PDA

View Full Version : Anderson vs. PSA/Wilson Stainless barrels

mikedamageinc
10-19-13, 18:35
I'm looking to build a 20-24" rifle mostly for 100 yard and eventually 200-300 yard range use (and if any other opportunity presented itself, maybe varmint). No competition, no severe duty or harsh environment. Just a decent quality, relatively accurate weapon.

I have everything picked out or in hand and the only thing I haven't decided on is the barrel. I like either the PSA 20" CHF 410 stainless $300, Wilson match grade super sniper 416 $250 or this 24" Anderson 416 fluted and nonthreaded barrel $240.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/barrels/5-56-223/20.html

http://www.andersonrifles.net/index.php/24-416r-stainess-steel-fluted-barrel-5-56-223.html#.UmMSCnrD8m8

I like the look of the crown but haven't shot a non-muzzle device AR so not sure if the rise will be much worse, though the barrel is much heavier than my lightweight 16" AR so may not be bad.

I also will be using 55 or 62 grain cheap ammo from tulammo (no shame) to federal m193 and any decent reloads I can get but definitely no match grade high end stuff. If anyone has input about these three (or another similar) barrel choices I would greatly appreciate it.

TacticalMark
10-19-13, 20:36
I would take a hard look at the offerings from Rainier Arms for what your building. https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2902
I don't have any experience with the Anderson, the FN barrels offered from PSA are nice. Love the Wilson 1911 barrels but have no experience with their AR stuff.

jesuvuah
10-19-13, 21:40
I don't have experience with the 20", but I do have a 16" psa 410 SS CHF barrel (made by FN) and it seems to shoot quite well. I was shooting 3/4-1moa with bulk PMC. Have not had a chance to run match grad ammo yet but I look forward to seeing what it can do.

justin_247
10-20-13, 15:07
I'm looking to build a 20-24" rifle mostly for 100 yard and eventually 200-300 yard range use (and if any other opportunity presented itself, maybe varmint). No competition, no severe duty or harsh environment. Just a decent quality, relatively accurate weapon.

I have everything picked out or in hand and the only thing I haven't decided on is the barrel. I like either the PSA 20" CHF 410 stainless $300, Wilson match grade super sniper 416 $250 or this 24" Anderson 416 fluted and nonthreaded barrel $240.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/barrels/5-56-223/20.html

http://www.andersonrifles.net/index.php/24-416r-stainess-steel-fluted-barrel-5-56-223.html#.UmMSCnrD8m8

I like the look of the crown but haven't shot a non-muzzle device AR so not sure if the rise will be much worse, though the barrel is much heavier than my lightweight 16" AR so may not be bad.

I also will be using 55 or 62 grain cheap ammo from tulammo (no shame) to federal m193 and any decent reloads I can get but definitely no match grade high end stuff. If anyone has input about these three (or another similar) barrel choices I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry, but buying an SS, match barrel that's 20-24" long to shoot the crappiest ammo available at less than 300 yds makes no sense at all.

You're better off with a plain old 16" CMV barrel from a reputable manufacturer.

briank
10-20-13, 16:21
I'm sorry, but buying an SS, match barrel that's 20-24" long to shoot the crappiest ammo available at less than 300 yds makes no sense at all.

You're better off with a plain old 16" CMV barrel from a reputable manufacturer.

I agree. Buying a quality stainless barrel to try and squeeze every bit of "accuracy" out of that ammo is counter productive. If you'd like accuracy for varmint shootin', I have a standard 16" cmv rock river 1 in 9 barrel that does slightly under 1MOA with 69g FGMM. Then again, so does my CL 16" in my LMT. Funnel the extra savings into your glass and trigger.

^Rb
10-20-13, 18:11

Seriously, why the 20-24" stainless barrel???? Especially if you intend on feeding it steel surplus rounds...

You can accomplish the same thing with a standard 16" chrome-lined barrel, and for less $$ than a stainless one. You can probably even find a Melonite-coated 16" barrel that'd make cleaning a bit easier too.

justin_247
10-20-13, 18:21
Here's a standard, 16" CMV button-rifled barrel from BCM... a very high quality product for a very good price: $239.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16%20std.htm

If you are absolutely sure you want an SS barrel, it'd be hard to beat these barrels from Rainier Arms, especially when it's $250 and less.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_barrels_rainierarms_matchseries

mikedamageinc
10-20-13, 18:38
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate what you are saying. I guess I just want a stainless barrel and since I can keep it lubed and protected, I don't need it coated and plus I just want a longer barrel. I understand want isn't a justification of a particular tool but the barrels I'm looking at are in the same price range as a decent 16" and I already have one anyway. I may eventually treat it to some good ammo but I know my skills need to be honed in the mean time. I'm leaning towards the 24" Anderson which is only 240 and if there is no negative to the barrel being long or stainless, then that's the main concern.

Thanks again and welcome any other input.

wideglide
10-20-13, 20:28
Sorry, I am a little confused. I completely understand the idea of not needing a premium stainless barrel for low end ammo but as the OP stated the prices don't show the Wilson barrel at a price that is any higher. So in the end what is the difference? I am a little confused with the OP's goals here though, maybe just personal preference?

"I have everything picked out or in hand and the only thing I haven't decided on is the barrel. I like either the PSA 20" CHF 410 stainless $300, Wilson match grade super sniper 416 $250 or this 24" Anderson 416 fluted and nonthreaded barrel $240."

briank
10-20-13, 21:53
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate what you are saying. I guess I just want a stainless barrel and since I can keep it lubed and protected, I don't need it coated and plus I just want a longer barrel. I understand want isn't a justification of a particular tool but the barrels I'm looking at are in the same price range as a decent 16" and I already have one anyway. I may eventually treat it to some good ammo but I know my skills need to be honed in the mean time. I'm leaning towards the 24" Anderson which is only 240 and if there is no negative to the barrel being long or stainless, then that's the main concern.

Thanks again and welcome any other input.

Actually, I think want is perfect justification. I was under the impression you wanted a stainless barrel to counter the less than stellar accuracy of the noted ammo, that's my bad. If someone says "because I like it" or "its just what I want", to me, the argument is over. We all have our opinions. Ill be the first to admit I bought something just because I liked it even though it wasn't practical. While I wouldn't use a barrel like that for said purpose, that doesn't mean you can't. So I think you should buy what you want. Stainless barrels have been more than proven for general use as well as in battle rifles, and with excellent accuracy. Weight would be my only other concern but it sounds like you'll be sitting behind it most of the time anyway, not lugging it around. So back to the original question then. I've had decent success out of Wilson barrels in CMV with match ammo just under 1MOA as well as XM193 around 3MOA. That 1in9 LOVED AE 50g Varmint tipped ammo, for what its worth. They also do well with their .308 barrels. I have extensively shot a RRA HBAR .308 with hand loaded 175g Amaxes and that turned into a 1/2 moa rifle, although that particular round had to be fed one at a time. Sorry for rambling...anyway, out of the three listed I would go with the Wilson and rock a comp.

+1 on the BCM though, I have a new 14.5" BFH i'm doing some testing on now and I love it so far. Accuracy looks to be VERY capable for a CL barrel. If BCM stainless was thrown in the mix it would be a hard choice then... I'd probably go BCM.

mikedamageinc
10-31-13, 10:09
So I found a Wilson 20" SS wylde barrel in stock and put it on order. It has all the same specs as the other ones I've seen but is $50 cheaper, doesnt appear to be bead blasted, and doesnt say match grade (probably doesnt even matter). Does anyone know how many different variants Wilson makes of the SS barrels? Google doesnt have much info.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/WilsonArms20.223Wylde1x8StainlessSteelBullBarrelStripped.aspx

I've thought about things and this one wont be shooting steel but some decent brass for now, no point pinching pennies when I wont exactly be unloaded mag after mag in this one so might as well put a little better stuff in it.

Anyways, range report and pics to follow in the next week or two.

wideglide
10-31-13, 11:24
So I found a Wilson 20" SS wylde barrel in stock and put it on order. It has all the same specs as the other ones I've seen but is $50 cheaper, doesnt appear to be bead blasted, and doesnt say match grade (probably doesnt even matter). Does anyone know how many different variants Wilson makes of the SS barrels? Google doesnt have much info.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/WilsonArms20.223Wylde1x8StainlessSteelBullBarrelStripped.aspx

I've thought about things and this one wont be shooting steel but some decent brass for now, no point pinching pennies when I wont exactly be unloaded mag after mag in this one so might as well put a little better stuff in it.

Anyways, range report and pics to follow in the next week or two.

I see an manufacturer # on the page you listed above, which should be able to help you get info from Wilson themselves.

opsoff1
10-31-13, 11:30
I looked at the Anderson link and I have to say, my little red flag goes up when I see specs that say "Chambered 5.56/.223"
Before anyone lights me up - I am well versed on chambering & the differences - I own 6 different 223 Rem reamers and 1 556 NATO reamer. There are just a plethora of different reamers and some have significant variances - 556 NATO vs a 223 Rem are significant.
Wylde chambers are great - they offer very good accuracy (assuming everything else is right) and function well with a wide range of ammo types. Never had pressure issues with a Wylde chamber.
Advertisements that state stuff like that make my skin crawl.
Back on topic - I wholeheartedly agree with some of the replies in that buying a stainless bbl and feeding it bargain ammo is a bit divulgent from your goal of shooting 2-300 with some degree of accuracy.
Also bear in mind that a longer barrel will change how the rifle functions - that bullet acts as a cork and with a longer tube - you are lengthening the gas impulse - the gun will run dirtier - been there done that on a number of rifles.
Additionally - stainless isn't corrosion proof - they will rust.
I'd stick with a good 20" bbl and feed it quality ammo - your fun meter will be pegged.

RWH24
10-31-13, 23:31
My understanding is, SS barrels have a shorter lifespan than a CMV barrel that is chrome lined and especially Cold Hammer Forged.

Barrel Life??

Is your bargain barrel really going to be of great value?