PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a detent issue. Hit a road block.

SkyStorm82
10-23-13, 18:48
Well this is a first.

I'm building up a Gen 1 Noveske chainsaw lower and things were going good until I tried to install the rear takedown pin.

The takedown detent gets stuck at the hole opening closest to the takedown pin. The tip of the detent just barley peeks thru. It wont freely go through to engage the takedown pin.

The takedown spring properly installed with the end receiver plate locking it all in doesn't solve the problem. The spring won't push the detent the rest of the way through the exiting hole to hit the takedown pin.

I've probably built up 7 lowers and the LPK for this build is a G&R Tactical one. I've tried a different detent and spring and the same thing happens.
Any ideas?

JBecker 72
10-23-13, 19:04
Possible the end of the hole needs to get reamed out slightly.

NeoNeanderthal
10-23-13, 19:05
I am assuming you manually tried to fully seat the detent? (Like with a tiny alan wrench.) Or pulled it out and poked a paperclip or something in there to make sure there was nothing obstructing the detent recess?

SkyStorm82
10-23-13, 19:09
I am assuming you manually tried to fully seat the detent? (Like with a tiny alan wrench.) Or pulled it out and poked a paperclip or something in there to make sure there was nothing obstructing the detent recess?

Yeah. Forced it through without the take down pin thinking it would loosen up. It got stuck.

Had to use needle nose pliers, and a knife tip to push it back out. The detent got chewed up pretty good because of this so it's a good thing I got spares.

What size reaming tool would i need....anyone know off the top of their head?

Kokopelli
10-23-13, 19:20
Just measure the detent or the opposite end of the channel and then use a drill bit, taper punch, scribe, etc. most anything and enlarge the hole a-bit..

SkyStorm82
10-23-13, 19:27
Just measure the detent or the opposite end of the channel and then use a drill bit, taper punch, scribe, etc. most anything and enlarge the hole a-bit..

Ok, I used a 3/32" drill bit which loosened up the exit side.

The drill was my first thought, but thought it would be a bubba thing and I'd screw it up. Just needed some encouragement from you guys i guess.

Thanks fellas.

Kokopelli
10-23-13, 19:43
Nah.. you're GTG.. Cheers.. Ron

Ok, I used a 3/32" drill bit which loosened up the exit side.

The drill was my first thought, but thought it would be a bubba thing and I'd screw it up. Just needed some encouragement from you guys i guess.

Thanks fellas.

Bandanabandit1
10-23-13, 23:14
Well...how did it turn out?

SkyStorm82
10-24-13, 03:04
Well...how did it turn out?

All good. Used a 3/32" drill bit. Thanks again guys.