PDA

View Full Version : So am considering replacing my SCAR 17S

MH64
10-21-13, 21:53
Like the title says. Am considering replacing my SCAR 17S and going with an AR style 308 instead.
Currently considering the following.

Colt LE-901S
Sig 716
SW M&P 10

Primarily thinking of doing this to keep a system that would be much closer in operation to my other AR15 rifles and to move to the more standard SR25 style 308 magazines, such as the Magpul 308 magazines.

Really like my SCAR but I can't keep everything that I like. So it would get sold/traded.

Thoughts/opinions on this idea?

w3453l
10-21-13, 22:45
I'm actually looking at buying either a PWS MK216 or a SCAR 17 right now. I have no experience with either of them. I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on the SCAR though.

The mag thing is the one thing that keeps me back, but SCAR mags are becoming more common right now. If there was a SR25 mag compatible lower that was perfected than that would solve all concerns.

I just don't know if I can trust the new lowers.

kevN
10-21-13, 23:58
I'd go with KAC, or LMT.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-22-13, 02:20
What is your budget?

Oh, and "Am..." does not ever replace "I am..."

RHINOWSO
10-22-13, 07:44
I wouldn't trade my 17 for any of the rifles you have listed.

Now maybe a LMT MWS, KAC SR-25, or a GAP-10...

scooter22
10-22-13, 07:59
I'd go with KAC, or LMT.

This. I couldn't imagine getting rid if a SCAR and going with one of the options you listed.

ryr8828
10-22-13, 08:00
Magpul 308 mags were as non existent as scar mags for quite some time.
I've found nothing about my scar17 that makes me want to sell it and get another .308.

MH64
10-22-13, 12:36
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Oh and Low speed High drag, thanks for the grammer check...

PatrioticDisorder
10-22-13, 13:06
I wouldn't trade my 17 for any of the rifles you have listed.

Now maybe a LMT MWS, KAC SR-25, or a GAP-10...

This, only I don't know anything about the GAP-10. Weight, accuracy and reliability make it a difficult package to beat.

snaggletooth
10-22-13, 16:50
As far as mags are concerned, you can run a handl defense lower and use the sr25 pattern mags

sua175
10-22-13, 18:02
Op, as someone who has shot all the rifles you have considered replacing your mk17 with you will be sorry. The scar is significantly better than all those other rifles in my opinion.

Look at the features of the scar and how it's made compared to those other rifles you list.

scooter22
10-22-13, 18:19
As far as mags are concerned, you can run a handl defense lower and use the sr25 pattern mags

I would not recommend this. Unless there have been recent developments, there are still issues with this lower.

Ark1443
10-22-13, 19:24
Really like my SCAR but...

:agree: You know the saying, everyone seems to regret it when they sell off a good gun. I would keep it.

Ferris2son
10-22-13, 21:48
I have a NIB M&P 10 with Magpul furniture and Troy BUIS from the factory.

I'll trade you for your SCAR and throw in 10 P-Mags.

Deal?

Crow Hunter
10-23-13, 08:01
My brother owned a SCAR 17 and a Larue PredatAR.

I have/manipulated both. I baby sat them for about 6 months while he was going through a divorce so I played with them a lot.

I much preferred the Larue over the SCAR. I could have gotten a "brother deal" on either of them.

I bought the Larue from him.:D

The Larue had a much better trigger, more familiar ergos, was signficantly more accurate, quieter suppressed and similar weight with better balance.

I don't think it is a a better battle rifle than the SCAR but I preferred shooting it and that is what mattered to me.;)

ForTehNguyen
10-23-13, 08:59
i rented a Sig 716 a while back, shot very nice. Definately go with something in the SR-25 pattern for mag availability

Failure2Stop
10-23-13, 09:41
I'm a fan of 7.62 carbines.
In my opinion, there isn't much in the price-range of the 17 that is better than the 17 for what it does.
Of course, if you are looking for a precision 7.62, there are options in the AR family that tend to do better.
It's really a matter of application and budget.
I like the direction that S&W is going with the M&P10, however, I won't be considering one until they release a 16" version with a "better" (IMO) gas block arrangement.

tom12.7
10-23-13, 11:59
I'm hoping the M110K2, or whatever the lightweight version of the EMC/ECC commercially would be called, comes available soon. To me that would be the best contender for an upgrade to the 7.62 SCAR.

Failure2Stop
10-23-13, 12:33
I'm hoping the M110K2, or whatever the lightweight version of the EMC/ECC commercially would be called, comes available soon. To me that would be the best contender for an upgrade to the 7.62 SCAR.

There will be a lightweight option in the new product line, which will be unveiled shortly, and I agree that it is one hell of a gun.

My point was oriented toward options that are in the SCAR price-range.
While it is a cumbersome and inaccurate comparison, I don't want to tell a guy that is buying a Glock, for what a Glock costs, for an application that is fully met by a Glock, that he needs to buy a high-end custom 1911, even if I happen to use, prefer, and work for that 1911 maker.
;)

tom12.7
10-23-13, 12:46
I'm really hoping to see those come available soon. What are the commercial models going to be called?

PatrioticDisorder
10-23-13, 12:49
There will be a lightweight option in the new product line, which will be unveiled shortly, and I agree that it is one hell of a gun.

My point was oriented toward options that are in the SCAR price-range.
While it is a cumbersome and inaccurate comparison, I don't want to tell a guy that is buying a Glock, for what a Glock costs, for an application that is fully met by a Glock, that he needs to buy a high-end custom 1911, even if I happen to use, prefer, and work for that 1911 maker.
;)

Any specs & ballpark pricing on the new lightweight SR-25?

JPB
10-23-13, 12:52

This. I can't wait to see this gun.

TxPiKapp
10-23-13, 23:53
I had a Colt LE901 on order before I shot the SCAR and immediately cancelled and bought my SCAR... no regrets at all.. mags are easy to find and im sure the price will come down even further.. i bought mine for $35 shipped

tom12.7
10-24-13, 06:24
I don't think the 7.62 SCAR is bad at all, I just think FN fell short on a few things.
For now, I'm holding out for news on the new KAC lightweight SR-25 carbine.

Fox33
10-24-13, 08:02
Although I know the SCAR H is an 80% soultion, which I blame the SOR more than FN. I still think its is the best option consdiering the price I can get one for.

My second choice would have to be the LMT. Then the SIG would be a second close choice, but I am a big LMT fan.

If cost was of no consequence, it would be the HK 417. Having shot one it is a good deal heavier feeling than the SCAR H but damn it is a a nice gun.

But I cant stand that fact many of the 7.62 guns which all shoot a STANAG round (7.62x51) do not have a standard (SR-25) magazine.

I would love to run over to columbia SC and go kick thier mk.17 crew in the balls for being greedy ****s and putting that fragile trash of a mag under the SCAR-H. Typical european company kind of shit.

Somnus
10-25-13, 06:28
Although I know the SCAR H is an 80% soultion, which I blame the SOR more than FN. I still think its is the best option consdiering the price I can get one for.

My second choice would have to be the LMT. Then the SIG would be a second close choice, but I am a big LMT fan.

If cost was of no consequence, it would be the HK 417. Having shot one it is a good deal heavier feeling than the SCAR H but damn it is a a nice gun.

But I cant stand that fact many of the 7.62 guns which all shoot a STANAG round (7.62x51) do not have a standard (SR-25) magazine.

I would love to run over to columbia SC and go kick thier mk.17 crew in the balls for being greedy ****s and putting that fragile trash of a mag under the SCAR-H. Typical european company kind of shit.

You think the FN mag is fragile trash? I have dropped mine free, stepped on them, kicked them and run hundreds of rounds through them with no problems.

Somnus
10-25-13, 06:34
Like the title says. Am considering replacing my SCAR 17S and going with an AR style 308 instead.
Currently considering the following.

Colt LE-901S
Sig 716
SW M&P 10

Primarily thinking of doing this to keep a system that would be much closer in operation to my other AR15 rifles and to move to the more standard SR25 style 308 magazines, such as the Magpul 308 magazines.

Really like my SCAR but I can't keep everything that I like. So it would get sold/traded.

Thoughts/opinions on this idea?

Personally wouldn't trade my Scar 17 for any of the options you have listed. Would add HK 762 at some point but it is HEAVY compared to the scar. Also, ergonomics of Predatar pretty nice.

vicious_cb
10-25-13, 07:36
How many makers of "rack grade" .308 carbines are there? Making everything "match grade" makes the price skyrocket to $2500+. Perhaps if they made cheaper rack grade .308 carbines more available the market would be more responsive.

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-13, 07:57
You think the FN mag is fragile trash? I have dropped mine free, stepped on them, kicked them and run hundreds of rounds through them with no problems.

I agree the mags are not trash, but an anti-tilt follower could have been included and the base plates could be tweaked. The body of the mag is built like a tank and I have no doubt the feed lips will hold up well.

Fox33
10-25-13, 10:54

I have seen them dropped on concrete from 4-5ft in height and the base plate shoot off like a rocket.

the more they are dropped the more this happens

sr-25 and pmags do not do this ever

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-13, 14:36
I have seen them dropped on concrete from 4-5ft in height and the base plate shoot off like a rocket.

the more they are dropped the more this happens

sr-25 and pmags do not do this ever

Apparently there are 2 solutions for that, both kinda ghetto. 1 is to tape the baseplates on, the other requires some bending of the metal on the baseplate. I doubt Magpul would ever come out with scar mags, but SCAR ranger plates and anti Tilt followers would be cool though (I can always hope).

RHINOWSO
10-25-13, 15:33
Apparently there are 2 solutions for that, both kinda ghetto. 1 is to tape the baseplates on, the other requires some bending of the metal on the baseplate. I doubt Magpul would ever come out with scar mags, but SCAR ranger plates and anti Tilt followers would be cool though (I can always hope).
308 original Magpuls work as well. Not my photo but I've done it to 10 of my mags, gives the baseplate protection and more grippy portion of the magazine to grab onto.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/BiteyMcClaws/IMAG1958-1.jpg

Somnus
10-25-13, 15:41
Put a Magpul on the bottom of the Scar mag.

Somnus
10-25-13, 15:42
308 original Magpuls work as well. Not my photo but I've done it to 10 of my mags, gives the baseplate protection and more grippy portion of the magazine to grab onto.

Dang it Rhino you beat me!

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-13, 15:45

WOW thank you, this is a EUREKA moment for me! I now have another item to spend yet more money on. :)

Failure2Stop
10-25-13, 16:11

I do this with SR25 and PMag LRs as well.

mdoan300
10-25-13, 22:35

My buddy gets credit for this idea, but another alternative is to buy a bicycle inner tube, cut 1-2" loops, and slipping them over the bottom of the mag. It's a tight fit, but works on the cheap. I'll snap a pic tomorrow of my mags...