PDA

View Full Version : So I was handling an AR in a store with a friend, and she said something interesting.

Tacti-square
10-18-13, 18:28
She freaked out and said all guns should be illegal.

So you want to ban firearms. Not restrict their sale, just ban them completely. That’s cool. No really, I totally respect your opinion. Having said that, there are a few things I can predict about you just from that one statement; 10 things, to be exact.

1. You’ve never shot a gun in your life, and if you did it terrified you.
2. You have zero knowledge of the categorization, intended use, history or capability of any firearm, and you use incorrect vocabulary when describing them.
3. You base your fear level of a firearm off its aesthetic appearance, i.e. how “scary” it looks.
4. The only time you read about guns is in the news, where crime sells a lot of papers.
5. You think the 2nd Amendment is an outdated relic that no longer applies to us.
6. You’ve never had to defend yourself or your family from an intruder or violent attacker.
7. You ignore the existence of a thriving Black Market and think that making guns illegal to buy will keep them out of the hands of criminals.
8. You think crime is a direct result of guns, not the other way around.
9. You lump all gun owners into the same political and ideological stereotype.
10. You saw Bruce Willis blow up a helicopter with a pistol, so you made the informed decision that you didn’t want that in your neighborhood.

So really what you’ve just told me is that you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Nice chat.

26 Inf
10-18-13, 19:06
You didn't know how your friend felt about things such things as religion, guns, politics, hunting?

Seems to me those are pretty early conversations on the adult route to friendship.

I hope you took the time to help her increase her knowledge, with the hope she makes an informed decision with data from both sides, understanding it may not be the decision you want her to make.

Those 10 statements offer a good starting place for 2nd Amendment adherents to begin building an ability to educate/present information about firearms, the sporting uses of firearms, the defensive use of firearm and the aesthetic values that many collectors of firearms value. Mentally contrast present/educate with lecture/condescend as you talk with the person, hard to do but important.

Most anyone can get into the athletic accomplishment of shooting a firearm accurately - take it that way with a person that is unsure about firearms; I'd take it a completely different way for someone interested in self-defense.

Hope you made some headway with her.

tgizzard
10-18-13, 19:07
And you're friends with this person? .... :confused:

I'm kinda confused, was this person not aware before hand that you are a gun owner?

Tacti-square
10-18-13, 19:11
I haven't known her long at all, we go to the same gym and were just hanging out after a workout

bluejackets92fs
10-18-13, 19:35
I haven't known her long at all, we go to the same gym and were just hanging out after a workout

If your luck is like mine, it probably would have ended in a classic friend zone.

Iraqgunz
10-18-13, 19:40
And this has ZERO to do with the AR15 in general.