PDA

View Full Version : Grip Pod good? Grip Pod bad?

obed_ned
10-23-13, 00:45
vs. Harris bipod or Mako T-Pod...

Harris and T-Pod legs are height adjustable- Grip Pod no.

Harris and T-Pod bulky- Grip Pod not so much.

Which one for a 14.5" M4?

SteveL
10-23-13, 01:50
Why the need for a bipod in the first place? I would think that with a 14.5" gun propping up on the magazine would be sufficient.

monadh
10-23-13, 02:30
First off, my high speed low drag days are way behind me, 20 years to be specific. So I am using them as any range rat would, not as a 11B.

I have found my Grip Pods to be very useful. They are well made, solid, and provide a very stable support for my rifles when I want to shoot at longer distances. I came across someone selling them for a very reasonable price and bought 2.

Those with more current military experience can provide a real world analysis.

CRAMBONE
10-23-13, 03:45
I think if you want a bipod get a bipod. If you want a grip of some kind get a grip of some kind. Grip-pods do neither particularly well in other than straight range scenarios. I tried them because they were issued and the only use I have seen is deploying them in a chow hall so you do not have to hold you rifle and you don't have to lay it on the deck.

And Mako is not known for having quality plastic stuff. I personally would go with the Harris.

Scrubber3
10-23-13, 07:03
The mako t-pod is a tank. I'm 220 lbs and can stand on my rifle with it extended. This strength also makes it a little heavy and I'd say may be cumbersome on a 14. Then again, it may be just what you're looking for. Just be careful buying one because there are a crap ton of Chinese knockoffs that'll break if you look at them wrong.

Edit: I did stop using it when I sold both of the SCARs. It was on and off of the 17 for a bit depending on what range I was using. Since then it's been I a drawer waiting for someone to buy it or for something else I find it useful for.

A real grip pod is an excellent product too with the ability to withstand some abuse. Not quite the amount that a t-pod can handle, but it also doesn't weigh as much as the t-pod. Once again, the amount of cheap knockoffs are astounding and they will break of you even think about using them.

Both are solid products. Both will also cost over $100 each. They are worth the price, but they do add a good chunk of weight to a rifle. If that's of no concern or you are plenty in shape, I'd say grab one and have fun.

Wake27
10-23-13, 07:17
I don't know anybody who actually shoots a lot that likes them. If all you do is shoot from a bench then get a bipod. The only use they serve well is in the military when your standing around for hours and don't want to put it in the dirt.

Koshinn
10-23-13, 08:04
If your bench is slightly unlevel, you'll wish you had a harris.

Failure2Stop
10-23-13, 08:39
I think if you want a bipod get a bipod. If you want a grip of some kind get a grip of some kind. Grip-pods do neither particularly well in other than straight range scenarios. I tried them because they were issued and the only use I have seen is deploying them in a chow hall so you do not have to hold you rifle and you don't have to lay it on the deck.

And Mako is not known for having quality plastic stuff. I personally would go with the Harris.

If your bench is slightly unlevel, you'll wish you had a harris.

These.

Chameleox
10-23-13, 08:43
What are you using the gun for?
Mission will dictate what you put on it, not what length it is (though length may suggest or limit your use).

If you're using it in a role where accuracy/precision is the driving factor, I'd go with a dedicated bipod, preferably one that you can QD if desired.

JSantoro
10-23-13, 08:56
Not adjustable = totally crap bipod. Too big, bulky and heavy to be a good VFG. They ARE well-made and durable...in a universe where a crystal champagne flute qualifies as a well-made and durable hockey puck. I.e., it sucks as both a VFG and as a bipod (unless you're counting on fighting only on flat, manicured terrain or off of the folding table and chair you carry with you everywhere you carry your gun).

It's only excellence is in it's role as a chow-hall kickstand.

Forget barrel length -- Is it a precision-specific gun, or not? If not, putting a bipod on it is a "teats on a boar" move, unless it's strictly under the umberella of "....I feel like putting one on because it looks COOL...."

If that's the case, absolutely rock on, but own that. Don't try to rationalize it as a sensible decision, because it's not.

EDIT: Dammit, didn't see that Jason already used the DFAC joke regarding those POSs.....:(

MrCleanOK
10-23-13, 09:38
They're also great for freeing up leg room under your desk. If 75% of grip pods are deployed in the DFAC, the other 25% of them are used next to or under some staff officer or NCO's desk.

ColtSeavers
10-23-13, 09:49
Forget barrel length -- Is it a precision-specific gun, or not? If not, putting a bipod on it is a "teats on a boar" move, unless it's strictly under the umberella of "....I feel like putting one on because it looks COOL...."

If that's the case, absolutely rock on, but own that. Don't try to rationalize it as a sensible decision, because it's not.

While I won't go so far as to say getting a bipod/grip pod would be like "Teats on a boar," I do completely agree with the sentiment bolded.

If you want one and it makes things more comfortable for you shooting at the range on a bench, go for it. You can always take it off later for more dynamic action if you want. It's not creating any safety issues with the function of the rifle and accessories are personal decisions (outside of duty issue).

Dist. Expert 26
10-23-13, 11:54
I had a grip-pod on my issued rifle for quite a while (command wouldn't let us run anything else :rolleyes:). They're almost completely useless for shooting since they're not adjustable, but they do make it handy to put your rifle down for a minute without getting it dirty.

Like the others have said, if you want a bipod, get a bipod. If you want a VFG, get a VFG. Trying to compromise between the two doesn't work out well.

mastiffhound
10-23-13, 14:38
I have a Harris but only used it for sighting in my 20" and 16". A bipod on an AR just looks wrong unless it's a 24" barreled varmint rig or if it's on the old Vietnam era M16. The folding spring loaded bipod that went in between the pins on the front sight looks right to me, maybe it's because I've seen it so many times. My bipod spends the rest of it's time on my Savage. Grip pod style bipods just seem useless to me. If one were to go that way it would NEED to be adjustable. Grip pods are just not for me. If I'm going to add weight to my ARs then it will be a good light and mount or buis.

Amur
10-23-13, 15:25
I kinda like them. I got one after reading this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42521

Is it as a good as a bipod....hell no

Is it lighter, less bulky and faster to deploy....YES

I think it add some benifit for very little downside.

Kokopelli
10-23-13, 16:10
I have a couple of real grip pods (not fake) and I use them at the indoor range (range table). They work very well for that. They also work well for keeping a little carbine (6450) at the ready at home.

I have a GG&G bipod for outdoor range that I love. That's my deal..

RHINOWSO
10-23-13, 16:16
Harris for bolt guns, a single Atlas to put on the SCARs / ARs as need for sighting in / bench / etc shooting.

VFGs as you like.

Briman1001
10-23-13, 20:37
Agreed. It is good at neither, but does actually work as both which is its purpose. Spend your money on two things that do each job best unless you have to have something you cannot change out and needs to accomplish both tasks.

strambo
10-23-13, 22:14
I have a grip pod...not sure if it is real or not. It was just on my desk one day in Afghanistan, everybody got one. I never used it, I carried my M9 to chow. :D

I didn't run a VFG in A-Stan, just the KAC rail with a cover on the bottom and an ACOG. In Iraq, I found an old KAC VFG to use instead of the now almost universally issued -Pod, I told the armorer to keep it.

TxPiKapp
10-24-13, 00:24
i definitely like the functionality of the grip pod but if it was adjustable it would be a great option.. it seems its always too high when bench shooting for me..

kevN
10-24-13, 00:41
Something about this product entices everyone (myself included) to buy it in about month 3 of owning their first AR.

But, it's really the worst of both worlds. Better to invest in a good detachable bipod mount and bipod (or the Larue Harris BRM-S with built-in mount) and be able to put it on/off several guns as needed.

I will occasionally take the bipod off one of my precision guns and throw it on a carbine just to get the best zero I can at the range with a rear bag and then it comes right off. (Along with the 3x magnifier as well).

ryr8828
10-24-13, 06:32
I have a couple of grip pods. Their best uses for me are propping up a rifle for insurance pictures, and when my son borrows them once a year to prop up paintball guns in his booth at hunting and fishing days at the local community college.

nova3930
10-24-13, 11:39
Something about this product entices everyone (myself included) to buy it in about month 3 of owning their first AR.

I think it's part of human nature to want one solution to as many problems as possible. "It's floor wax that's also a dessert topping" :p

ScottsBad
10-24-13, 12:14
I love this forum, no BS. I tried out one of the those T-Pods. I thought it would solve my need for a bi-pod and give me a VG. Whoa, wrong. The thing is too long as a VG, too heavy, clunky to deploy, and inflexible as a bipod.

Don't bother, instead buy a bipod with a quick release. And if you need a vertical grip buy one of those (Maybe the new BCM grip?), but don't waste your money on the grip/bipod hybrid.

Just my opinion and subject to change without notice.

Boba Fett v2
10-24-13, 18:23
My thoughts on grip pods:

1. waste of money
2. worthless
3. ugly

YMMV

HKGuns
10-24-13, 21:05
My thoughts on grip pods:

1. waste of money
2. worthless
3. ugly

YMMV

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Kchen986
10-24-13, 21:10
I love em' on a crew served. On the civilian side, I have it for my SCAR17. It's not a great bipod or a great VFG, but it does both jobs well enough. Would I use one for a designated precision rifle? No. But for a 7.62 carbine with the occasional long range shot? I think it has its merits.

obed_ned
10-27-13, 22:45
Is it as good as my Harris bipod? No, not nearly.

Is it useful at the range? Yes, definitely.

Is it the best VFG? Not.

DS-11B
10-28-13, 18:10
I had a grip pod and hated it. It is heavy for a VFG, too big and clunky. Not only is the height awkward but the bipod aspect of it has a bad habit of deploying if the button is accidentally pushed.

a bag works best for stability when bench shooting but if you really want a bipod, for an AR-15 you might look at the Harris 6-9" adjustable bipod.

Stangman
10-28-13, 19:03
I keep one in the back of the safe for hunting season as it serves a purpose for me then for a more solid base in different shooting positions. Aside from that, I've got no use for it as I rarely target hunt any more. If I'm at the range I typically have something I'm working on, from shooting positions to reloads etc., and it just gets in the way then.