PDA

View Full Version : Ammo connumdrum.. Better ammo, different POI.

Swstock
10-17-13, 18:48
I have shot several different loads through my 20" Noveske barreled upper including IMI M855, PMC193, Federal .223, and a couple others.

Generally, they all end up in the same place except for Federal MK318 t556tnb1. It ends up a little high and right.

I know its the better of the bunch but if it doesn't hit the same spot as the ammo that I have in "more quantity", should I sell it and get the others that know end up in the same spot? I only have a few hundred rounds of it.

What's more important here, equal points of impact, or the better performing round? I'm thinking its best to keep ammo that hits the same area. What about you?

vicious_cb
10-17-13, 19:47
I have shot several different loads through my 20" Noveske barreled upper including IMI M855, PMC193, Federal .223, and a couple others.

Generally, they all end up in the same place except for Federal MK318 t556tnb1. It ends up a little high and right.

I know its the better of the bunch but if it doesn't hit the same spot as the ammo that I have in "more quantity", should I sell it and get the others that know end up in the same spot? I only have a few hundred rounds of it.

What's more important here, equal points of impact, or the better performing round? I'm thinking its best to keep ammo that hits the same area. What about you?

Im curious as to why would think that? Are you going to defending your life with your cheap practice ammo? If so you should be zeroing your gun with the rounds you are going to shoot for defense.

Kain
10-17-13, 19:49
Depends I suppose. If you are planning on using that as your go to then adjust your optic and go with that. If not then I would either use it for range use or sell it.

ST911
10-17-13, 20:07
I zero to my carry load, and then find the closest acceptable training round to pair it with. Over the years, I've had several combinations that were excellent.

Keeping a log book that includes differences in POIs can be very helpful.

Swstock
10-17-13, 21:03
Im curious as to why would think that? Are you going to defending your life with your cheap practice ammo? If so you should be zeroing your gun with the rounds you are going to shoot for defense.

I don't think I'd ever be defending myself from a 100+ yard threat. At "self-defense" distances, I don't think the spread would be wide enough to warrant different 100 yard 0s.

I really lean on my hand guns as my "go to HD" guns. (I know I'd get crucified for admitting that). I have a 16" AR as the "go to" nearby rifle with a RDS. I wouldn't use a 20" barrel and a 4-16 scope for that. The 20" gun is really for killing paper.

I guess I could just zero the hd ar with the mk318 and not use it in the 20" one.

ST911
10-17-13, 21:23
I really lean on my hand guns as my "go to HD" guns. (I know I'd get crucified for admitting that).

Actually, you will not. At in-home distances, and in consideration of other possible tasks that may need to be performed during such an incident, opting for a HG can be prudent.

T2C
10-18-13, 05:12

Generally, they all end up in the same place except for Federal MK318 t556tnb1. It ends up a little high and right. I know its the better of the bunch but if it doesn't hit the same spot as the ammo that I have in "more quantity", should I sell it and get the others that know end up in the same spot? I only have a few hundred rounds of it.

How much higher and how far to the right? At what distance?

If the ammunition is going to be used for self defense, zero for the MK318. If you are just punching paper with it, make a note in your rifle log and adjust for the point of impact when shooting paper. When you are finished shooting, zero for your defensive ammunition.

Whatever ammunition you choose for the primary purpose of your rifle is what I would use as a baseline for a zero.

Swstock
10-18-13, 08:49
How much higher and how far to the right? At what distance?

If the ammunition is going to be used for self defense, zero for the MK318. If you are just punching paper with it, make a note in your rifle log and adjust for the point of impact when shooting paper. When you are finished shooting, zero for your defensive ammunition.

Whatever ammunition you choose for the primary purpose of your rifle is what I would use as a baseline for a zero.

Im going to head to the range now and find out. Ill be back in a few hours.

Caduceus
10-18-13, 11:44
I don't think I'd ever be defending myself from a 100+ yard threat. At "self-defense" distances, I don't think the spread would be wide enough to warrant different 100 yard 0s.

I really lean on my hand guns as my "go to HD" guns. (I know I'd get crucified for admitting that). I have a 16" AR as the "go to" nearby rifle with a RDS. I wouldn't use a 20" barrel and a 4-16 scope for that. The 20" gun is really for killing paper.

I guess I could just zero the hd ar with the mk318 and not use it in the 20" one.

I tend to agree with all of this. My rifle is (was... ) zero'd at 25 meters with M855. At 100 yards it's a few inches off with all ammo. No big deal, still hitting within about 4 inches POA, with several kinds of ammo. To me, this is good enough for self defense, especially if you consider most situations will likely be under 25 yards (in the home) or 100 yards (outside the home). BTW, my go-to for HD is the FBI 5.56 round recommended by Doc, which at 25 yards is again, close enough. Given price considerations, I only have about 100 rounds of it before I have other high-quality ammo set aside for SHTF.

Ditto the handgun for HD, with rifle in stand-by, "If I have time to get it" status.

Swstock
10-18-13, 13:34
Just got back from the range. Seems that for the most part, it had the same POI as my others, but only a few went a couple inches up.

Idk what was going on last time.

T2C
10-18-13, 16:56
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. You always want to leave the range on a positive note.