PDA

View Full Version : So Will We Ever See Lake City 5.56 for .25 A Round...?

SteyrAUG
10-18-13, 18:04
I can remember 10 years ago thinking twice about anything more than 10 cents a round for quality (Lake City) 55 gr. ammo. I eventually got used to paying as much as 125.00 for 1000 rounds.

Then Obama got nominated and we all know what happened. And while I'm glad prices are back down from $2 per round ammo prices are still twice as much as they should be.

Is .50 a round just the way it's gonna be from now on? Or at least until the Hillary Clinton nomination?

NoveskeFan
10-18-13, 18:14
Or at least until the Hillary Clinton nomination?

I felt a disturbance in the force reading that :(. I really got into 5.56 when xm193 was under $300 shipped for 1k rounds, not that long ago. I think it's going to stay around .50 cents for now...until the next panic / presidential nomination.

a1fabweld
10-18-13, 18:17
I don't think we'll see it below $.40 per round again. Raw materials are not getting cheaper, the value of the dollar is not increasing, and dealers/distributors know that we will pay more than we did last year. It seems every time there is some kind of 2A threat, shit goes up but rarely come back down to where they were before. I hope I'm wrong.

SteyrAUG
10-18-13, 18:21
I don't think we'll see it below $.40 per round again. Raw materials are not getting cheaper, the value of the dollar is not increasing, and dealers/distributors know that we will pay more than we did last year. It seems every time there is some kind of 2A threat, shit goes up but rarely come back down to where they were before. I hope I'm wrong.

I guess at least Pmags restored to normal.

GeorgiaBoy
10-18-13, 18:24
I have been buying .223 Tula for the most part lately if I don't want to break into my brass case stash. My local wally world usually has it for about $6.50. I haven't bought any brass cased 5.56 in over a year and a half.

Last night I went to Wal Mart to pick up some things and was surprised to see some Federal XM193 on the shelf. I haven't seen any of that in a local shop in in over a year. There was no price tag but I asked for 3 boxes anyway. When he rang it up it was $10.75 a box. :eek:

Made me regret not buying a lot more of the 5.29/box that PSA was selling back in 2011...

Javelin
10-18-13, 18:36
Probably not :(

Can barely even roll it yourself for that these days.

a1fabweld
10-18-13, 18:37
I guess at least Pmags restored to normal.

That's true. Thank goodness for that at least.

I purchased a Dillon 650 and I've been piling up components for the last few years when good deals come around so I can keep shooting. I'm loading my own 5.56 for about $.23-.25 per round which includes once fired LC brass, CCI STD primers, H335 powder & either SS109 or FMJ bullets. That's as cheap as I know to get quality 5.56 nowadays. As long as prices remain high, I'll continue to roll my own. The 2nd and beyond loads will be closer to $.15 per round without having to buy brass. It shoots tighter than factory stuff of the same type also.

SteyrAUG
10-18-13, 19:00

I purchased a Dillon 650 and I've been piling up components for the last few years when good deals come around so I can keep shooting. I'm loading my own 5.56 for about $.23-.25 per round which includes once fired LC brass, CCI STD primers, H335 powder & either SS109 or FMJ bullets. That's as cheap as I know to get quality 5.56 nowadays. As long as prices remain high, I'll continue to roll my own. The 2nd and beyond loads will be closer to $.15 per round without having to buy brass. It shoots tighter than factory stuff of the same type also.

You make me wish I had a garage or basement.

a1fabweld
10-18-13, 19:05
A desk in a spare bedroom works too? Or set up at a buddys garage?

SteyrAUG
10-18-13, 19:19
A desk in a spare bedroom works too? Or set up at a buddys garage?

I don't have enough room in a spare bedroom. Also don't have to time to be in a buddies garage all day. I just need to move to a bigger house with a garage and a basement so I can watch movies and reload ammo.

SilverBullet432
10-18-13, 19:27
no, we will not. The market will stabilize at a price for a while, and might stay there. 25 cents a pop might not be in question. why? costs of materials go up, lead, brass, powder, labor etc...

for example, I own a cabinet shop. cost of wood goes up and down a lil all the time. a cabinet i made in 2008 for $450 might cost $700 today. material and labor.

gunrunner505
10-18-13, 20:44
I'm just happy that after this Navy Yard dumbass ammo didn't go to $1000 a case, or more, and become scarce as unicorn poop like after SH. However, I have the feeling ammo prices are acting like gas prices. We're being conditioned to think .40 a round is a good deal.....

I need to get a Dillion 1050 in the man cave to crank out 5.56 by the ton.......

Zane1844
10-18-13, 20:54
I am happy I got into AR's last year since I do not know what cheap ammo prices are.

I have been only interested in $400 cases shipped. I will go up to $420 at most.

a1fabweld
10-18-13, 20:58
Exactly. Weve proven that we'll buy the shit until its eternally backordered at $.80 per round so why would they sell it for $.30 again? Just like gas. I think the future of cheap ammo is progressive reloading. At least for me.

gunrunner505
10-18-13, 21:08
I am happy I got into AR's last year since I do not know what cheap ammo prices are.

$400 shipped a case is what I have got lately- I will go up to $420 a case- and how much I am willing to spend since that is so much.

Pre SH a buddy of mine got a 1000 rd case of Federal 55 grain for $375 from Cabelas. I recently got a 1000 rds of PMC 55 grain for $430. Only $55 more than pre asshat pricing.....

Zane1844
10-18-13, 21:13
Pre SH a buddy of mine got a 1000 rd case of Federal 55 grain for $375 from Cabelas. I recently got a 1000 rds of PMC 55 grain for $430. Only $55 more than pre asshat pricing.....

That is around what I use to pay as well. I just got some Fiocchi .223 for $424 shipped.

I am mad I missed the case of PMC for $400 shipped on Target Sports.

There is no way anyone should pay $450 on up for 5.56/ .223 FMJ anymore.

Wake27
10-18-13, 21:21
When I first got into it, a case of Federal 193 was $350. I couldn't imagine it being $250.

Ryno12
10-18-13, 21:28

I was fortunate to have enough ammo when the panic hit. What I did learn, however, was to plow full steam ahead with my reloading. Before, I was only reloading to supplement my stash. Since then, I have been increasing my inventory of components so if/when the next panic hits, I'll have enough to shoot for many years to come. Not to mention, it's a really fun hobby.

You make me wish I had a garage or basement.

Not sure about Iowa but that's standard in Wisconsin. Just have trade hurricanes for tornadoes. The humidity you're already used to. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

_Stormin_
10-18-13, 22:11
Pretty confident that 40¢ is the "new normal" with in the mid to high thirties being sale pricing.

As has been said already, if they know you can't make it at home for less than 25¢ why charge less for the convenience? It's a commodity now. Like gas. We trade it on the EE instead of the CME... :)

jwfuhrman
10-18-13, 23:13
Being in the process of opening up my store and web store and having worked the previous 9 months for a different store, I can tell you that dealer pricing is what MSRP used to be.....

Magic_Salad0892
10-18-13, 23:43
If a republican goes back into office, then we'll probably see it at about $0.40 a round or so. Maybe $0.30.

SteyrAUG
10-19-13, 00:10
Being in the process of opening up my store and web store and having worked the previous 9 months for a different store, I can tell you that dealer pricing is what MSRP used to be.....

Actually it's higher. There was never the typical 40% markup when it came to ammo. Shipping costs can easily cancel out profit potential as well.

SteyrAUG
10-19-13, 00:10
If a republican goes back into office, then we'll probably see it at about $0.40 a round or so. Maybe $0.30.

Unless that Republican is Christie.

yellowfin
10-19-13, 01:29
I will be reloading all my ammo until things get back to normal, can't afford to stock up sufficiently otherwise.

SteyrAUG
10-19-13, 01:44
I will be reloading all my ammo until things get back to normal, can't afford to stock up sufficiently otherwise.

I think I'm just shy of 40k rounds bought for about $125 per 1000 during the good times. I'm keeping it as my minimum reserve. One way or another it's going to be worth a lot more than gold in the near future.

Worst thing that can happen is things normalize and prices drop to .25 a round or less and I can get 100k rounds and start regular shooting schedules again.

EricTheRed
10-19-13, 02:24
IMHO it's the weakening of the dollar- inflation, and the increase in raw material cost. I paid $264 shipped for xm193 18mo ago. Wish I had the money to stock up like SteyrAUG, unfortunately I only got one case. I doubt I'll ever see that again, and thus shelled out $429 for x-tac a few weeks ago.

But then, I don't think I'll see prices at the pump, grocery store, liquor store, etc ever go as low as they were two years ago either. It's a systemic failure, and it's not just related to ammo.

jwfuhrman
10-19-13, 09:14
Actually it's higher. There was never the typical 40% markup when it came to ammo. Shipping costs can easily cancel out profit potential as well.

Isn't that the truth. I could have been on par with Walmart on pricing for Tula and a couple other things.... Then I factored in shipping. When Walmart is literally 1/2 mile away, I can't compete. Especially when their shevles are fully stocked with M855 150rd boxes, Tula, Federal 9mm and a bunch of of things.

jesuvuah
10-19-13, 09:32
Well, it will have to follow the laws of supply and demand. I was at a gander mountain fireamrs super center and grand rapids MI last week. They had pallets of ammo on the floor, and everyone was walking past them. The prices were almost double from pre SH. At some point, when everyone has stockpiles of ammo laying around, the prices should drop, but that is assuming there is not another panic. Even if there is another panic though, you would think at some point people will have stocked up on enough and will not need to go buy tons of ammo everytime some idiot shoots someone.

T2C
10-19-13, 09:33
If you find someone who will sell Lake City ammunition for 25 cents a round shipped, I will take 10,000 rounds of it.

jmk
10-19-13, 10:35
If you find someone who will sell Lake City ammunition for 25 cents a round shipped, I will take 10,000 rounds of it.

you and everyone else on the board. ;)

i know you're specifying LC 5.56, but .223 is still good practice and 2nd tier ammo:

CTD had AE .223 @ .38cpr shipped the other day. went pretty fast.
"needs must..." and all that.

i was able to get 300 @ walmart for .40cpr a few weeks ago.
then 150 brassmaxx @ .33cpr a week later
don't get by there too often so don't know how often that's happening.

point is, if CTD is selling at relatively decent prices and walmart has "cheaply" priced actually in-stock, things are at least going in the right direction.

scoutfsu99
10-19-13, 13:48

I did the same thing with a 550b. I bought a ton of stuff in bulk and the last time I figured prices, I was loading for .136 per round. That was with buying $70/1k bullets, free brass (my own 1x fired LC brass - fired by me ;) & free sheriff dept brass), WC844 powder bought, and CCI 400 primers bought in 5k lots.

I bought a lot of 62gr SS109 but sold them all this past spring. I've been buying 55gr for a couple years now and sitting on most of it (starting in late '11).

For me, I'm willing to come out of pocket a significant amount of money if I can justify/rationalize the expenditure. If you want to reload cheaply or at least make your money count in the long run, the only way is to buy in bulk.

punkey71
10-19-13, 16:01
Couldn't agree more. I stock up for YEARS of normal shooting for components and factory ammo. I do it for the bulk price and for future panics.

The panic pricing/availability is not limited to ready to fire ammunition. Reloading components were about as scarce/overpriced as ammo for the last 9 months. All the sudden everyone who can't find a box of ammo at Walmart wants to be a handloader.

When things get to the new "normal" buy what ever you can afford. Ammo/components ain't bananas - they won't spoil sitting in the basement for a decade.

Harold

For me, I'm willing to come out of pocket a significant amount of money if I can justify/rationalize the expenditure. If you want to reload cheaply or at least make your money count in the long run, the only way is to buy in bulk.

Pi3
10-19-13, 17:08
I don't think we will ever get below 2011 prices-say $.34/round.
http://zombiegur.us/ammo/prices-august-14-2011

Javelin
10-19-13, 17:14
I tell you what. Instead of dwelling on .25/round I would stock up as in a couple years we will be looking for sub $1k/1000 rounds....

Seriously it is just a matter of time.

Suwannee Tim
10-19-13, 19:51
.......... so I can watch movies and reload ammo.

Nooooo, noooooo, noooooo. I reload undistracted by movies and I highly recommend it. I am careful and observant and even then I make mistakes. The biggest one so far is 1,000 rounds of 40 S&W with about 200 rounds with no powder charge. Another example, recently I loaded some 416 Rigby with 400 grain bullets. A couple of weeks later I looked at the load data again, I was looking at data for 350 grain bullets. :( I didn't even know Speer made a 350 grain 416. You need to pay attention when reloading.

scoutfsu99
10-19-13, 22:10
Nooooo, noooooo, noooooo. I reload undistracted by movies and I highly recommend it. I am careful and observant and even then I make mistakes. The biggest one so far is 1,000 rounds of 40 S&W with about 200 rounds with no powder charge. Another example, recently I loaded some 416 Rigby with 400 grain bullets. A couple of weeks later I looked at the load data again, I was looking at data for 350 grain bullets. :( I didn't even know Speer made a 350 grain 416. You need to pay attention when reloading.

No kidding. Not paying attention is how you get exploded guns. You gotta pay attention and even do quality checks from time to time.

mk262
10-19-13, 22:24
I think I'm just shy of 40k rounds bought for about $125 per 1000 during the good times. I'm keeping it as my minimum reserve. One way or another it's going to be worth a lot more than gold in the near future.

Worst thing that can happen is things normalize and prices drop to .25 a round or less and I can get 100k rounds and start regular shooting schedules again.

If you have that much ammo, and are afraid to shoot it, you are a Paranoid. Get out of the basement, and get some fresh air.

sr71plane
10-22-13, 07:40
Everything about ammo is high in price. Copper, brass, even lead. Then factor in how heavy it is. Anything made out of copper or brass has gone through the roof over the past 10 years or so. Just go price copper plumbing fittings and see how high they are now. The whole world is using these commodities now, not just the U.S. And the price of shipping has gone crazy with the $3-$4 dollar a gallon fuel prices. Then factor in that the Manufacturer's, distributors, and end sellers of ammo have all seen that most will pay what ever it takes to get ammo.

Sadly, I think that 40 cents and up is the new norm., For quality American made ammo.........I do not think it will get lower.

a1fabweld
10-22-13, 08:36
I agree that raw materials such as brass, copper, & lead are not getting cheaper, but compare 223 pricing from this time last year to now for instance. I was buying PMC for $300 per 1K delivered or factory reloads with LC cases for $300 per 1K. now it's $450.

A 50% increase in a year? I don't think raw materials, wages, & production expenses went up that much in 12 months. The 2A threats our gov't made got us all in a frenzy, we flipped out until the shelves were empty, prices went sky high, they knew we would pay $.80 per round at the peak, & now your average douchebag who doesn't even shoot feels relieved to only be paying $.45 per round compared to $.80. They know this.

But the reason "Why" is neither here nor there. The fact remains that our hobby/passion/profession of shooting has become way FK'ing more expensive this year & will only get worse.

I remember the days of buying a case or three of ammo when it was on sale. Now I buy components by the case when a sale comes around. I haven't bought bulk factory ammo in about 2 years. After the wife & kids go to bed, I have no problem grabbing a beer, cranking up the radio, & reloading for a few hours. It adds up quick. Quicker than I have the time to shoot it. Reloading on my 650 is faster than playing a slot machine & you're a winner every time.

Poomba
10-22-13, 08:48
What's the cheapest price per round you can get, when you are buying 25k at a time? Does that bring it back down to reasonable levels?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

eightmillimeter
10-23-13, 17:28
I tell you what. Instead of dwelling on .25/round I would stock up as in a couple years we will be looking for sub $1k/1000 rounds....

Seriously it is just a matter of time.

Sorry gents but this is the sad truth. A case of XM193 or even my old favorite Win Q3131A (does anyone remember that stuff, the Israeli Win 5.56?) sold for a blistering $189.99 when I started shooting in 2004. Prices fluctuate up and down, but they trend up over time. It is only a matter of time until you are throwing a dollar every time you pull the trigger.

Bello
10-23-13, 17:37
I honestly think it will go down sooner or later as of right now I have a stash of brass .223 and steel .223 factory and a stash of my own handloads!

a1fabweld
10-23-13, 17:49
Sorry gents but this is the sad truth. A case of XM193 or even my old favorite Win Q3131A (does anyone remember that stuff, the Israeli Win 5.56?) sold for a blistering $189.99 when I started shooting in 2004. Prices fluctuate up and down, but they trend up over time. It is only a matter of time until you are throwing a dollar every time you pull the trigger.

Agreed. But unless there's another "Mass Shooting" (Cough, cough, wink, wink), 223 will probably hover around $.40 per round. If a surplus begins to build because people don't want to pay that much for it, it may come down a little so dealers can dump some inventory. But yea, in the big picture, it's only going to go up. In 10 years, us old timers will be telling stories to the youngsters about the good ole' days when we used to buy a case for $400. Lol

eightmillimeter
10-23-13, 21:42
Agreed. But unless there's another "Mass Shooting" (Cough, cough, wink, wink), 223 will probably hover around $.40 per round. If a surplus begins to build because people don't want to pay that much for it, it may come down a little so dealers can dump some inventory. But yea, in the big picture, it's only going to go up. In 10 years, us old timers will be telling stories to the youngsters about the good ole' days when we used to buy a case for $400. Lol

Two years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. However, any dealer who discounts 5.56 ammo to "unload" it (while at the same time knowing how volatile the market will be from 2013 onward) has officially gone full retard. The ammo price may stabilize around .40/round, but we will never see anything lower than that ever again... just my prediction.

a1fabweld
10-23-13, 22:38
Two years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. However, any dealer who discounts 5.56 ammo to "unload" it (while at the same time knowing how volatile the market will be from 2013 onward) has officially gone full retard. The ammo price may stabilize around .40/round, but we will never see anything lower than that ever again... just my prediction.

Maybe. I personally don't know anyone who's buying ammo in today's market like they used to a year ago. My group of friends and I used to buy 5k+ a year each minimum. Now everyone is buying cases of components and rollong their own or buying ammo by the box per range trip. If this is any indicaton of how other shooters are buying, I would imagine ammo isn't flying off the shelves like it used to. I hope this will reflect on the ammo industry and prices may come down. But if our big eared leader opens his trap about more 2A legislation, everyone will flip out again and FK up to the market. Time will tell.

sr71plane
10-24-13, 08:36
Maybe. I personally don't know anyone who's buying ammo in today's market like they used to a year ago. My group of friends and I used to buy 5k+ a year each minimum. Now everyone is buying cases of components and rollong their own or buying ammo by the box per range trip.

Remember, the Big Ammo companies also control most of the component's to reload. I remember years ago when I reloaded. Reloading became a big thing. Then Winchester came out with their USA white box line and Federal came out with American Eagle. PMC also hit the shores. This was much lower priced good quality shooting ammo. Yes, reloading was still cheaper but this ammo was close enough in price that when I figured in my time it was a no brainer. I sold my reloading stuff and started shooting it. This "New" ammo really affected the reloading market in a negative way. With so many folks getting back into reloading again, just watch how the price on component's start to rise, and rise and rise.

Abraham
10-24-13, 15:43
I paid $447.00 for a thousand rounds of 5.56 / 62 grain Lake City about 3 weeks ago at my local Wal Mart.

Some Walmarts are selling the same ammo for $420.00.

bowietx
10-24-13, 20:00
It appears that at least locally noone is buying at $.45 a round and higher. Shelves went from empty to fully stocked and nothing appears to move in this price bracket. Market factors outside of demand did not drive a doubling in price in less than a year. People are not making any more than they were last year and in many cases are making less. Take the fear out of the market and there would be zero demand at these prices. Provided nothing happens to stoke fear it will not remain at today's prices. Manufacturers will find a way to shave cost and sell a lower priced product. Once the market has one manufacturer selling low the rest will follow shortly thereafter.

Pariah Carey
10-25-13, 07:58
Things have been looking better lately. Last time in Wally's I saw a lot of 223/556. Most I've seen in a year probably. It was .40-.45 per. It's looking like maybe the market is ready to take another step down, maybe to sub .35 per round for brass 223. Twice recently I've gotten it online for about .37, free shipping. I've seen brass 9 mil for 23 cents a round.

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-13, 08:34

With all the quantitative easing going on, you're absolutely right. We're literally being robbed blind shitty monetary policy. If I see XM193 hit $0.35 a round I'm buying as much as I can.