PDA

View Full Version : New DDM4V7LW

eng208
10-18-13, 21:10
Been looking at these for a week or two on the internet. I've been wanting a LW contoured midlength with a slick, minimal rail for a while. Walked into the store and they had this one. Makes me sick to think how much money I just dropped, but I don't think it could get any better. Now I have to buy the extras. Got a class to run next month. Will take both of my DDM4s to see if the LW is what I think it will be.

chrischandler71
10-18-13, 21:16
Congrats!!! I am new to AR, and just bought my first rifle last week. After doing some research and saving for a few months I got a DDM4V5..

Quick Draw
10-18-13, 21:21
Been looking at these for a week or two on the internet. I've been wanting a LW contoured midlength with a slick, minimal rail for a while. Walked into the store and they had this one. Makes me sick to think how much money I just dropped, but I don't think it could get any better. Now I have to buy the extras. Got a class to run next month. Will take both of my DDM4s to see if the LW is what I think it will be.

What optic do you plan to mount on the LW?

After the class I would like to hear your thoughts on the LW compared to your gov't profile.

eng208
10-18-13, 21:33
It will be an Aimpoint PRO. I am in the process of changing up some things. Have a XPS 3-0 and a 2-0 I am going to get rid of to convert over to the PROs exclusively. I like the way they sit on the rifle a little better. I am also selling a RRA midlength to try to recoupe some of what I spent here. Should of sold it back in January:cray: Might also sell my STAG 2T since I now have two Daniel Defense rifles. The Stag I have has been absolutely flawless and with the H buffer and BCM bolt carrier group shoots very smooth.

britishtq
10-19-13, 01:45
I have a new ddm4v1 I'm relatively happy with. Came brand new with some pre made battle scars but I'm hoping dd fixes that.

Little Creek
10-19-13, 06:23

I love my DDM4V7lw. I mounted a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5x4 with the SPR reticle and the green dot. It shoots great. I will eventually upgrade to a similar scope from Leupold with the auto off/auto on green dot so I can just leave the dot on all the time. Since I am LH I put a Raptor charging handle, Norgon mag catch, and ambi fire selector switch. It also has a Geissle SSA Trigger. I just bought a Surefire Fury light and am waiting on an IW mount for the light at this time. It recoils up and left with me, I am searching for a compensator to remedy that. Any suggestions?

Austin Millbarge
10-19-13, 06:44
I have a V5 LW and love it. I have a 3x30 ACOG on mine.

New Centurion
10-19-13, 08:11
I have been looking at the v7 also. I saw that Grant posted a DD+PRO optic deal recently.

Since LW or Govt profile barrel is one of the factors I'm weighing as well, I'd be curious on your intended role for the LW v7.

I briefly owned a CAR-15 style Olympic Arms about 30yrs ago, and every M16/M4 weapon I've used since has been issued to me, so I'm not sure why I'm even getting hung up on the barrel profile of a DD I may theoretically purchase some day...First World problems.

Dollylamma
10-19-13, 08:42
Little Creek. Are you shooting thumb over bore? You shouldn't need a compensator, but if that's your flavor roll on. I will say when you attend classes no one wants to shoot beside a compensator.

As far as Daniel gear, I own an upper and have a lot of their gear on a BCM, would not hesitate to buy.

Quick Draw
10-19-13, 12:01
It will be an Aimpoint PRO. I am in the process of changing up some things. Have a XPS 3-0 and a 2-0 I am going to get rid of to convert over to the PROs exclusively. I like the way they sit on the rifle a little better. I am also selling a RRA midlength to try to recoupe some of what I spent here. Should of sold it back in January:cray: Might also sell my STAG 2T since I now have two Daniel Defense rifles. The Stag I have has been absolutely flawless and with the H buffer and BCM bolt carrier group shoots very smooth.

Excellent choice!

I believe the Aimpoint PRO is the most bang for the buck in a quality red dot optic.

eng208
10-19-13, 12:06
I have been looking at the v7 also. I saw that Grant posted a DD+PRO optic deal recently.

Since LW or Govt profile barrel is one of the factors I'm weighing as well, I'd be curious on your intended role for the LW v7.

I briefly owned a CAR-15 style Olympic Arms about 30yrs ago, and every M16/M4 weapon I've used since has been issued to me, so I'm not sure why I'm even getting hung up on the barrel profile of a DD I may theoretically purchase some day...First World problems.

What role? Shoot things. :happy: Just a lightweight fast handling carbine I can throw on the golf cart and do everything with. I'm not a cop, but have had some of the best training with handguns and carbines and enjoy that as a hobby. Truth is, my RRA and my Stag along with my DDM4 have always completed any task I ever came up with. I just always felt like if I could take a first class quality AR carbine, make it a lightweight quality barrel, add a lightweight slick tube, have just enough rail space for a small G2 flashlight, and stick a PRO on it, it would be the perfect all around rifle. I never shoot my bolt action rifles anymore. I just load the 5.56 in weights from 55 gr to 75 gr OT and have fun. Don't really see any wild animals around here to shoot at anymore. Guess the Coyotes and other wild animals put the word out.
I don't think we will ever get to the point where we roll around with a bunch of gunfighters hanging off the back of our pickup trucks all armed with ARs ready to engage the first looter we come across. I just enjoy shooting and spending my hard earned money on things I like. I may have spent too much on this though!:alcoholic:

Mbmadness
10-24-13, 17:57
I am looking to trade in my RRA elit comp for a m4v5lw . I want to train and I shoot a good bit but concerned about lw barrel . Should I go with the regular heavy barrel ? Or is the lw gtg ? Thanx for any help

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
10-24-13, 18:08
I am looking to trade in my RRA elit comp for a m4v5lw . I want to train and I shoot a good bit but concerned about lw barrel . Should I go with the regular heavy barrel ? Or is the lw gtg ? Thanx for any help

The government profile barrel literally gives you no advantage over the lightweight barrel but does add weight up front. Go with the light weight barrel.

Split66
10-24-13, 19:49
Just a couple notes

The MFR gets wickedly hot in short order, wrap it or wear gloves.

Loctite the rails, they come loose very easily.

Good luck with your carbine.

eng208
10-24-13, 20:51
It's not new anymore. Wasn't able to get another PRO but stuck my XPS 3-0 I have on it. Fired 200 rds from sand bags and standing. I love the slick hand guard and the mid length set up. Shoots really smooth and was keeping a very tight group at 50 yds.
For the bad, the first pull of the trigger was a failure to fire. Hammer dropped, but did not ignite primer. Ejected the round and had a light primer strike. First thought was maybe I didn't have the firing pin in completely before inserting the firing pin retainer. Checked that. Nope. That was good. Reinserted the BCG and placed the same round back in the mag. This time, it went bang. No further issues in the 200 rds. The trigger is horrible though. Lots of gritty creep. I lubed the trigger surfaces well and worked the surfaces in by quite a few releases. It got marginally better. It's like running a piece of chalk across concrete.
On a side note to stir the pot, I had my old RRA mid length LW out too. It fired about 50 rds flawlessly and print 5 hole clusters consistently. The trigger on it feels better, but also feels fragile compared to a GI trigger.
I will be sure and check all the screws and witness mark them. Thanks

Mbmadness
10-24-13, 23:13
My rra elite comp is a great shooter , and I luv the 2 stage trigger . Really curious about the mil-spec rifles .

kevN
10-25-13, 00:24
My rra elite comp is a great shooter , and I luv the 2 stage trigger . Really curious about the mil-spec rifles .

RRA triggers are known to shit the bed pretty consistently. If I had an RRA still it would be one of the first reliability upgrades I would make.

The geissele triggers are rock solid and feels better 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fivestar51
10-25-13, 04:10
Very nice. I also just picked one of these up two weeks ago. Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to get her zero'd in. I put about 100 rounds thur it without a single issue....From Hornady 75 TAP down to 55gr Wolf...all of it was 100%. The trigger was horrible though. Before firing it I switched it out for a CMMG trigger that I had in another rifle. Eventually I'm gonna replace my M&P15 with this for my work gun.

So far, Im quite happy!

eng208
10-25-13, 08:48
RRA triggers are known to shit the bed pretty consistently. If I had an RRA still it would be one of the first reliability upgrades I would make.

The geissele triggers are rock solid and feels better 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
Yes, having one of these triggers, I agree this is a weak point. While it feels nice, I don't trust it for more than 1000 rds. Mine has about 3000 on it. It is officially my "golf cart gun". I have considerable hammer wear that shouldn't be there just from the bolt riding over it. Seems much softer than it should be.
:eek:
My other DD has about 1k through it now and save for just a little creep, it has turned out pretty nice. At least it is smooth creep:D
My Stag 2T has the best GI trigger out of the 10 ARs I have owned.

ra2bach
10-25-13, 12:17

chop that V1 to 14.5" and you'll see how this gun can really handle...

Little Creek
10-26-13, 05:52
Little Creek. Are you shooting thumb over bore? You shouldn't need a compensator, but if that's your flavor roll on. I will say when you attend classes no one wants to shoot beside a compensator.

As far as Daniel gear, I own an upper and have a lot of their gear on a BCM, would not hesitate to buy.

I am LH and am shooting thumb over bore. I almost always shoot 62 grain 5.56. It is not the recoil per se that bothers me. I just want to stay on the target for faster repeated shots. I am thinking of getting an Effin-A compensator. Anyone have expierence with this comp.