PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma

TylerD
10-21-13, 21:09
Remington 700 AAC. Nothing special, but it gets the job done. I shot next to a guy shooting a Larue OBR and since then I've wanted one.... What's not to like?! However I can't seem to find one for less than 4k really and if I do there is a long wait. This leads me to the LMT MWS. Seems to be a fairly well built rifle and from what I can to all very capable.

The question is, which do I go for? For the people who have been behind both, is there one that is far superior to the other? Is there a situation where a bolt gun would be better to have than a semi? I just want to answer these questions before I ditch the bolt gun to get one of these two. Thanks in advance

Xsail
10-22-13, 00:43
Hard choice! Might want to look at this thread before deciding a bolt might be more reliable....O.L.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=140955

TylerD
10-22-13, 00:58
Hard choice! Might want to look at this thread before deciding a bolt might be more reliable....O.L.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=140955

Read the thread by don't see how it applies? Is this an isolated incident that is ammo related or is this a problem that you have with a lot of the OBR's? The gentleman I shot beside leads a swat team and also shoots professionally. He swears by the OBR, but was quick to point out that that the Remington 700 that I have is by all means a nice rifle. If I keep the bolt gun it will end up in another stock with a detatchabl magazine upgrade and a badger ordinance bolt knob.....

So I'm really more or less deciding whether to drop that coin there...... Or move to a different platform. I currently own a DD MK18 and a DD M4V5. I was thinking a similar platform may benefit me.

So there the question is again. Keep the bolt gun? Get the LMT? Get the Larue? Just looking for justification before blindly making a decision.

RHINOWSO
10-22-13, 07:35
More OBR Love... Larue is having issue with their in house barrel production...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97122

I'd look to LMT for a precision AR before Larue.

evoutfitters
10-22-13, 09:03
IMHO for precision stuff, bolt guns are easier to shoot than gas guns. They also tend to be lighter, especially in standard stocks.

With the right chassis (like one from XLR Industries) you can make a bolt gun feel almost like an AR. If you want to play Legos with your bolt gun, you can also get a barrel nut adapter for your M700 and swap barrels and calibers on your work bench with a barrel vise and just a couple of headspace gauges.

Bolt guns will also be easier on brass if you handload, and you can work up loads that have a longer COAL than the 2.800" that will typically fit into a gas gun magazine. This opens up the types of bullets and powders you can play with.

Bolt guns also tend to play better with suppressors, as there are no reciprocating parts that can suffer timing issues.

The reasons to use a gas-operated precision rifle include fast follow-up shots, magazine capacity, the ability to "blend in" with others in a unit using gas guns, and flexibility in a pinch to stack with guys doing CQB; I guess you have to decide if those points outweigh the benefits of using a bolt gun in your circumstances.

tom12.7
10-23-13, 06:17
A bolt gun is basic and easier to shoot well definitely!
If you're set on a 7.62 semi, I'd suggest LMT over Larue. If Larue ever gets their act together and address their issues properly, then they could be considered.

crusader377
10-23-13, 08:28
Remington 700 AAC. Nothing special, but it gets the job done. I shot next to a guy shooting a Larue OBR and since then I've wanted one.... What's not to like?! However I can't seem to find one for less than 4k really and if I do there is a long wait. This leads me to the LMT MWS. Seems to be a fairly well built rifle and from what I can to all very capable.

The question is, which do I go for? For the people who have been behind both, is there one that is far superior to the other? Is there a situation where a bolt gun would be better to have than a semi? I just want to answer these questions before I ditch the bolt gun to get one of these two. Thanks in advance

If you don't mind me asking what are you looking to accomplish with this purchase and what sort of accuracy are you looking for. I would definitely go with a bolt gun if you want maximum accuracy on a budget. If you want a semi, I would probably go with the LMT MWS but I would also look at a Colt 901 or S&W M&P 10 if you want to go a more affordable route.

Another option is a SPR AR especially if you are shooting 600M and closer. I think this would be a fine option at roughly 2/3 of the price of the LMT and well under 1/2 of the price of the Larue.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=862-680

TylerD
10-23-13, 16:53
Honestly I like the bolt guns but I tend to feel more comfortable with an AR. They fit me well, feel more comfortable and I feel offer a little more flexibility. For the moment I don't have anywhere to shoot more than 600 meters or so...... I just think it would suit me better as of the moment. I would really like an AI in 338 Lapua mag for looooooooong range precision down the road.

Right now for me its more of a train one way, fight one way type deal and the AR is the only thing I know.

kevN
10-23-13, 21:21
Honestly I like the bolt guns but I tend to feel more comfortable with an AR. They fit me well, feel more comfortable and I feel offer a little more flexibility. For the moment I don't have anywhere to shoot more than 600 meters or so...... I just think it would suit me better as of the moment. I would really like an AI in 338 Lapua mag for looooooooong range precision down the road.

Right now for me its more of a train one way, fight one way type deal and the AR is the only thing I know.

Given your distance restraints I think a 5.56 SPR gun (16 or 18in SS match barrel) would be ideal.

If you want a .308 AR I think the LMT is a great option. My 308 precision gas gun is a Noveske N6 which is a great gun but not being sold any more.

The OBR is difficult to get, and lately there have been many who are reporting issues with some of the latest guns and the barrel change ups.

The advantage of a bolt gun, as others have said, is that it is easier shoot due to the single recoil and shot break being so clean. In a gas gun you have to have really solid follow through to ensure consistency.

Shooting a precision 556 gun is also easier than a 308 gun.

Also, there are bolt gun stocks that are completely adjustable to the shooter (like the KRG Whiskey 3 and many others) that are a little more ergonomic than an AR can be.

Pappabear
10-24-13, 02:00
The MWS is an awesome gun. It's crazy accurate for a 16 CL barrel. I loved mine. I put a PRS stock and SSA TRIGGER.

It still has no advantage over a Remmy 700 in the precision realm. The bolt is cheaper and will on average shoot better with more ammo. That MWS is the ultimate battle rifle.

I agree with the guy that suggested an SPR. KEEP YOUR BOLT AND build a precision AR15 rig. Or just get a very nice scope and pop it on your DD.

tom12.7
10-24-13, 06:19
I agree, for 600 meters and in, keep your bolt gun and build up a 5.56 AR. Using those 2 together at that distance can be a real skill builder.

TylerD
10-27-13, 00:44
I like the idea of making the M4V5 an SPR. I currently run a vortex PST 1-4 optic on it. It is pretty well balanced so I don't really know what else to do with it besides try different bullets in it and see how it goes. I may try to possibly run this configuration and see how far I can push it and then decide.

Impact
10-27-13, 13:40
I have both a 20" OBR and GAP bolt .308. Both are very accurate. Slight edge to the bolt but not by much. For a semi auto 308 with 20rds mag, it's hard to beat the Larue in the precision department.

I posted my personal experience in the thread posted above. No issues on mine.

I also heard good things about the LMT MWS with chrome lined barrel. If you go LMT route, I would get the slick version.

tom12.7
10-27-13, 13:57
I'm glad you don't have issues with your Larue, unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me.
For a 762 AR, I'd recommend a LMT for an economy model, or one of the KAC 7.62s if more money is available.

Impact
10-27-13, 14:03
I'm glad you don't have issues with your Larue, unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me.
For a 762 AR, I'd recommend a LMT for an economy model, or one of the KAC 7.62s if more money is available.

what did larue say when you sent it for repairs ? They usually have good CS.

tom12.7
10-27-13, 14:08
I'm not going to bash them in a open forum.
Basically, I had issues and contacted them. They worked with me for some time, my issues got better, never fully resolved, we parted ways and I sold both.

TylerD
10-28-13, 23:22
Found a LMT for a fair price so I picked it up. I'm going to shoot them side by side and see which has a better feel. I think that both have their pros and cons. I will shake them out on the range and see how this pans out. I appreciate all the input.

TylerD
10-29-13, 20:22
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/tylerd2/IMG_20131023_204620925_zps9c6451af.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/tylerd2/media/IMG_20131023_204620925_zps9c6451af.jpg.html)

Now I have to figure out what to use scope wise. Thinking a Vortex PST 4-16 in a Larue LT104 mount.

BigBoss01
11-05-13, 22:45
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/tylerd2/IMG_20131023_204620925_zps9c6451af.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/tylerd2/media/IMG_20131023_204620925_zps9c6451af.jpg.html)

Now I have to figure out what to use scope wise. Thinking a Vortex PST 4-16 in a Larue LT104 mount.

Nice. Skip over the larue mount and get a Bobro.

CFII
11-06-13, 08:34
My 18" OBR is flawless and accurate.

Get what makes you happy.

mdmorrow
11-06-13, 09:38
You should also look at a GAP-10 and a JP LRP-07. I've got an LRP on order currently.

I love my Larue but the wait is out of control right now and it's hard to say how things are going to go with their new barrels. My 5.56 Larue has the lowthar walther barrel and it's amazing.

TylerD
11-08-13, 03:26
Nice. Skip over the larue mount and get a Bobro.

Why go with the Bobro over the Larue? I have a Larue LT104 on my DDM4V5 and it seems pretty solid so far. Also thinking of either Surefire RTS Offset sights or the KAC offset irons.

TylerD
11-08-13, 15:27
Finally got to shoot the LMT today and I'm very impressed with it. No adjustment to the irons at all and was able to hit a 12x12 steel plate at 215 yards repeatedly. Seeing as to how I will have to run irons until I can afford some nice glass I'm really happy about that. I'm not the best rifle shooter by any means but 147grain cheap ball ammo and 15 mph wind on irons and hitting a 200 yard plate out of the box is awesome for me.

jcgodfrey
05-31-14, 03:09
Consider a POF for a semi auto. I've seen a couple of gen 3 models sell for under $1600 recently brand spanking new. For that price I don't think you could best it for an accurate semi auto rig. Those prices were on no reserve gunbroker auctions fyi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TylerD
05-31-14, 08:19
Consider a POF for a semi auto. I've seen a couple of gen 3 models sell for under $1600 recently brand spanking new. For that price I don't think you could best it for an accurate semi auto rig. Those prices were on no reserve gunbroker auctions fyi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Already have the LMT. Thanks for the heads up though.

jstone
05-31-14, 16:45
You got the best system available. Now you can go from cl to match grade stainless in a matter of minutes. You could also get a 260 barrel if you get a chance to shoot further.

gt40
06-01-14, 09:07
I used to shoot in High Power and also bench rest at 100 & 200 yds. until I shot at 1,000 yds. and never shot point blank again (100 & 200). My bolt gun is a custom with a Savage Target duel port with their target accu-trigger. It is a 6 mm Norma BR. that shoots less than 1/2" groups at 200 yds. and my smallest 5 shot group was 3+1/4" at 1,000. I don't shoot long range anymore because of a car accident and my age which is 69. Anywho last fall I bought a Colt LE 6920 M4 and put a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it, but it just wasn't up to my accuracy standards so I ordered a WOA varmint 18" upper which I had WOA full length flute the barrel to try and save some weight. It has a 1 in 7" twist in .223/5.56 barrel. I just received it on 5-15-14 and only shot two groups with it. I messed up my ladder test so I still don't know what my accuracy hand load will be. I first sighted it in and shot 5 times with my hunting Sierra 65 gr. hunting bullets to foul the barrel before I shot the ladder test with Sierra 69 gr. Match Kings. The 69 gr. GKs shot a smaller group then the 65 gr. in the picture. The scope is a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom. ( very good scope ).

Here are some pics including the target at 100 yds. OH, it weighs 11 pounds exactly as you see it with a loaded 20 round magazine. It is perfectly balanced just ahead of the magazine. I bet it will be a very accurate AR even out past 600 yds.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17555&cat=261&page=1

SuaSponte175
10-20-14, 00:40
You should also look at a GAP-10 and a JP LRP-07. I've got an LRP on order currently.

I love my Larue but the wait is out of control right now and it's hard to say how things are going to go with their new barrels. My 5.56 Larue has the lowthar walther barrel and it's amazing.

+1 for the GA Precision GAP-10.