PDA

View Full Version : Noveske upper and S&W MP15T lower

S&W MP15T
10-20-13, 11:16
I'm thinking about getting a Noveske 16" Recon upper and putting it on my S&W MP15T lower. While looking at the Noveske website, I noticed that their rifles come with H buffers. Not sure what buffer and spring is in my lower, but would I need to have a H buffer?

By way of explanation, I'm pretty happy with my S&W MP15T. I modified the lower with a Magpul MOE+ grip and a Geissele G2S trigger. But, I'm thinking about doing this because I'm fascinated with polygonal rifling as my HK pistols are also polygonal. My plan would be to put a good 3-9X scope on the Noveske for more precise shooting and be able to swap it with my MP15T upper that has a Burris 3x red dot on it.

So, basically, I'm asking the experts if this sounds reasonable, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a complete Noveske rifle and mod that. I'd rather save unnecessary expense if possible.

Javelin
10-20-13, 12:14
I'm thinking about getting a Noveske 16" Recon upper and putting it on my S&W MP15T lower. While looking at the Noveske website, I noticed that their rifles come with H buffers. Not sure what buffer and spring is in my lower, but would I need to have a H buffer?

By way of explanation, I'm pretty happy with my S&W MP15T. I modified the lower with a Magpul MOE+ grip and a Geissele G2S trigger. But, I'm thinking about doing this because I'm fascinated with polygonal rifling as my HK pistols are also polygonal. My plan would be to put a good 3-9X scope on the Noveske for more precise shooting and be able to swap it with my MP15T upper that has a Burris 3x red dot on it.

So, basically, I'm asking the experts if this sounds reasonable, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a complete Noveske rifle and mod that. I'd rather save unnecessary expense if possible.

Yes H buffer. If you're going to get a Noveske save yourself the trouble and just buy the gun. I bet within a year you will be looking for a chainsaw lower or a stripped/complete lower if you get the upper. It's not that your rifle will perform better but Noveske stuff is just plain sexy.

NoveskeFan
10-20-13, 12:20
Yes H buffer. If you're going to get a Noveske save yourself the trouble and just buy the gun. I bet within a year you will be looking for a chainsaw lower or a stripped/complete lower if you get the upper. It's not that your rifle will perform better but Noveske stuff is just plain sexy.

I agree...in an unbiased way :D

Dead Man
10-20-13, 12:55
What's more important to you? Aesthetics or saving some money? There's absolutely nothing a Noveske lower offers that the S&W doesn't provide, function wise. If you want them to match, buy a complete rifle. If you want to save money, don't.

http://www.drodd.com/images8/funny-face3.jpg

_Stormin_
10-20-13, 13:03

Your rifle should function with the standard carbine buffer that should have come in your MP15T. You should experience less bolt bounce using the H buffer when firing 5.56 ammo. The buffer isn't an expensive swap, so I would go for it.

Should work just fine. Is the Noveske upper simply to have a polygonal riffled barrel? If so, can I ask what you find so intriguing about it?

I don't know if I am an expert, but I can say that there is nothing wrong with having a few uppers to use with a single lower. As long as they will all function with the same buffer and spring (your S&W should be able to run with an H buffer) you're good to go. I would skip buying a second lower of another complete rifle and spend the money on ammo and training.

S&W MP15T
10-20-13, 13:30
Thanks to all for your input.

If there's no real difference to be had, I'll probably just go with getting the upper. Midway has the Noveske AR-15 Rogue Hunter A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 7" Twist 16" Barrel Stainless Steel with NSR-13.5 Free Float Handguard for $1134. A complete rifle would be almost double that. Hard to justify if there only an aesthetic improvement.

As far as my fascination with polygonal barrels, it's not particularly rational. I've read that you get a bit more velocity and some accuracy gains. I'm also interested in the reported lower fouling.

I'm currently running a auto RCA BCG, and haven't had any problems, so should I still go with a H buffer? Spring?

Thanks!

Javelin
10-20-13, 13:53
Thanks to all for your input.

If there's no real difference to be had, I'll probably just go with getting the upper. Midway has the Noveske AR-15 Rogue Hunter A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 7" Twist 16" Barrel Stainless Steel with NSR-13.5 Free Float Handguard for $1134. A complete rifle would be almost double that. Hard to justify if there only an aesthetic improvement.

As far as my fascination with polygonal barrels, it's not particularly rational. I've read that you get a bit more velocity and some accuracy gains. I'm also interested in the reported lower fouling.

I'm currently running a auto RCA BCG, and haven't had any problems, so should I still go with a H buffer? Spring?

Thanks!

I would just forget the H buffer. I'm still pretty confident that you will be looking for a Noveske lower a little later. You can find them for ~$450 complete or a chainsaw lower for less and build it yourself. Then sell your S&W lower to make back $200.