PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Most Terrifying Supreme Court Decisions

Magic_Salad0892
10-19-13, 02:36
http://www.cracked.com/article_19991_the-5-most-terrifying-supreme-court-decisions.html?wa_user1=4&wa_user2=History&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

You guy might like this one. I checked sources. It seems legit.

SteyrAUG
10-19-13, 02:45
Glad to see the recent ED ruling and the forced sterilization decision were listed.

chuckman
10-19-13, 09:38
Glad to see the recent ED ruling and the forced sterilization decision were listed.

ED is a huge issue with me (and I DON'T mean erectile dysfunction!). This to me is one of the biggest myths about and threats to property ownership.

Moose-Knuckle
10-19-13, 13:03
Yeah, that's not really even the tip of the iceberg. Reinforces why we must never allow ourselves to be disarmed.

Moose-Knuckle
10-19-13, 13:06
This to me is one of the biggest myths about and threats to property ownership.

Marvin Heemeyer, town took his property . . . he bulldozed the town down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

Magic_Salad0892
10-19-13, 13:26
Marvin Heemeyer, town took his property . . . he bulldozed the town down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

Is that the guy who built a killdozer that even the cops couldn't blow through?

ForTehNguyen
10-19-13, 14:04
no Wickard vs Filburn eh?

ABNAK
10-19-13, 14:17
I love how the law and order guys say "The SCOTUS has final say" or "It's been ruled legal by SCOTUS". The first thing that pops into my mind then is the Dredd Scott case that upheld slavery. Yeah, they're infinitely wise alright........(rebellious authoritah bucker that I am and all)

Moose-Knuckle
10-19-13, 14:29
Is that the guy who built a killdozer that even the cops couldn't blow through?

Yeap, he went out by his own hand on his own time AFTER he took down the town. Some people you just don't **** with. ED didn't really workout for that town.

Irish
10-19-13, 18:19
Something I found pretty interesting, doing a bit of research on eugenics for a paper, was the fact that the Nazis were actually inspired by the U.S., specifically California. Pretty interesting article if you'd like to read more on the subject, a couple highlights below: http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Eugenics-and-the-Nazis-the-California-2549771.php

Even the U.S. Supreme Court endorsed aspects of eugenics. In its infamous 1927 decision, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote, "It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind . . . Three generations of imbeciles are enough."

During the '20s, Carnegie Institution eugenic scientists cultivated deep personal and professional relationships with Germany's fascist eugenicists. In "Mein Kampf," published in 1924, Hitler quoted American eugenic ideology and openly displayed a thorough knowledge of American eugenics. "There is today one state," wrote Hitler, "in which at least weak beginnings toward a better conception (of immigration) are noticeable. Of course, it is not our model German Republic, but the United States."

Hitler proudly told his comrades just how closely he followed the progress of the American eugenics movement. "I have studied with great interest," he told a fellow Nazi, "the laws of several American states concerning prevention of reproduction by people whose progeny would, in all probability, be of no value or be injurious to the racial stock."

Hitler even wrote a fan letter to American eugenics leader Madison Grant, calling his race-based eugenics book, "The Passing of the Great Race," his "bible."

In 1934, as Germany's sterilizations were accelerating beyond 5,000 per month, the California eugenics leader C. M. Goethe, upon returning from Germany, ebulliently bragged to a colleague, "You will be interested to know that your work has played a powerful part in shaping the opinions of the group of intellectuals who are behind Hitler in this epoch-making program. Everywhere I sensed that their opinions have been tremendously stimulated by American thought . . . I want you, my dear friend, to carry this thought with you for the rest of your life, that you have really jolted into action a great government of 60 million people."

That same year, 10 years after Virginia passed its sterilization act, Joseph DeJarnette, superintendent of Virginia's Western State Hospital, observed in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, "The Germans are beating us at our own game."

The translation is "We do not stand alone". It's a Nazi poster from 1936 introducing compulsory sterilization legislation. The United States flag is prominently displayed as one of the eugenic states of the world.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Wir_stehen_nicht_allein.png

SteyrAUG
10-20-13, 00:58
Yeap, he went out by his own hand on his own time AFTER he took down the town. Some people you just don't **** with. ED didn't really workout for that town.

Looked it up and it doesn't seem like a ED case so much as a Code and Zoning case. Either way, when you leave a man with nothing, he doesn't have much left to lose.

SteyrAUG
10-20-13, 01:03
Something I found pretty interesting, doing a bit of research on eugenics for a paper, was the fact that the Nazis were actually inspired by the U.S., specifically California. Pretty interesting article if you'd like to read more on the subject, a couple highlights below: http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Eugenics-and-the-Nazis-the-California-2549771.php

The translation is "We do not stand alone". It's a Nazi poster from 1936 introducing compulsory sterilization legislation. The United States flag is prominently displayed as one of the eugenic states of the world.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Wir_stehen_nicht_allein.png

IIRC the UK was the pioneering force, but we hopped on the bandwagon pretty quick. And yes, Germany took a lot from us including our immigration policies, eugenics program and even patterned their Hitler Youth after the Boy Scouts to a certain extent.

Magic_Salad0892
10-20-13, 01:19
Learn something new every day.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15767_third-reich-to-fortune-500-five-popular-brands-nazis-gave-us.html

^

I have a feeling that Steyr will like that article.

SeriousStudent
10-20-13, 01:26
You mentioned Dred Scott, and the article mentioned Korematsu vs United States. I was going to add Plessy vs Ferguson. I politely mentioned these three to one of my co-workers, who was braying that "Obamacare had been approved by SCOTUS."

I said that SCOTUS had therefore approved slavery, internment based on race, and segregation. Was she in favor of those as well?

All I got in return was a "**** you, Serious."

My Grinch heart grew three sizes that day. :D

SteyrAUG
10-20-13, 03:19
Learn something new every day.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15767_third-reich-to-fortune-500-five-popular-brands-nazis-gave-us.html

^

I have a feeling that Steyr will like that article.

Knew about all five and a few more. But the article had some good details.

Nightvisionary
10-20-13, 04:02
This quote from the part of the article concerning Japanese internment is 100% false,

The idea was that the risk of Japanese espionage (despite never having actually occurred) outweighed Korematsu's individual rights.

The Niihau Incident on December 7th 1941 proved that Japanese Americans were more than willing to actively assist the Japanese military.

And from this source:http://www.rightwingnews.com/column-2/a-review-of-michelle-malkins-in-defense-of-internment-2/

Cables decoded from the Japanese in May 1941 said in part,

We have already established contacts with absolutely reliable Japanese in the San Pedro and San Diego area, who will keep a close watch on all shipments of airplanes and other war materials…”

That same cable also stated that the Japanese had Japanese-American spies in the Army and that they were watching traffic crossing the American / Mexican border.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-20-13, 06:27
This quote from the part of the article concerning Japanese internment is 100% false,

The Niihau Incident on December 7th 1941 proved that Japanese Americans were more than willing to actively assist the Japanese military.

And from this source:http://www.rightwingnews.com/column-2/a-review-of-michelle-malkins-in-defense-of-internment-2/

Well lock em all up then!

Dienekes
10-20-13, 10:03
Somewhere I've got a cartoon of then Chief Justice Roger Taney of Dred Scott fame rubbing a magic lamp. Out pops a gigantic, wild-eyed John Brown, complete with Bible and Sharps rifle. Taney, stunned, says, "Oops."

BIG reset on that one...

Belmont31R
10-20-13, 10:57
DOMA should be on there after they ruled the court can rule on laws simply based on merit. Don't need an injured party, or even a plaintiff or defendent, really.

ABNAK
10-20-13, 12:21
DOMA should be on there after they ruled the court can rule on laws simply based on merit. Don't need an injured party, or even a plaintiff or defendent, really.

Flip side of that coin is that they *should* be able to hear a case on Obama's arbitrary delays of Obamacare (when a timeline is written into the law) as well as arbitrary waivers. If what your saying is true then we shouldn't need a "plaintiff" or aggrieved party to get SCOTUS to hear it. The GOP itself should be able to push it.

JBecker 72
10-20-13, 12:47
Wow is about all I can say to that.

Nightvisionary
10-20-13, 14:13
Well lock em all up then!

We did and it worked.;)

MountainRaven
10-20-13, 15:27
We did and it worked.;)

Yeah. F___in' Japs. We locked them all up and all they gave us was the most decorated infantry regiment in the history of the US Army.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-20-13, 17:10
We did and it worked.;)

Wow, I finally found someone to put on my ignore list!

ABNAK
10-20-13, 17:17
Yeah. F___in' Japs. We locked them all up and all they gave us was the most decorated infantry regiment in the history of the US Army.

As an aside, I just read about the Niihau Incident on Wiki. Holy crap! I consider myself a history buff but never heard about that. The Hawaiian guy who was decorated was shot three times by the Jap pilot and then was still able to fling him into a stone wall! Rough old dude, gonna guess one of those burly Hawaiians too.

I would say that incident was akin to some American Muslims not being critical (enough) of the 9-11 attacks and then some subsequently participating in terrorism, either here or abroad. However, unlike WWII we didn't lock all Muslims up. Different times from 70 years ago.

MountainRaven
10-20-13, 18:18
As an aside, I just read about the Niihau Incident on Wiki. Holy crap! I consider myself a history buff but never heard about that. The Hawaiian guy who was decorated was shot three times by the Jap pilot and then was still able to fling him into a stone wall! Rough old dude, gonna guess one of those burly Hawaiians too.

I would say that incident was akin to some American Muslims not being critical (enough) of the 9-11 attacks and then some subsequently participating in terrorism, either here or abroad. However, unlike WWII we didn't lock all Muslims up. Different times from 70 years ago.

So three Japanese Americans are reason enough to 'suspend' the natural rights of every American of Japanese descent but forty-four Germans and Americans of German descent (six of whom were put to death by electric chair) are tried and convicted of espionage... and the position of Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe was still entrusted to a man named 'Eisenhower'?

Thank God we live in a different time. I shudder to think that McVeigh, Nicols, and the Fortiers could have given the government sufficient legal justification to put every vet returning from the Middle-East (along with their families) into concentration camps.

Nightvisionary
10-20-13, 18:29

Good point but at the same time '28 percent (of draft age Japanese-American evacuees) refused to swear allegiance to their country or forswear allegiance to the emperor of Japan'.

The 442nd RCT fought with vigor against Germans. Would they have fought as valiantly against the Japanese? I don't know.

It was a different time that most of us cannot understand. It was a fight for national survival. It wasn't anything like the wars we have fought against ragtag militias and 3rd rate armies over the last 20 years.

How many of us have been up against an enemy that at times had naval and air superiority, whose troops were as well trained, led, disciplined, and equipped as any U.S. Marine or Army infantry unit at the time.

It's easy to second guess decisions with complete hindsight.

Nightvisionary
10-20-13, 18:35

Of course Al Qaida never had flotillas of aircraft carriers, battleships, and submarines off of our west coast as well as their flags flying over half of our pacific bases. Yes a very different time.

MountainRaven
10-20-13, 18:42
Good point but at the same time '28 percent (of draft age Japanese-American evacuees) refused to swear allegiance to their country or forswear allegiance to the emperor of Japan'.

The 442nd RCT fought with vigor against Germans. Would they have fought as valiantly against the Japanese? I don't know.

It was a different time that most of us cannot understand. It was a fight for national survival. It wasn't anything like the wars we have fought against ragtag militias and 3rd rate armies over the last 20 years.

How many of us have been up against an enemy that at times had naval and air superiority, whose troops were as well trained, led, disciplined, and equipped as any U.S. Marine or Army infantry unit at the time.

It's easy to second guess decisions with complete hindsight.

It should always be easy to second guess decisions that result in the suspensions of God-given human rights, whether its throwing people into concentration camps because of vague physiological reasons or signing away the rights of all Americans to make it easier for the Federal government to spy on all of us.

And if you started throwing people in concentration camps, I bet you'd find startlingly few people on this board willing to swear allegiance to the United States. It would be hard enough as it is with Obama in office. Must mean we should have every piece of property we can't carry with us confiscated and be thrown into concentration camps.

ABNAK
10-20-13, 21:40
So three Japanese Americans are reason enough to 'suspend' the natural rights of every American of Japanese descent but forty-four Germans and Americans of German descent (six of whom were put to death by electric chair) are tried and convicted of espionage... and the position of Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe was still entrusted to a man named 'Eisenhower'?

Brush up on your reading skills. I never even insinuated that locking up Americans of Japanese descent was okay. I was surprised to read the story and was trying to draw a modern-day analagous situation where we didn't lock up entire communities.

MountainRaven
10-20-13, 23:37
Brush up on your reading skills. I never even insinuated that locking up Americans of Japanese descent was okay. I was surprised to read the story and was trying to draw a modern-day analagous situation where we didn't lock up entire communities.

Sorry.

I got caught up in my very important internet crusade.

:alcoholic: