PDA

View Full Version : 9mm or 9mm+P in a conversion barrel?

Caduceus
10-21-13, 10:34
I've been thinking of switching things up recently. I have a Sig 229 in .40, and recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel. While I've read plenty about not trusting a conversion barrel for self defense ... I have to wonder why. I've shot several brands of ammo so far; some certainly work better than others. However, I've also had one 2 brands that have been 100% reliable (granted, small sample size, and no, I don't plan on switching until I shoot a lot more to verify)

There was a thread recently about how +P didn't do much in terms of terminal ballistics, and accelerated wear, but it seems that a gun designed to handle the .40 recoil would be OK to handle the recoil of a +P round ... right? Would it make sense to buy a +P round, on the premise that the extra power would help against the inertia of a slide designed for a larger round?

Petrov
10-21-13, 11:09
I've been thinking of switching things up recently. I have a Sig 229 in .40, and recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel. While I've read plenty about not trusting a conversion barrel for self defense ... I have to wonder why. I've shot several brands of ammo so far; some certainly work better than others. However, I've also had one 2 brands that have been 100% reliable (granted, small sample size, and no, I don't plan on switching until I shoot a lot more to verify)

There was a thread recently about how +P didn't do much in terms of terminal ballistics, and accelerated wear, but it seems that a gun designed to handle the .40 recoil would be OK to handle the recoil of a +P round ... right? Would it make sense to buy a +P round, on the premise that the extra power would help against the inertia of a slide designed for a larger round?

.40 generates quite a bit more pressure, nothing to worry about.