PDA

View Full Version : What's your ar15 formula

Harrisboy2
10-23-13, 11:40
I know the ar15 doesn't have much recoil but some beleive in using the system at its peak performance. I just thought I would see what others are using in their rifles I'll explain mine first my rifle has the recoil of a .22 and maybe less than that, and no muzzle rise or that up to the right thing going on if you are a righty that's why there are two hole on the top of the right side.

M4 carbine gas system
Rainier arms xtc comp
Dpms semi bcg
Spikes t3 buffer
Sprinco blue spring

MiamiCracker
10-23-13, 11:42
BCM Mod 1 comp
BCM BCG
Spikes T-2 Buffer
Carbine Spring but I have a Sprinco blue I haven't tried yet
Mid length gas system

Harrisboy2
10-23-13, 11:49
BCM Mod 1 comp
BCM BCG
Spikes T-2 Buffer
Carbine Spring but I have a Sprinco blue I haven't tried yet
Mid length gas system

Speaking of sprinco I really like the machine gunners lube the sell

MiamiCracker
10-23-13, 11:50
I have the small bootle they gave me somewhere. Gotta try it.

Harrisboy2
10-23-13, 11:53
I have the small bootle they gave me somewhere. Gotta try it.

Yeah mine came with my spring but I use it on the bolt rails and the cam pin and bolt. Oh and the buffer spring of course. I like how slick it leaves the bcg moving and it stays put during storage!

Grip
10-23-13, 12:17
Battle comp 1.0
Young mfg nm bcg
H buffer and spring that came with a milspec buffer tube kit
carbine gas

Harrisboy2
10-23-13, 14:17
I love the xtc comp a lot of blogs compare it to the pws fsc556 comp and for the price of the xtc it's really worth just as much as the pws I've heard good things about both but this is my testament to the xtc I use it along with an t3 buffer and sprinco blue buffer spring and I have little to no recoil impulse at all with it. Rapid fire is not a problem it's actually easy. For $56 it is a great investment.

Caduceus
10-23-13, 14:30
Been playing with one of my carbines; unfortunately the nearest range won't allow M193.

16.1 barrel
Carbine gas
Sprinco Blue spring
H3 buffer
5-coil extractor spring
Rainier Arms FA BCG

Tried it only while sighting my BUIS, about 30 shots total (sighting and finishing the mag). I had just shot about 200 rounds over 3 hours in a class on a different carbine. Definitely felt different, could feel the buffer moving back and forth. Kick seemed flatter, but I was being distracted by the buffer. Looking forward to trying it more in the near future.

BTW, Sprinco sells the machine gunner lube in larger bottles; I grabbed 1 tiny bottle for each BCM hand grip and a 4 oz bottle to top them off.

ColtSeavers
10-23-13, 14:56
MI FH/Comp/Impact device (timed to 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30)
16" Medium contour barrel
Mid length gas
Rainier Arms Precision Match NiB BCG
WMD NiB charging handle
St-t2 buffer (4.1 oz.)
Blue Sprinco buffer spring

Shooting and general function is extremely smooth, with only a little muzzle rise.

Koshinn
10-23-13, 15:20
10.5" N4 barrel, A5H4 buffer, Green Springco rifle spring, F/A Noveske BCG, AAC 2 port muzzle brake, PMC Bronze .223 55gr ammo.

Basically no recoil at all. Bullet is also probably going pretty slow too.

It's also really really loud. Then I put a SDN-6 on it and it's less loud and still has very little recoil.

Kokopelli
10-23-13, 15:26
Why won't they allow 193? Lots don't allow 855 (green tip) but I've never heard of a range that didn't allow 193; standard 55gr FMJ.. Ron

Been playing with one of my carbines; unfortunately the nearest range won't allow M193.

16.1 barrel
Carbine gas
Sprinco Blue spring
H3 buffer
5-coil extractor spring
Rainier Arms FA BCG

Tried it only while sighting my BUIS, about 30 shots total (sighting and finishing the mag). I had just shot about 200 rounds over 3 hours in a class on a different carbine. Definitely felt different, could feel the buffer moving back and forth. Kick seemed flatter, but I was being distracted by the buffer. Looking forward to trying it more in the near future.

BTW, Sprinco sells the machine gunner lube in larger bottles; I grabbed 1 tiny bottle for each BCM hand grip and a 4 oz bottle to top them off.

Abraham
10-23-13, 15:50
I too wonder why no M193?

I just spent a few hours shooting 855 (green tip) in my back yard. I live out in the country and all my neighbors are gun folk.

I built a 4' X 4' box target with plywood/landscaping timbers and 27 inches of hard packed dirt.

I've replaced the front plywood a number of times, but have never had a round penetrate to the back one - so I wonder what the concern of the range could be...?

Mariley85
10-23-13, 16:00
BCM 14.5" middy
AAC 51t BRAKE
f/a bcg
h buffer

runs well.

Plato
10-23-13, 18:28
I too wonder why no M193?

I just spent a few hours shooting 855 (green tip) in my back yard. I live out in the country and all my neighbors are gun folk.

I built a 4' X 4' box target with plywood/landscaping timbers and 27 inches of hard packed dirt.

I've replaced the front plywood a number of times, but have never had a round penetrate to the back one - so I wonder what the concern of the range could be...?

I envy you like nothing else.

I would shoot 1K a week with that sort of freedom.

Caduceus
10-23-13, 18:57
Why won't they allow 193? Lots don't allow 855 (green tip) but I've never heard of a range that didn't allow 193; standard 55gr FMJ.. Ron

Cuz they're a bunch of jack-wagons. I actually mentioned it on the GD thread about gun stores.

A few times back I showed up with some commercial reloads from Ventura Munitions (which, btw, suck. Every 10-20 rounds a bullet will get shoved into the casing and fail to feed). Anyway, they saw "LC" on the brass and nixed it. "Lake City is loaded too hot." Didn't matter that I was telling them it wasn't LC production. But they did try to sell me some PMC Bronze I could use. So I left.

Next trip, brought PMC Xtac M193. No problems.

Next trip, same thing, Xtac. "No, can't let you use FMJ, it tears up our backstop." OK, I pointed out, but you have PMC sitting behind you that's 55gr FMJ ... "Oh, we have to still repair the backstop with that." BTW, same idiot as the Lake City commentary. So according to him this time, soft points were OK.

The real annoying this is people shoot black powder, WW2 bolt actions, lever action and bolt action hunting rifles there. I'm pretty sure a 8mm mauser causes more damage to a backstop.

I plan on going with my .22lr upper one day and really screwing with them.

Kokopelli
10-23-13, 19:23
LOL...

STG44*
10-23-13, 21:18
Been away from the AR stuff for a few years,was surprised when
I recently shot my Colt with a 14.5" barrel and no "sproing" in
the tube from recoil! Pete:confused:

RWH24
10-23-13, 23:32
All of the ranges near and in the DFW area say No FMJ period. 193/855 or even Rem/UMC/WWB/PMC, 55gr FMJ. Have not tried shooting Silver Bear 62gr JHP yet..

308sako
10-24-13, 05:10
Colt Hbar Elite
JP adjustable gas block
Tubb CWS
Tubb CS spring

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-24-13, 06:13
Ive got a "good" formula that Ive been using for years:

Buy a good upper
From a good manufacturer
Buy a good BCG with that upper
Mate it to a good lower
From a good manufatcurer
Put some good ammo in it
Pull the trigger a good amount of times

Is my 14.5 Mid w/H Buffer and BCM Comp a smooth shooter? Sure thing. But does it really shoot that much better than my standard 16" Midlength? No. Why? Because they are both formulaically "good".

theblackknight
10-24-13, 07:05
DPMS rifle
That rail thing that rotates
Tapco stuff
Multiple grip pods,2 is 1!
Mystery optic from flea market.
Reloads in a zip lock bag

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Campbell
10-24-13, 07:18
Ive got a "good" formula that Ive been using for years:

Buy a good upper
From a good manufacturer
Buy a good BCG with that upper
Mate it to a good lower
From a good manufatcurer
Put some good ammo in it
Pull the trigger a good amount of times

Is my 14.5 Mid w/H Buffer and BCM Comp a smooth shooter? Sure thing. But does it really shoot that much better than my standard 16" Midlength? No. Why? Because they are both formulaically "good".

This ^^^^^^^^^^^
When I was young I liked to piece together rifles{always quality parts} because I had time, and thought it was cool...I just buy 6920s,DD....factory rifles now just because its easy.

JSantoro
10-24-13, 07:35
Stickied thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=141036