PDA

View Full Version : DC man faces 2 yrs for unregistered ammo

platoonDaddy
10-23-13, 11:35
This is just friggin sick, Gestapo tactics! Also pulled his 16 year son out of the shower. Dang, what happened to common sense? L-N-L

Mark Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal record, is facing two years in prison for possession of unregistered ammunition after D.C. police raided his house looking for guns. Mr. Witaschek has never had a firearm in the city, but he is being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The trial starts on Nov. 4.

The police banged on the front door of Mr. Witaschek’s Georgetown home at 8:20 p.m. on July 7, 2012, to execute a search warrant for “firearms and ammunition … gun cleaning equipment, holsters, bullet holders and ammunition receipts.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/

Eurodriver
10-23-13, 11:41
In all seriousness, there has to be more to the story or PD in DC have gone full retard.

RearwardAssist
10-23-13, 13:56
Read the link he only copied a small portion of it and yes it gets worse.

brickboy240
10-23-13, 14:08
So basically all he had was a dud 12ga round, 1 piece of 270 brass, a box of 40SW ammo, a cap and ball Colt and a box of bullets?

Wow...that is beyond crazy.

You would think...a some point in this fiasco...that the cops would maybe take a step back and realize this was a tad over the top?

This is EXACTLY the type of scenario that the left wants to play out if and when they enact total gun registration in America. This is their wet dream.

Absolutely scary....and totally a violation of his rights.

-brickboy240

Renegade
10-23-13, 14:16
Another case of police being used as tools by a bitter ex-wife.

Had she said he was making Meth they probably would not have cared, but the chance to screw an otherwise law-abiding gun owner cannot be missed.

You live in DC you are an idiot.

THCDDM4
10-23-13, 14:34
Wow. Brown shirts are alive and well in DC.

How could any LEO be okay with this? Conducting a raid like this for a spent shotgun shell and antique bullets? Especially after ALREADY conducting a warrantless search (The homeowner okayed the search- FYI).

Bashing a bathroom door down of a 16 YO who is showering and pulling them from the shower naked! WTF?!?!?!?!

The raid was more damaging to individuals and society itself than the spent shell and antique bullets could ever have been. By FAR!

Can anyone explain/justify these actions by LEO's in this scenario?
Also can anyone explain a possible 2-year prison sentence for this BS?

Is there any logic here or is it just as it looks to be- a ****ing nightmare of abused power and illegal/unconstitutional actions by DC police.

It is really time to clean house, and reinstate the Constitution in this country; starting with DC.

I cannot fathom how an LEO who took an oath to uphold the constitution could live with themselves after abusing/taking away someones rights like this.

Sick of hearing about all the tyranny rearing its ugly head in this country. Shades of fascism/communism seemingly everywhere you look mow-a-days. Pretty disgusting this shit is happening in AMERICA!

I can't believe revolts haven't started popping up in this country already/recently.

Eurodriver
10-23-13, 15:13
Guys guys....I'm sure this is an isolated incident, extenuating circumstances. etc.

We all know LEOs wouldn't abuse their power, and that there is no police state. We are only getting one side of the story.

eightmillimeter
10-23-13, 17:35
I'm sorry but since when do the "statements and complaints" of an estranged ex-wife constitute probable cause for a search warrant?

Spiffums
10-23-13, 17:57
I blame the cargo pockets :(

NeoNeanderthal
10-23-13, 19:04
"unregistered ammo" lol. That shit is so crazy to me.

jpmuscle
10-23-13, 19:14
In all seriousness, there has to be more to the story or PD in DC have gone full retard.

Their arresting people for having spent brass in their possession. Sooo yea.

SteyrAUG
10-23-13, 20:00
"unregistered ammo" lol. That shit is so crazy to me.

This is so insane to me it's like a person being arrested for having a cell phone.

That "holsters" were actually on the warrant is so bizarre I can't even discuss it.

jpmuscle
10-23-13, 20:04
In all honestly I'm partly surprised they didn't call the high speed guys to do a raid. This situation obviously warranted it. :rolleyes:

Eurodriver
10-23-13, 20:31
Any LEOs care to comment?

"Just doing their job"? (Like Eichmann, right?)

SWATcop556
10-23-13, 21:29
Guys guys....I'm sure this is an isolated incident, extenuating circumstances. etc.

We all know LEOs wouldn't abuse their power, and that there is no police state. We are only getting one side of the story.

Any LEOs care to comment?

"Just doing their job"? (Like Eichmann, right?)

Dial back the rhetoric dude. It's getting old.

FChen17213
10-23-13, 21:56
Actually we shouldn't be surprised. This is simply a reflection of the DC culture. Other places like NYC and Chicago mostly likely sport a similar culture amongst most people. Guns are a big deal. Brass, holsters, bullets, mags, cartridges are all big deals and items that should either be registered or outright banned.

This just demonstrates how different parts of the country are. While some people have firearms everywhere and handle firearms on a daily basis, others are terrified by mere firearm paraphernalia or anything related to firearms. There are people in some communities who cringe at toy guns and freak out at shell casings. There are people out there who think it's a big deal to have shot a gun before while many on this forum I'm sure fire their weapon almost daily in training.

Tragically, this country is moving toward a nation of those who are like the majority in Chicago and DC who fear firearms and believe that firearms have no place in society. If you check some stats, the younger people in America own less and less firearms.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-23-13, 22:32
This is so insane to me it's like a person being arrested for having a cell phone.

That "holsters" were actually on the warrant is so bizarre I can't even discuss it.

This 100%. I don't even know how to respond. I guess I would be the equivalent of fing bin laden in DC.

Be careful of those holsters and gun cleaning items guys, they can get pretty dangerous.

SteyrAUG
10-24-13, 00:32
This 100%. I don't even know how to respond. I guess I would be the equivalent of fing bin laden in DC.

Be careful of those holsters and gun cleaning items guys, they can get pretty dangerous.

We should probably keep in mind the mayor of DC got caught smoking crack with a prostitute in 1990 and then was elected to the DC city council and eventually became mayor again from 1994-1999.

The Washington Post has stated that "To understand the District of Columbia, one must understand Marion Barry."

DC sure sounds like a crackhead to me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-24-13, 01:03
Prosecute this man, throw the damn book at him too! But ONLY if you prosecute the DC Chief, Feinstein, and David Gregory for the SAME THING.

This is what our country has come to. The capitol of the nation that stands for freedom is utilizing gestapo tactics from past regimes that our fathers and grandfathers fought and died to topple. Welcome to 1970's Cambodia. Welcome to 1930's Germany. Welcome to 2010's USA.

I think the criticism of the LEO's involved here is not only valid, but necessary. I work for a certain county Sheriff that was recently on the national stage for saying that he refuses to enforce the new Colorado gun laws, that he will not allow hos deputies to enforce them, and that he will not hold anyone in his jail that is only charged with those crimes. I stand by him 100% in this. Those LEO's did something immoral that day, and while they acted within the letter of the law, they were dead wrong in what they did.

platoonDaddy
10-24-13, 06:22
This is just too much to swallow: Serving his sister with a criminal subpoena. Wonder who issued the subpoena, she lives in Va? What business of whomever what type weapons he has.

Two weeks after the June raid, D.C. police investigators went to his sister’s house — unaccompanied by Virginia police and without a warrant — and asked to “view” the firearms, according to a police report. She refused. The next day, the D.C. police returned to her house with the Arlington County police and served her with a criminal subpoena.

Someone has a hard-on for this guy, no reason for him to spend a night in jail!

Mr. Witaschek went to the police station on Aug. 24 at 5:30 a.m. to turn himself in, but was not transferred to central booking until 11:30 a.m., at which time he was told it was too late to be arraigned that day. He spent the night in jail and was released the next day at 10 a.m.

Eurodriver
10-24-13, 07:31
Dial back the rhetoric dude. It's getting old.

Do you have any thoughts on the matter other than being upset someone is calling out the police?

Eurodriver
10-24-13, 07:42
I think the criticism of the LEO's involved here is not only valid, but necessary. I work for a certain county Sheriff that was recently on the national stage for saying that he refuses to enforce the new Colorado gun laws, that he will not allow hos deputies to enforce them, and that he will not hold anyone in his jail that is only charged with those crimes. I stand by him 100% in this. Those LEO's did something immoral that day, and while they acted within the letter of the law, they were dead wrong in what they did.

Agreed.

We need more legal realists on the police forces...and people with the balls to say "Why the hell are we ripping a naked teenager out of the shower?"

I'm happy to say the LEOs around here (all the way up the chain) wouldn't participate in this hooliganism. But why there isn't accountability among themselves either in D.C. or among outside agencies is beyond me.

LEOs in places like this need to dial back on the tyranny. Its getting old.

Edit: Because stories like this make me pretty incensed, I've been doing some researching. I can't find anything online about this guy. He has a LinkedIn account but nothing more. I can't find any arrest records, mugshots, etc.

This may explain why:
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-29/opinions/38123018_1_mug-shots-d-c-council-u-s-appeals-court

Caduceus
10-24-13, 08:11
Wow, huge black eye for the city. Being a business man, I hope he has the money (or sets up a fund) for taking this to court and sticking it to the police department.

Wonder if the cops can be charged with sexual assault on a minor for pulling a naked kid out of the shower?

Destruction of property? (that bathroom door)

Theft? (the antique pistol) Or better yet, violation of the 4th Amendment if that antique pistol wasn't on the warrant.

HackerF15E
10-24-13, 08:30
I love how brass, holsters, etc, are discussed like "drug paraphenalia".

Unbelievable.

platoonDaddy
10-24-13, 08:35
Pls educate me on a criminal subpoena. Just don't understand why any subpoena would be issued to his sister, living in Va.

brickboy240
10-24-13, 10:10
There has got to be more to this story than what is in this article.

I just don't see most police officers going through all that and nobody thinking, "hey..maybe this is a little over the top."

Anybody else thinking this?

-brickboy240

Irish
10-24-13, 10:42
Beyond reprehensible. When are people going to wake up?

Watch this brief video Mark Dice just released where he asks people to sign his petition to increase the Orwellian, Nazi police state: http://youtu.be/l02E4cj4Vvo

http://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/3_anoose-1.jpg

jpmuscle
10-24-13, 12:00
To further put things in perspective

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23779870/dc-leaders-continue-discussion-at-marijuana-hearing#axzz2ieqm8DJD

J-Dub
10-24-13, 13:41
Do you have any thoughts on the matter other than being upset someone is calling out the police?

Do you?

Do you have any thoughts on working for the Federal Government, you know since D.C. is a Federal entity, that which Congress has "exclusive jurisdiction" over????

Have you ever heard of the saying regarding pots calling kettles black, or the one about people living in glass houses??? If not, maybe you should look in to those......

Now to the man facing jail time, I hope he has a good lawyer. Also, maybe he should look in to moving to a free state...(aka not D.C. or anywhere on the east coast).

brickboy240
10-24-13, 13:49
This COULD happen anywhere in America, but yes, it is MUCH more likely to happen in blue states or DC.

If you truly want to freely partake of the firearms world...you best move out of a blue state or city. That is the take-away from this story.

Still...maybe the cops had some other info on this guy that is not in the story? It still seems odd and beyond overkill for one person with such a small stash of gun stuff.

-brickboy240

_Stormin_
10-24-13, 13:51
Look how far we've come...

Federally illegal drugs "should be legal in small quantities."

Federally legal ammo, or even components, are illegal in any quantities.

platoonDaddy
10-25-13, 09:38
We better wake up!
OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC

Feds confiscate investigative reporter’s confidential files during raid

In an interview with The Daily Caller, journalist Audrey Hudson revealed that the Department of Homeland Security and Maryland State Police were involved in a predawn raid of her Shady Side, Md. home on Aug. 6. Hudson is a former Washington Times reporter and current freelance reporter.

A search warrant obtained by TheDC indicates that the August raid allowed law enforcement to search for firearms inside her home.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/25/exclusive-feds-confiscate-investigative-reporters-confidential-files-during-raid/

SeriousStudent
10-25-13, 15:15
To further put things in perspective

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23779870/dc-leaders-continue-discussion-at-marijuana-hearing#axzz2ieqm8DJD

Marion Barry "liked" that on his Facebook page.

(Sorry, I could not resist, everyone please continue with your bickering....)

Javelin
10-25-13, 17:09
Who else is sick of this police state that has become our Country?

I sure as hell am.

Eurodriver
10-25-13, 17:19
DC mayor on pot: arrests more harmful than use

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A deputy attorney general says District of Columbia Mayor Vincent Gray supports decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana because the drug is not particularly harmful and because arresting people for possession can do significant damage.

Andrew Fois is the city's deputy attorney general for public safety. He told a D.C. Council committee Thursday about the mayor's stance on decriminalization, one day after the mayor said for the first time that he supports it.

However, Fois says the mayor does want the city's decriminalization bill to be toughened somewhat. He still wants it to be a criminal offense to smoke marijuana on sidewalks, in parks or in other public spaces where children are present. He also says it should be a criminal offense to duck a civil marijuana citation.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23779870/dc-leaders-continue-discussion-at-marijuana-hearing#ixzz2im6NwQap
Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

My problem with this is they are doing the right things for the wrong reasons.

Hey, African Americans can't obey the law...therefore, we should get rid of it!

When in reality they should be saying Hey, this is a stupid, pointless law that just gives the police excuses to trample on everyone's liberty. We should get rid of it!