wait period, I researched what the combo is comprised of to find that it is a 20in rifled barrel with rifle sights along with the 28in bead sight barrel. Further research lead to learning that a Super Magnum has a longer pull for 3.5in shells, uses a non-standard 870 bolt, and a non-standard trigger set.

So here is my dilemma. I have some buyers remorse because I wanted the 18.5in barrel for HD and the longer barrel for shooting clays. I had plans to install magpul furniture on the 870 as well which I learned is not compatible for Super Magnums. I am worried that the Super Magnum model is not a reliable HD solution. Am I just being paranoid and the Super Magnum will be fine for HD? I've come across a few different online forum posts and am concerned over my choice I made especially since its coming with the wrong barrel...

26 Inf
10-16-13, 12:24
The rifled barrel will not be effective with buckshot.

The Super Mag receiver will accept any modern 870 barrel - you just won't be able to use 3.5 inch shells in a barrel chambered for 3 inch.

If you can't back out on the deal you ought to be able to trade the rifled barrel for a smooth bore pretty easily.

On the 3.5 inch anti-aircraft shells, I'd shoot only enough to pattern it - then shoot them only when hunting - you don't feel the recoil then.

Also recommend sitting up in the goose blind rather than shooting from the supine position. :)

TxRaptor
10-16-13, 12:41
Would you say my concern over the non-standard bolt and longer length of pull is really not a reason to be concerned over?

I don't actually ever intend on using this shotgun for hunting but I don't plan on shooting supine either... haha

britishtq
10-16-13, 13:15
Even after you dros you can always switch to another gun and not have to re-start the 10 day waiting period. Maybe the store can order the other gun and only charge you a restocking fee or something.

TxRaptor
10-16-13, 17:07
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I gave the shop a call and had them change my order for a Remington Part#5549. I'm content now and plan to use the couple hundred I am saving for some MagPul furniture, a 2 shot mag tube extension, and possibly a long barrel for trap/skeet.

Thanks again gentlemen.

britishtq
10-16-13, 17:14
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I gave the shop a call and had them change my order for a Remington Part#5549. I'm content now and plan to use the couple hundred I am saving for some MagPul furniture, a 2 shot mag tube extension, and possibly a long barrel for trap/skeet.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Awesome to hear, glad we could help.

williejc
10-16-13, 18:10
You made the right decision.

I've hunted with both 10 ga and the newer 12 ga 3.5. Both kicked like hell but the 3.5 inch 12 was brutal and cruel. I could handle the 10 but not the other. Once I chopped the barrel on a Browning BPS 10 ga to about 22 inches and had great fun puddle jumping(ducks on pond up close)and shooting buckshot into old appliances and wrecked cars.