PDA

View Full Version : Afghan SF commander defected

platoonDaddy
10-20-13, 18:40
ain't this some shit. Wonder what high-tech gear he stole!

Been stating for years, every piece of gear we give them should have an embedded GPS tracker!

(Reuters) - An Afghan army special forces commander has defected to an insurgent group allied with the Taliban in a Humvee truck packed with his team's guns and high-tech equipment, officials in the eastern Kunar province said on Sunday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/20/uk-afghanistan-army-idUKBRE99J06T20131020?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=451

MountainRaven
10-20-13, 18:47
Sounds like the set-up for an action movie.

Is this Afghan SF commander named, by any chance, Youhanna Matrix?

"I'll be back, ibn Bennett!"

Kain
10-20-13, 18:48
Am not surprised in the least this has happened. Only surprised it has not occurred sooner.

jpmuscle
10-20-13, 19:06
Am not surprised in the least this has happened. Only surprised it has not occurred sooner.

Or more often for that matter :rolleyes:

Kain
10-20-13, 19:28

Very true. Not like we don't have a precedent for our "friends" trying to ****ing kill us after we help them out. "With friends like this who needs enemies," comes to mind.

Wonder if this guy's dick droned?

Todd00000
10-20-13, 20:02
They are ALL getting while the getting is good, this one just popped smoke early.

ForTehNguyen
10-20-13, 20:18
we need to GTFO ASAP

Honu
10-20-13, 20:22
never teach anyone anything we do
never help them in any way (gear tactics etc.. basically in a military fashion )
never let them touch or use our gear
never go over to a country that deep down hates us
ALWAYS say NEVER when it comes to our military and its gear

Inkslinger
10-20-13, 20:34
Unfortunately our government doesn't see it that way. It seems our track record with foreign conflicts haven't clued them in. It's like beating your head against a wall 99 times and expecting 100 to be different.

never teach anyone anything we do
never help them in any way (gear tactics etc.. basically in a military fashion )
never let them touch or use our gear
never go over to a country that deep down hates us
ALWAYS say NEVER when it comes to our military and its gear

SPQR476
10-20-13, 20:37
I always got a kick out of "training" the indig. You knew they were all just as likely to declare jihad next week as not, so screw them. I'm hoping there are a bunch of them that still think 10 seconds up is perfectly acceptable for fire and movement and slapping the trigger is best for accuracy, though I don't know who would have taught them that. :-)

Todd00000
10-20-13, 20:58
I always got a kick out of "training" the indig. You knew they were all just as likely to declare jihad next week as not, so screw them. I'm hoping there are a bunch of them that still think 10 seconds up is perfectly acceptable for fire and movement and slapping the trigger is best for accuracy, though I don't know who would have taught them that. :-)

I'm up, he doesn't see me, he doesn't see me, he doesn't see me, he doesn't see me, he doesn't see me, I'm down. LMAO

NWPilgrim
10-20-13, 23:42
Is it true we plan to leave mountains of gear there next year when we officially pull out? Does a Humvee load matter when we plan to dump most of it on the Afghans next year?

I recall hearing the hiring locals in RSVN to unload trucks or do any work on bases was a great way to supply the VC as well.

SF train Mexican military elites to interdict drug traffic and when trained and equipped they turn around and take it all to become hired guns for drug lords and eventually become the Zeta cartel.

Libya anyone?

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 00:23

That.

And that.

And of course the mandatory bring a bunch of Afghan "refugees" to this country so we can have some local "insurgency."

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-21-13, 01:00
American wartime policies and decisions post WWII are laughable at best, if not depressing to see how often we repeat our mistakes. In my profession, knowing that you are doing the wrong thing but doing it anyways is called "deliberate indifference" and is punishable criminally and civilly. The enemy of our enemy is too soon our enemy. Why arm him and train him when he barely furthers our goal? Why not wage all out war and then disengage when the enemy has formally surrendered due to a constant and unending barrage of firepower"

jpmuscle
10-21-13, 03:03
Why not wage all out war and then disengage when the enemy has formally surrendered due to a constant and unending barrage of firepower"

We've become a nicer, kinder, and gentler superpower nowadays. It is important that we have routine heart to heart with our enemies so as to ensure we understand their feelings. We want them to like us.

We... suck.... :rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
10-21-13, 04:16
When I was training the Kandak soldiers back in 2010 about 25% or so were AWOL at any given time. During that time it is suspected some may have been with the insurgents.

The Kandak commander was a POS who had been relieved of his command at another location for stealing funds meant for the unit.

There seemed to be very little accountability overall of the personnel. We were fielding like new M4 carbines and 203's, M249's, M240's, Remington 700 w/ Leupold glass, ACOG's, radios, etc....

The damage that they did to vehicles that were like new was staggering. Not to mention stealing the batteries from their Polaris ATV's.

We are wasting American and allied personnel lives and money for nothing. They have nothing to offer and I predict that Karzai will flee to Dubai to live comfortably with all the millions he siphoned from us and the money that was made with drugs and the AISG security firm.

It is rumored he has several pieces of nice property in Dubai. Anyone wanna guess who paid for it?

austinN4
10-21-13, 06:15
We are wasting American and allied personnel lives and money for nothing.
For sure! Time to get 100% out.

Todd00000
10-21-13, 06:19
When I was training the Kandak soldiers back in 2010 about 25% or so were AWOL at any given time. During that time it is suspected some may have been with the insurgents.

The Kandak commander was a POS who had been relieved of his command at another location for stealing funds meant for the unit.

There seemed to be very little accountability overall of the personnel. We were fielding like new M4 carbines and 203's, M249's, M240's, Remington 700 w/ Leupold glass, ACOG's, radios, etc....

The damage that they did to vehicles that were like new was staggering. Not to mention stealing the batteries from their Polaris ATV's.

We are wasting American and allied personnel lives and money for nothing. They have nothing to offer and I predict that Karzai will flee to Dubai to live comfortably with all the millions he siphoned from us and the money that was made with drugs and the AISG security firm.

It is rumored he has several pieces of nice property in Dubai. Anyone wanna guess who paid for it?

Mirrors my experience in 2009 in RCSOUTH. The first Kandak I had were all from the Northern Alliance and they told me they were saving everything they could because when we leave they will pull back to the North and I quote, "build a wall and let the Pashtuns go to hell."

Armati
10-21-13, 19:32
Some hard truths about Afghanistan that every American (especially the Chickenhawks) need to understand:

We WASTED a lot of blood and treasure in Afghanistan.

Contracting officials have been told (at a very high level) to spend as much money as possible, make sure as many American contractors as possible get the money, and give as much equipment as we can to the Afghans.

As we "retrograde" from Afghanistan the Afghans are busy building their individual fiefdoms. We know, they know it, it is no secret. Everyone is feathering their nest for the day Uncle Sugar turns off the free money fountain.

For the most part, the Afghans have no idea how to maintain our equipment. In a very short time after we leave, the equipment that is not yet stolen will be laying around broken.

Mjolnir
10-21-13, 20:28
Some hard truths about Afghanistan that every American (especially the Chickenhawks) need to understand:

We WASTED a lot of blood and treasure in Afghanistan.

Contracting officials have been told (at a very high level) to spend as much money as possible, make sure as many American contractors as possible get the money, and give as much equipment as we can to the Afghans.

As we "retrograde" from Afghanistan the Afghans are busy building their individual fiefdoms. We know, they know it, it is no secret. Everyone is feathering their nest for the day Uncle Sugar turns off the free money fountain.

For the most part, the Afghans have no idea how to maintain our equipment. In a very short time after we leave, the equipment that is not yet stolen will be laying around broken.

The Chicken Hawks don't want to accept this...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

ABNAK
10-21-13, 21:26
Heard a blurb about this today on the Wilkow radio show. He had some expert on and said the guy defected to the HIG group, so therefore it wasn't "as bad" as going to the Taliban or such (the guy alluded to some kind of "talks" we may or may not be involved with regarding HIG). If I'm not mistaken HIG is responsible for as many American deaths if not more than the Taliban, correct? They are who we are primarily fighting in RC East, right?

If it turns out that this is some strategic genius so be it. We did it in Iraq with the Sunni Awakening involving guys we had been fighting against previously. Something tells me it won't be the same outcome though......

NWPilgrim
10-22-13, 04:38
would this joker, because he was Afghan SF have had any ability to compromise US or joint missions? You know like the Seal Team 6 ambush?

ABNAK
10-22-13, 08:47
would this joker, because he was Afghan SF have had any ability to compromise US or joint missions? You know like the Seal Team 6 ambush?

I thought the Afghan SF was HEAVILY vetted. I've read where they are considered the most loyal and effective troops of the ANA. Aren't they the ones carrying M4's and NVG's and such?

NWPilgrim
10-22-13, 11:04
I thought the Afghan SF was HEAVILY vetted. I've read where they are considered the most loyal and effective troops of the ANA. Aren't they the ones carrying M4's and NVG's and such?

Oops! Looks like they missed one...at least.

http://world.time.com/2013/10/21/afghan-commander-defects-to-taliban-insurgents-brings-guns/

Khan is the first special forces commander to switch sides and join the Hezb-e-Islami insurgency, but he’s part of a growing trend of defection within the Afghan forces.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/10/21/afghan-commander-defects-to-taliban-insurgents-brings-guns/#ixzz2iT2S9Pm1

TehLlama
10-22-13, 12:20

Bradley/Whatever it calls itself now/ Manning, and Edward Snowden were much more extensively vetted. Only difference is here I'm a LOT less surprised.

It's the way politics is run over there, and that's a position of adequate power he's already set up to be a local warlord with access to decent wealth through his now private army equipped up to day equipment. He just moved early, the rest of that is going to crater in much the same way, just as Armati was eluding to.