PDA

View Full Version : Good boots or shoes for rucking?

ABNAK
10-18-13, 03:48
Knees are largely shot, so let's skip that part. :rolleyes: Let's say for the sake of discussion that I wanted to do a little rucking for PT. I need some MAJOR impact-absorbing boots or shoes to cushion the impact of briskly walking under weight.

Recommendations?

Wake27
10-18-13, 07:21
Hmm, the Nike's have always gotten good marks for road marches with their lightweight, but I wouldn't expect them to have much padding. My Rocky S2V's are very sturdy so they may be a better bet for you. Lots of ankle support too if that matters. I'd avoid the issue boots, they messed me up in OSUT and my joints are normally pretty resilient. I remember my Blackhawk Desert Ops boots as being pretty good too, aside from them not breathing too well. Hands down my best boots would be the LOWA Zephyr GTX but they're pricey with the Gore-Tex. I think they make a non-GTX version though so maybe that's the way to go. Very padded and supportive, without being overly-so, and deceptively lightweight.

Vic303
10-18-13, 12:38
I've always been a fan of Lowa boots too. I love my new Lowa Zephyr Mids.

TAZ
10-18-13, 13:54
I too am a fan of Lowa boots. My Renegade GTX's just wore out after 5 years. Made it through many fun hikes from TX to Alaska. Vet comfy and good support for my feet and loads.

One more thing to consider aside from the boot itself are the insoles. I have orthotics due to falling arches and such, but there are some really good off the shelf bin soles out there from Superfeet or Sole than will alleviate some wear and tear.

ABNAK
10-18-13, 16:01
I too am a fan of Lowa boots. My Renegade GTX's just wore out after 5 years. Made it through many fun hikes from TX to Alaska. Vet comfy and good support for my feet and loads.

One more thing to consider aside from the boot itself are the insoles. I have orthotics due to falling arches and such, but there are some really good off the shelf bin soles out there from Superfeet or Sole than will alleviate some wear and tear.

Do they stay in place after much walking though?

Vic303
10-18-13, 16:28
My custom orthotics and my Superfeet insoles have never shifted on me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Brimstone
10-18-13, 17:27
I really read that thread title wrong...

Anyway, I really like my Superfeet insoles.

Javelin
10-18-13, 17:27
Infantry school I found vibram soles were great. But then they made us use the standard issue ones in airborne and ranger and now I have planters faciitis. So the moral of the story is good boots are a soldiers best friend.

lunchbox
10-18-13, 20:02
I really read that thread title wrong...

Anyway, I really like my Superfeet insoles.:lol:

Wake27
10-18-13, 21:01
Infantry school I found vibram soles were great. But then they made us use the standard issue ones in airborne and ranger and now I have planters faciitis. So the moral of the story is good boots are a soldiers best friend.

You're Ranger qualified?

And my buddy also got plantar fasciitis from issue boots at OSUT.

TAZ
10-18-13, 22:21
Do they stay in place after much walking though?

Yup. No issues with them staying in place. Wet or dry. The orthotics are customs trimmed to the shoe when you get them so they don't move about. The Sole or Superfeet are also trim to size by you. I just use the factory insoles as templates.

EricTheRed
10-19-13, 02:42
Have you ever considered trekking poles? (Or even just a set of used ski poles) Not great when hunting or something when you need your hands free, but a life (or knee) saver for regular hiking/ just getting in shape type walking. I thought they were for pussies until about three weeks in on the AT then I changed my mind completely. I have horrible knees- they don't line up right so basically I've had degenerative arthritis since I was born. Trekking poles have kept me in the hills, especially when carrying weight. Still hurts like hell when I'm hunting and don't have them, but.... pushing 40 and still out there.

Of course good insoles and boots help too.

JW5219
10-19-13, 16:23
I've always been a fan of Lowa boots too. I love my new Lowa Zephyr Mids.

Me also. The Zephyrs are great boots!

bp7178
10-19-13, 17:08
If your knees are bad why would you add more weight to your body and "walk briskly" in a physical training effort?

That's probably a major contributing factor to what got you here.

Wake27
10-19-13, 18:15
If your knees are bad why would you add more weight to your body and "walk briskly" in a physical training effort?

That's probably a major contributing factor to what got you here.

It is a good point. Something low-impact like biking or rowing may be a much better option.

bp7178
10-19-13, 18:49
In the very least until excess body fat was lost and a basic level of cardio-vascular conditioning was obtained.

48J
10-19-13, 19:49
Shot knees indicate that you should consider exercise other than rucking. Walking, even walking briskly, is an excellent form of exercise that will fit your needs.

I have knee and hip problems from too many jumps and ruck marches. Cycling has become my exercise of choice. I walk regularly but not with a ruck.

I have a pair of Keens that serve me well. The Keens replaced Lowa low cut hiking shoes. When I replace my current pair, it will be with Lowa or Keens.

ABNAK
10-20-13, 08:09
I bike several times a week and do my Elliptigo (Google it, it's just like running but no impact) on the trainer twice a week also so it's hardly like I'm starting out cardio-wise. I was running and biking until 2011 when the pain forced me to phase the running part out. I had to adopt other methods of cardio while the perceived difficulty of running was fresh and I could tweak the biking and Elliptigo to that level.

I occasionally add in speed-walking (4 miles in ~ 50minutes) to my repertoire as I'm a firm believer in a "body weight over distance" exercises as quite practical. God forbid an emergency arise and you HAD to step it out you'd maintain the ability to do so. So kills two birds with one stone: fitness and practicality.

However, I'd like to be able to haul a modicum of weight over distance too. Well, that and convince myself I'm not 48yo and it's 1985 (I'm 20 then and humping and jumping in the Army!).

I was thinking about rucking like once a week just to be doing something different, as I'm sure you guys can relate to how mundane the same things over and over can be. I ain't planning on humping a 70+lb ruck in the Hindu Kush, maybe 45lbs for 4-5 miles. Brisk but not bone-jarring pace (less intense cardio I do for longer periods of time than I would, say, running).

So that is why I inquire about good footwear.

DC5446
10-20-13, 08:20
For a while now I've preferred Garmont boots. I regularly ruck 70+ pounds and when paired with some good Fox River socks, I have yet to get a blister, even when soaking wet.

Wake27
10-20-13, 09:29
I've heard great things about Garmonts from a few buddies. They'll be my next pair since improbably won't be needing Goretex again.

colombianito1021
10-20-13, 10:41
Another vote for Garmonts. I had the Rockies, Nike, Oakley and none have been as comfortable or tough as the Garmonts.

48J
10-20-13, 10:53
I hear you! I am 56 and still think I am 25. Like you, the running just got to where it hurt too much. The problem is that I love to run. Cycling and walking were always a part of my routine. Now, they are the bulk of it.

I will search the Eliptigo. That sounds interesting.

When I read "rucking", I did the mental leap to 70 or 80 pounds of ruck. I would still recommend that if you plan to ruck, you keep it under 20 pounds.

GhostRecon21
10-20-13, 16:46
My go to ruck boots are any of my SOPC specials. They are standard Belleville issue boots with the heal and toe cups removed with Vibram moccasin soles. Ive used these for years along with the Nikes. The newer Rockies are nice too but not as comfortable to me compared to my other two listed. I used the issue boots through OSUT and Airborne and ditched them as soon as I was introduced to the SOPC boots. I used them all the way through the pipeline and still love them. Only issue is that they wear quickly on pavement or rocky terrain. For rough terrain we usually are wearing Merrill's anyways.

Javelin
10-20-13, 17:06
You're Ranger qualified?

And my buddy also got plantar fasciitis from issue boots at OSUT.

Unfortunately I was secretly nursing a slight knee injury from a bad Jump that I didn't think was too bad, didn't tell anyone about it as I wanted to finish, but then all the ruck marching took it's toll and I was not able to complete the course so I went to Iraq for the invasion instead. Such is life.

bp7178
10-20-13, 17:33
Under Armor Valsetz.

Out of all the boots I've tried on, they are the only ones which felt at all cushioned. I wear them on duty.

arbninftry
10-20-13, 21:59
Bad knees are a bitch to begin with, but staying in shape with them is another. A little background, 11B, then 11A. So I get it, however- bad knees as well. LCL,ACL,MCL, and PCL on both knees were reconstructed with cadaver ligaments, so I get the bad knees.

For pt with bad knees you have to figure out how your knees pronate your feet, or plainly put, how your feet hit the ground. If you look at the bottom of your shoes, the soles will tell you. If it is heel heavily worn the Nike's or New balance are great shoes. For hiking boots, the Merrel's are really good. If you are rotating your feet out and the sides of your shoes show more wear, try Reeboks and Adidas.

Saloman, Lowa, and Columbia also make good hiking boots as well.
The best advice I can give you is to see a ortho Dr. He can also put you in a set of athletic braces. Bregg and Mehdi are really good. The cheap walmart crap is just that, Crap! The Braces, if your knees are truly shot can and will help you correct the walk and run.
However, you will most likely hear Run Forest a few times.

But the corrections a good brace can make will help in the long run. If you don't correct the problem, the ankles and hips will hurt first, then you will probably start thinking about when you will need to start fusing vertebrae in you back. Because your knees absorb a lot of daily shock, and if they are bad, that shock will be absorbed other places.

Knees are largely shot, so let's skip that part. :rolleyes: Let's say for the sake of discussion that I wanted to do a little rucking for PT. I need some MAJOR impact-absorbing boots or shoes to cushion the impact of briskly walking under weight.

Recommendations?

ABNAK
10-21-13, 09:14
Bad knees are a bitch to begin with, but staying in shape with them is another. A little background, 11B, then 11A. So I get it, however- bad knees as well. LCL,ACL,MCL, and PCL on both knees were reconstructed with cadaver ligaments, so I get the bad knees.

For pt with bad knees you have to figure out how your knees pronate your feet, or plainly put, how your feet hit the ground. If you look at the bottom of your shoes, the soles will tell you. If it is heel heavily worn the Nike's or New balance are great shoes. For hiking boots, the Merrel's are really good. If you are rotating your feet out and the sides of your shoes show more wear, try Reeboks and Adidas.

Saloman, Lowa, and Columbia also make good hiking boots as well.
The best advice I can give you is to see a ortho Dr. He can also put you in a set of athletic braces. Bregg and Mehdi are really good. The cheap walmart crap is just that, Crap! The Braces, if your knees are truly shot can and will help you correct the walk and run.
However, you will most likely hear Run Forest a few times.

But the corrections a good brace can make will help in the long run. If you don't correct the problem, the ankles and hips will hurt first, then you will probably start thinking about when you will need to start fusing vertebrae in you back. Because your knees absorb a lot of daily shock, and if they are bad, that shock will be absorbed other places.

Haven't had reconstruction....yet! Did have surgery in 2005 on the right knee though. Most cartilage is gone and 20-30 holes were drilled to allow bleeding to form an artificial "cartilaginous layer". Not as good as cartilage itself but better than nothing. Didn't really notice any difference unfortunately. That was 8 years ago and the left knee ain't far behind. Yeah, hips hurt sometimes.

Also have plex planus (flat feet). Outside of shoes wear first. I know my ortho guy quite well! He told me I'd need a total knee replacement by 50, which is 2 years away. I don't intend to do that if it can be avoided. Captain Obvious tells me rucking ain't exactly gonna slow that process down but I'm a bit on the stubborn (determined?) side!

Oh, 4 bulging lumbar discs (from L5-S1 on up), and herniated disc at C6-C7 (bad jump) with bilaterally bulging disc right above that. I'm a walking, pretty fit orthopedic nightmare! Being a Steeler's fan I strive to be a Rocky Bleier-lite!

48J
10-21-13, 09:26
"Oh, 4 bulging lumbar discs (from L5-S1 on up), and herniated disc at C6-C7 (bad jump)"

ABNAK, that was not a bad jump. That was a bad landing. :)

I have a pair of crushed vertebrae that sometimes remind me of a bad landing that I once made.

ABNAK
10-21-13, 12:43
"Oh, 4 bulging lumbar discs (from L5-S1 on up), and herniated disc at C6-C7 (bad jump)"

ABNAK, that was not a bad jump. That was a bad landing. :)

I have a pair of crushed vertebrae that sometimes remind me of a bad landing that I once made.

The lower back is likely from jumping/humping in general. The neck is specifically from a jump in '86 as I had a crappy door exit and flipped partway through the risers. The crossmember or whatever it was came up the back of my neck and ripped my steel pot (yeah, old bastard!) off while violently jamming my head forward. That's a steel pot held in place with the chin strap AND jumper's neck strap mind you (you other old f***s will remember those). Rang my bell too as I had those lightning bugs things flashing in front of my eyes 800 feet or so up in the air! Had my left leg caught in the risers in front of my face, helmet plummeting to the ground below. Shook out the cobwebs and frantically scrambled to get my leg free as I figured landing on one leg was gonna leave a mark. Finally got it free and covered up my head good for the landing, which was uneventful....just everything before that!

uncle money bags
10-22-13, 00:31
Another nod to the Lowa Zephyrs. Plenty of cushion where it matters. I bought the non GTX version off Amazon for $135 shipped. They run true to size and length. They have been as close to sex for your feet that i have come across.

Wake27
10-02-16, 18:25
I've heard great things about Garmonts from a few buddies. They'll be my next pair since improbably won't be needing Goretex again.

The Garmonts have been great for daily wear and obstacle courses, but they destroyed my feet on only a six mile ruck. It was the first official ruck I did with them, but I'd had them about a year and wore them that entire time, to include when in the field so they were definitely broken in. I'm not a fan of the lacing system either, so no more Garmonts for me. I think SSD posted about Lowa coming out with a pair of Zephyrs that are much closer to if not actually 670-1 authorized. In the meantime, I'm trying the new Rocky C7s.

On a sizing note, Goruck sent an email last week with a bunch of tips. They were pretty basic and mostly common knowledge, except they said to go up a half or even full size in boots for rucking in order to prevent blisters. Obviously you don't want too snug of a fit, but does anyone size up their boots just for rucking? I'd be worried about my foot sliding around in there.

GTF425
10-02-16, 18:49
I rucked for far, far longer distances than my recruiter ever told me I would. I never sized up my boots and never had a problem with chafing or crushing toenails. My favorite rucking boots after years of trail and error were the issued hot weather's with the heel and toe cup taken out, laced with gutted 550. My favorite for all around wear were the Garmont T8s. For a mid-height boot, the Salomon Pro 3D Mids are my daily wear boots these days and I love them.

For sizing, all I ever looked for was that they were snug on the side-to-side fit, with a thumb width between the big toe and the tip of the boot. Quality insoles (Superfeet) and quality socks (Smartwool and Darn Tough) to round out the equation.