PDA

View Full Version : OK, I Finally Have A Facebook Page...Need Some Likes...

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 00:32
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Nunchaku/523048834442599?skip_nax_wizard=true

Anyone with a martial arts background might appreciate some of the content.

10-21-13, 03:57
The question is, how many do you have in your collection?

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 04:03
The question is, how many do you have in your collection?

50 or so I think.

10-21-13, 04:05
That's pretty cool. I never knew there were people that collected them.

Ryno12
10-21-13, 06:01
I'm trying get through life without joining Facebook, however, I'll support you anyway I can. This is about the best I can do for you:

:thumbup:

;)
Sent via Tapatalk

Pork Chop
10-21-13, 07:02
I'm trying get through life without joining Facebook, however, I'll support you anyway I can. This is about the best I can do for you:

:thumbup:

;)
Sent via Tapatalk

This.

If I die without the world having ever known the microscopic minutiae of my everyday life, I'll consider it a win.

That being said, I always dig your pics, Steyr, so ............ Here's my "Like". :)

sandman99and9
10-21-13, 08:08
Just hit the "Like" button for you :)

S.M.

Magic_Salad0892
10-21-13, 09:21
If I had an FB, I'd do it. Sorry, bro.

fixit69
10-21-13, 09:24
Would if I could. But I don't Facebook.

montanadave
10-21-13, 09:37
Me no Facebook but nice collection.

If you are open to one small piece of constructive criticism, I think having some dried blood and a few tufts of hair on one of them would enhance the composition of the photograph.

GeorgiaBoy
10-21-13, 09:45
This.

If I die without the world having ever known the microscopic minutiae of my everyday life, I'll consider it a win.

That being said, I always dig your pics, Steyr, so ............ Here's my "Like". :)

That's really Twitter, not Facebook.

People that constantly post things on Facebook are considered annoying. Twitter, on the other hand, is another story,

SpankMonkey
10-21-13, 10:24
I don't Facebook bro... Sorry.

Pork Chop
10-21-13, 10:47
That's really Twitter, not Facebook.

People that constantly post things on Facebook are considered annoying. Twitter, on the other hand, is another story,

I find all of it "annoying".

If I want "you" to know anything about me, "you" would already have my phone number. I'm either too old or antisocial to care about social media.

And I agree, if twitter went away today, the world would be a better place.

SteveL
10-21-13, 12:33
Very cool collection but I'm not on Facebook and it's refreshing to see I'm not the only one. At this point I refuse to join on principle.

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 13:54
Very cool collection but I'm not on Facebook and it's refreshing to see I'm not the only one. At this point I refuse to join on principle.

I held out for a LONG time.

My facebook page is basically a test run to see if I want a FB page for a future business venture. I'm not gonna put my name all over it, tell people where I went on vacation, etc.

Basically just using it to enhance one of my more obscure collections.

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 13:55
That's pretty cool. I never knew there were people that collected them.

Certain ones, and typically they are 25 years old or more. The ones made today are worth about $4 no matter what.

fixit69
10-21-13, 14:08
I held out for a LONG time.

My facebook page is basically a test run to see if I want a FB page for a future business venture. I'm not gonna put my name all over it, tell people where I went on vacation, etc.

Basically just using it to enhance one of my more obscure collections.

I got you on the business part. My sister is pretty much running it for me(the Internet orders) and says I need a page for the business. Will happen soon. As for me personally, will probably never happen.

Javelin
10-21-13, 15:04
You need some sexy women to model those before you get a like from me.

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 15:29
You need some sexy women to model those before you get a like from me.

She has absolutely no idea what she is doing, but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1YHHP_fqhQ

GeorgiaBoy
10-21-13, 21:41

Really?

SteyrAUG
10-21-13, 23:24
Really?

To be specific, when it comes to the weapon she has no idea what she's doing. She isn't even holding them correctly and has reduced it to little more than cheerleader baton twirling.

There are a lot of people who can make all kinds of pretty circles and patterns with nunchaku but if the time ever came to use it as a weapon the moment they came into contact with anything they'd do as much damage to themselves as anything else because they don't know basic, basic things like controlling rebounds.

When you learn the weapon, 90% of grips are holding the stick about an inch up from the bottom so you don't cut the length of your reach by 1/3 or more. People who don't know what they are doing hold them at the top near the cord or chain because you can spin them faster and it looks impressive.

Once basic strikes are learned you practice them against a heavy bag, or if you are a serious traditionalist against a partner holding a staff (bo) so you can practice striking against a hard target and controlling or redirecting the rebound.

The other dead give away that she has no idea how to use nunchaku as a weapon is they are constantly moving. Free swinging or flailing blocks, especially against other weapons, are mostly for the movies. If somebody swings a staff at your head and you think you are going to stop it with free swinging nunchaku you are probably going to get hit by both the staff and your own nunchaku. It's already hard enough to stop a serious strike with a small implement being held by two hands with a strong grip on both sticks.

And despite any speed, there is no power in her circles because she is generating nothing more than continuous momentum rather than a supported strike. She could probably hit you with her hand harder than she can hit you with her weapon due to her lack of even basic knowledge. Someone with even minimum fighting skills could probably strip the weapon right out of her hands without undue risk of injury.

Basically she's all show and no substance.

GeorgiaBoy
10-22-13, 16:09
Thanks for the in-depth response. I kind of figured that you would say something along those lines, that she is more of a dancer/choreographer than an actual fighter.

SteyrAUG
10-22-13, 16:37
Thanks for the in-depth response. I kind of figured that you would say something along those lines, that she is more of a dancer/choreographer than an actual fighter.

Sadly this is what many weapon arts, and even some fighting arts, have been reduced to.

The Japanese art of archery (Kyudo) has such a heavy focus on the Zen aspects associated with it that recognized "masters" regularly miss their targets by 2 or 3 meters in a perfect expression of Zen. Clearly an example where the "art" has been given much higher priority than the "martial" considerations.

Modern sport kendo, the "way of the sword" is practiced exclusively with shinai (bamboo mock swords) and most movements could never be done with a live steel blade successfully. Even more absurd are matches that continue beyond the first "scored hit" where a person would actually die if the contest was with live blades. It's always funny to me to see somebody take a "fatal hit" and quickly reply with 3-4 rapid "strike backs" and win the match.

When China purged their martial traditions during the cultural revolution most martial artists fled the country or were put to death. The traditional values ran contrary to communist doctrine with ideas like revered masters (everyone needs to be equal) and strong individuals who could fend for themselves (everyone needs to be part of the collective).

During the late 60s, early 70s, they realized their mistake and that like the "great wall" Chinese boxing was one of the things the world respected and provided prestige to China. Since most who fled wouldn't have anything to do with China, martial arts "masters" from the United States were invited to China to help reestablish their lost "arts" with mixed success and authenticity.

To fill in the massive knowledge gaps, China incorporated gymnastic elements and created something of a performance art which they called WuShu. Weapons used are more props than anything else and so lightweight and weakly constructed they would be destroyed if you ever used them as a weapon.

Ironically the few people, other than "koryu" (old style) traditionalists, with actual weapons skills are members of the Yakuza in Japan where guns are often avoided due to the negative attention they draw and legal consequences, skills with knives and swords are highly valued by members.

Powerful Yakuza clans will often sponsor schools for recognized experts (in Japan owning a large school is a costly venture) with the understanding their members will be trained as well. There are also codes within the organized crime system that say a boss (Oyabun) can only be killed with a sword.

A similar situation exists in Hong Kong, Taiwan and parts of China where the Triads have similar difficulty obtaining guns and tend to avoid them for the problems they create. However they usually are serious martial artists and fights with Butterfly swords, cleavers, short axes and knives are pretty common. Every now and then somebody will even bring a Pu Dao along to make things interesting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Chinese-Pudao-01.jpg

But sadly, among those who call themselves martial artists, I'd estimate 75% of them have no actual weapon skills.

Granted if you get attacked in a parking lot, you are unlikely to have a pair of sai, tonfa or a katana to pull out of your pocket and finally put all those years of training to good use. But to me, if you are going to learn a weapon, use a real weapon not a mock up and learn how to really use it or don't bother at all.

The only performance art I can respect is Chinese Opera.

brickboy240
10-22-13, 16:52
Nice collection.

I thought I was the only one that did not "do" FB....glad I am not alone.

-brickboy240

SteyrAUG
05-06-14, 19:29
OK, I know most here don't do Facebook, and really my page isn't even about me, but I've developed it significantly with a lot of content some here might find interesting. And also here to beg for some more "Likes" from members who do have a FB page.

Those who don't have FB, it's a public page so you can view everything. Please feel free to comment.

Irish
05-06-14, 20:10
Borrowed the wife's FB page. There's some really cool content on your page. Really digging the old school martial arts masters photos and descriptions.

Plumber237
05-06-14, 21:00
Just liked your page Steyr...

Safetyhit
05-06-14, 21:03

No idea? Read your response to Georgia Boy but she works those things far better than 99.99% of the population could. Had several of the same variants at the same time as you, including the free butterfly knives that came with an order over $150 (brass handles excluded) and despite having beat up a few pillows or drunken high school friends with them I never came close to that ability with one let alone two.

Jeez.

SteyrAUG
05-06-14, 22:19
No idea? Read your response to Georgia Boy but she works those things far better than 99.99% of the population could. Had several of the same variants at the same time as you, including the free butterfly knives that came with an order over $150 (brass handles excluded) and despite having beat up a few pillows or drunken high school friends with them I never came close to that ability with one let alone two.

Jeez.

Again, as "performance art" what she is doing is fine.

As for "weapon skill", she has none. She isn't even holding them correctly. And you become very vulnerable if the first thing you do is the "Benihana show."

But the vast majority of the people who are interested in such things are doing so for self amusement and aren't concerned with practical applications as a weapon.

SteyrAUG
05-06-14, 22:27
Borrowed the wife's FB page. There's some really cool content on your page. Really digging the old school martial arts masters photos and descriptions.

Yeah, I'm trying hard to have a page with some actual substance and correct information. If you think there is a lot of misinformation regarding firearms, you wouldn't believe the nonsense that is out there regarding martial arts that is simply accepted as "fact." This was made worse by the fact that the first people to write books in English or open schools in the US didn't necessarily have the most accurate understanding of the subject.

Just liked your page Steyr...

Thanks.

SteyrAUG
05-20-14, 22:16
Might as well try and get this one over 100 likes.

You can see awesome stuff like me way back in the 70s.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/q88/s720x720/1907998_646023908811757_3427859335204128001_n.jpg