PDA

View Full Version : Dented shells during extraction

rapomstage3
10-20-13, 17:23
Ok I know the fixes and band aids but let me lay this out. My upper went in to a company for warranty work to correct the zero being 22 clicks off of mechanical zero and a couple small details like the gas block contacting the rail. Anyways, they decided to replace the complete upper bcg and all. I have it back now and it is denting the shells and of course it wasn't before. They sent me an extractor spring and it still does it. This particular rifle uses a standard buffer so i tried it with my bcm lower and h buffer but it is still doing it. I just don't want it to be over gassed. I've fired 200 rounds since i got it back including xm193 steel case wolf and hand loads. All are identical. It seems as if the extractor is letting go at the very end of the stroke.while it is functioning 100% . shells eject 3 o clock consistently but the dents have never been there before. Before anyone questions the company, just know that it is a top tier highly regarded (especially here) company. So do i live with it or send it back before the warranty runs out? Thanks.

Sasahara
10-20-13, 17:27
Sorry, do you mean it is denting during extraction or the empty casings are hitting the brass deflector?

rapomstage3
10-20-13, 17:30
I'm sorry yes, it's from the deflector. It's hitting the very inside corner what seems to be violent compadres to before. The recoil is still manageable but I can't help but think that maybe it would be softer.

AKDoug
10-20-13, 20:48
Both my DD and BCM rifles dent the brass running H buffers. It doesn't hurt anything.

Ryno12
10-20-13, 21:10
Yep, pretty normal. I have a few with H2s and an A5, they all dent brass.

Sent via Tapatalk

rapomstage3
10-20-13, 21:28
Good to hear. Thanks guys.

Iraqgunz
10-21-13, 03:52
You said you don't want it to be overgassed, unfortunately the only fix is a proper gas port size or a drop in gas port reducer from Clint.

Since you don't mention the barrel it's hard to know for sure. Also since you didn't post pics of your brass we can only gas it's normal. My guess is that it is normal.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-21-13, 06:03
Not being a reloader, I am curious as to wether or not this would keep your from being able to reload your 5.56 brass?

Ryno12
10-21-13, 06:20
Not being a reloader, I am curious as to wether or not this would keep your from being able to reload your 5.56 brass?

The OP didn't provide pics but if they resemble my deflector dents, they're reloadable. In fact, most of the dent comes out during resizing & what's left, gets shot out.

Sent via Tapatalk

rapomstage3
10-21-13, 07:14
They are reloadable for sure. I was trying to stay away from pics for the companies sake. The dents seem less aggressive with the new extractor springs. The dents are about half way down the case. It seems like it's letting go of the case at the very end. But it is a consistent 3 o clock so I'm letting it go for now. There will be no gas port resizing as it's under warranty I would just send it back again.

mtdawg169
10-21-13, 07:36
Dents in the brass are completely normal.

rapomstage3
10-21-13, 07:47
Again I appreciate the advice.

Clint
10-21-13, 08:36
Post up a picture of the brass.

If you're getting one light dent halfway on the case body and 3 O'clock ejection, I'd say you have a perfectly funtioning carbine.

Shoot and be happy!

They are reloadable for sure. I was trying to stay away from pics for the companies sake. The dents seem less aggressive with the new extractor springs. The dents are about half way down the case. It seems like it's letting go of the case at the very end. But it is a consistent 3 o clock so I'm letting it go for now. There will be no gas port resizing as it's under warranty I would just send it back again.

texasgunhand
10-21-13, 16:11
So if its overgassed it throws them forward and undergassed it throws them backwards? Say at 5:00 oclock?