PDA

View Full Version : EOTech 557 vs Aimpoint Comp M3

Gunfighter.45
05-01-08, 15:52
Which one these would you guys prefer in a real combat situation?

DocMinster
05-01-08, 23:04
I never used a EoTech in combat but I have had Zero problems with the Aimpoint

I have owned a EoTech
IMHO too many button options (and part of the reason I went back to the Aimpoint)
EoTech:
1 to turn on
2 to turn off
2 to turn intensity up or down
and a 3rd to turn on NV

Aimpoint:
1 Button/dial to:
turn on
turn off
increase decrease intensity
select NV

in a Stress Fire situation the LAST thing you need to concentrate on is buttons.

Failure2Stop
05-02-08, 05:37
Aimpoint, flat out, hands down.

I have used a few different optics in theater, and there are precious few that can withstand the reality of armed conflict. There is a lot more to war than just shooting, and a lot of damage is dished out over extended periods of time.

While the EoTech may provide slightly faster close-range engagement times to some over the M3, it is not truly a "combat" caipable optic. Dedicated CQB? - sure, but not full-spectrum.

I do own EoTechs, and have more than a little time behind them. If the design could be reworked to provide half the battery life and durability of an Aimpoint, I would love them. But they don't.

The auto-shutoff is a non-starter for combat use. Combat doesn't routinely occur in 8 hour increments. That means that at some time, without your knowledge, your reticle is going to disappear. Will it happen after you get back to the FOB? Maybe while you are sleeping? Maybe ten seconds before a gunfight starts, or ten seconds after? Hell, maybe you already went through the miniscule battery life, and no matter how many times you mash the buttons, it ain't coming back to life.

I am also no fan of the mounting hardware. While many issues are due to user error, many are not.

The Aimpoint is always on. Change the battery every enlistment and it will be fine. While the QRP mount is not the best, it is adequate, and the offerings from LaRue are bomb-proof. The intensity knob is intuitive and reflexive. FOV is a non-issue with 2-eyed technique.

Try fitting the optic, a magnifier, and a BUIS to your gun. Another nod to Aimpoint. (ETA- oops :eek: , was thinking 553, instead of the very clearly stated 557. The 557 works in this application, as illustrated below by "los".)

But that's just me.

variablebinary
05-02-08, 09:36
I'd take Eotech

Why? Speed

If I were to set up 10 steel plates and had to down them as fast as possible, the Eotech would win every time. On moving targets, once again Eotech wins in my experiance.

I own both, like both, the Aimpoint controls and battery life are better, but the single dot just isnt as fast in my hands. The Eotech HUD is better to me.

The Eotech is easier to mount. Its G2G out the box, while the aimpoint requires a mount. In my case I use a Larue mount, which is fine, but it is an additional expense

Neither are perfect, each has perks and shortcomings, but if I had to go outside and do some riot/zombie prevention I'd grab the Eotech.

DocGKR
05-02-08, 09:52
Aimpoint.

Joe R.
05-02-08, 10:48
Aimpoint has a undeniable advantage when it comes to durability and battery life. If you want to play games the Eotec is fine...losing a match isn't a life changing experience. If you're using a dot sight to help save your life, buy the Aimpoint.

los
05-02-08, 11:38
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/327-30.jpg

;)

sff70
05-02-08, 12:44
Having used/owned: M2, 512, 552 I have found:

Aimpoint M2/M3/M4 = reliability of an anvil, battery life measured in YEARS

Eotech = slightly faster to use, better field of view

The Aimpoint Micro might be the best sight yet. A buddy will loan me his so I can play with it and decide.

Erick Gelhaus
05-02-08, 13:10
One of the three optics I used downrange was a CompM2. Sold it to the brother of one of my guys who was in the brigade that RIP'd us - because they did not have enough glass (we did not either, which was why i was using my own stuff).

As soon I got back to work I replaced it with a CompM3. Since then I've bought more Aimpoints.

Reliable & rugged as all get out, simple, easy and just one knob & one red dot to deal with - works great in my eyes.

sigmundsauer
05-02-08, 13:31
I recently upgraded to a Comp M4. Couldn't be happier.

EOTechs are fun to use on full-auto and CQB. But that's about it.

Tim

The Archangel
05-02-08, 13:57
I owned an Aimpoint Comp-M
Liked it, but heard about the new EOTechs coming out and wanted one.
Sold it to a friend and bought an EOTech 552
+ Liked the circle/dot reticule. Seemed natural to the human eye and remind me of the WWII pilot gun sights.
+ Liked the aluminum protective hood. Gives the optic a very rugged look.
- Didn't like the pixilated "fuzziness" of the reticule
- Didn't like the operating buttons (too close to my BUIS)
- Didn't like the way it sits canted on my receiver (thought it was just me until I did some research and it seems to be an ongoing EOTech issue.
- Didn't like the battery life compared to the Aimpoints availble at THAT time (CompM2 = 10,000 hours)
- Didn't like reading about how a few had batteries that exploded from the heat when mounted on the forward rails. I have no confirmation whether, or not that this actually happened, but the stock mount is too low and being right on an aluminum rails above the barrel, I can see that actually happening.

When the Aimpoint CompM3 came out with a 50,000 hour battery life, I couldn't sell the EOTech fast enough.

Aimpoint all the way from now on for me.

Lumpy196
05-02-08, 14:24
One has obscene battery life, boringly predictable reliability and endless mounting options.

If that means anything to you, then that's the way to go ;)

CarlosDJackal
05-02-08, 15:17
Aimpoints I own: 2 x CompM2s, CompM3 (2 MOA), T-1 Micro, and 3x Magnifier.

Eotechs I own: *chirp-chirp-chirp-...* (sound of crickets)

I have way too many Eotechs fail. One of the local PD SWAT teams had issues with their Eotechs' battery draining if they leave thei M4s in their cruisers' trunk overnight during cold weather days. Another local PD SWAT team has had to return two of their Eotechs because it would shut down when firing (this is a known Eotech issue).

My first exposure to the Eotech was at a rifle side-match during an IDPA match at Blackwater many years ago. One competitor's sight shut down just prior to the buzzer going off - he may have jarred it when he put the rifle down on the starting point. I've also seen these washout when the sun hit it at just the right angle.

I have yet to see Aimpoints have any issues. YMMV.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-02-08, 16:00
We all know of the criticism of Eotech's, but has anyone ever attempted to isolate exactly which ones fail most often?

From what I have seen the 512/552 models seem to be the most reliable and have the longest battery life. My own 512 has had no issues of any kind, except battery run-time. The auto shut-off so despised by others is actually a bonus, keeping you from wasting batteries if you aren't needing it. It's not perfect, but if you get itchy about needing it running for a period of time, just press the brightness adjust and the auto-shut off is reset.

I think the Aimpoint comes out on top of a features v. features comparison, but the Eotech wins in my book because of my preference for the reticule. The aimpoint is dead reliable, but my Eotech's reticule gives me an advantage in speed, and accuracy.

Anybody prefer the Eotech reticule, but use an Aimpoint instead?

variablebinary
05-02-08, 16:53
We all know of the criticism of Eotech's, but has anyone ever attempted to isolate exactly which ones fail most often?

From what I have seen the 512/552 models seem to be the most reliable and have the longest battery life. My own 512 has had no issues of any kind, except battery run-time. The auto shut-off so despised by others is actually a bonus, keeping you from wasting batteries if you aren't needing it. It's not perfect, but if you get itchy about needing it running for a period of time, just press the brightness adjust and the auto-shut off is reset.

I think the Aimpoint comes out on top of a features v. features comparison, but the Eotech wins in my book because of my preference for the reticule. The aimpoint is dead reliable, but my Eotech's reticule gives me an advantage in speed, and accuracy.

Anybody prefer the Eotech reticule, but use an Aimpoint instead?

I go back and forth between the two. For awhile I tried to stick to my 2MOA ML3 just to ensure my twitch reflex could operate effectively with the limitations of the aimpoint dot, in return for battery life.

But I'm more at home with Eotech. The reticle is just better, especially for moving targets.

hellbound
05-02-08, 17:56
aimpoint all the way...

+ battery life
+ durability
+ mounting options
+ lower 1/3 cowitness
+ simple red dot

i really question how useful a 65MOA ring is in real world applications, and apparently L3 questioned it too since the new eotechs are available with just the dot...

after the eotechs were recalled for shutting off under the "savage" recoil of 5.56 ;) i'm sticking with the aimpoint.

Shihan
05-02-08, 19:14
Any problems with the 557's like the 553 has had?

Harv
05-02-08, 19:49
Bushmasterfanboy

Why???

The Aimpoint has none of those problems, and it would takes years before I would trust that EOTech has taken care of there issues.....

I'll let someone else do that....not me..

the1911fan
05-02-08, 20:31
Aimpoint...One of SWAT officers was saying that one of the team leaders was a big Eotech fan because of the reticle and field of view for CQB. The team leader was saying the Aimpoint dot was hard to find quickly, FOV too small.

I showed the SWAT guy on our dept. the M3 2 MOA dot turned all the way up and he did not have any problem finding the RD fast and felt the FOV was fine too. When I advised him of the pros and cons of both he figured as I that it was of case of "I like A better than B" for no real reason and lack of knowledge.

Submariner
05-02-08, 20:57

Why waste time/effort? Sell them on barfcom, at a fun show to someone you don't know, or someone you don't like and buy Aimpoint

M4Guru
05-02-08, 21:15
has anyone ever attempted to isolate exactly which ones fail most often?

I have attempted this by using the 551, 552, and 553 extensively at work.

I have come to the conclusion that the ones that fail the most say "Eotech" on them. So, watch out for sights marked "Eotech" and you should be fine...

:D

CarlosDJackal
05-02-08, 22:29

I have come to the conclusion that the ones that fail the most say "Eotech" on them. So, watch out for sights marked "Eotech" and you should be fine...

ROFLMAO!! That was cold!! Funny, but cold. :p

toddackerman
05-03-08, 10:06
The problem most associated with the EOTechs WAS (at least 4 years ago) associated with an intermittent "Power Off" because the battery springs were not strong enough to absorb the recoil, and would "bounce" the battery away from the contacts causing a "Disconnect" between the battery and contacts. This happened to me twice. EOTech admitted this was the problem (and said they fixed it with stronger contact springs), replaced the battery compartment with stronger springs, but after I received it, I sold the unit. I just gave me the "Creeps".

I replaced the EOTech with a Aimpoint COMP ML3 w/ 2 MOA Dot and couldn't be happier. The field of view is acceptable, although not as wide as the EOTech, and target acquisition is fast enough for CQB. Once you get use to the Aimpoint Dot (practice), it is in "Practical Applications" (not intrinsically) equal IMHO to the EOTech reticle as far as speed. I can easily engage humanoid targets at 200 yards without any problems. Actually, I can hit 8" plates at 200 yards 90 % of the time with the first shot if positioned properly (prone etc.) My eyes are a little old.

Add 5 years of battery life, unlimited mounting options, the fact that it doesn't turn off UNTIL you want it off, and the fact that you can drive a truck over it without damage, I believe it to be a superior system.

RojasTKD
05-03-08, 15:06
Wow... not much love for EOTech here... LOL

I love mine. I appreciate the greater field of view and the 1 MOA dot with in the circle. It does make for ease of targeting. Mine is a 553 so I really like the QD ability. Battery life if not that of the Aimpoints, but 1100 hours my 553 is good enough (I carry 6 spare batteries in my stock saddle).

I may have to consider an Aimpoint once I finally get a second AR, and an ACOG for my 3rd (Hey I can dream, right?).

Choose what you prefer, can't go wrong with either I think.

rob_s
05-03-08, 16:17
What is this "better field of view" business? With both eyes open as they should be the field of view is the same for both optics.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-03-08, 21:27
What is this "better field of view" business? With both eyes open as they should be the field of view is the same for both optics.

It should be, and if you can overcome the "distraction" of the tube, then yes it is. But many do notice the Aimpoint's tube when shooting both eyes open, its very subjective and shouldn't be a factor at all, but in some ways it does present itself. I don't see it as any reason to state the Eotech has better FOV, although the hood of the Eotech is less "distracting" than the tube/battery of the Aimpoint to some.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-03-08, 21:29

Hehehe, very funny!:D

But if what I've seen so far is any indication, the 511/551 models crap out more often. Most of the time, people run the batteries down on them and don't keep a spare set in the grip. I always have 2 AA's in my MIAD.

Steve
05-03-08, 22:42
OH my god i almost died here.

distraction of a tube vs distraction of a box... get a grip

if you are actually seeing those things while running the gun you have bigger issues...

I have and own a 553 552 557 and have had several others i have tested. with guys from L3

I have AP M4 m3 m3 t-1 etc...

rob_s
05-04-08, 07:17
The "distraction" issue reminds me of the "pixelation" issue; it exposes a lack of practical experience with the optic. Yes, sitting on my couch and sighting on the dog as she licks her ass on the floor the tube can be distracting or the Eotech reticule may appear pixelated. But when running and gunning, which is what these things are for, if you're still seeing either one then you're doing it wrong.

It's right up there with "the front sight is distracting me".

BushmasterFanBoy
05-04-08, 18:26
The "distraction" issue reminds me of the "pixelation" issue; it exposes a lack of practical experience with the optic. Yes, sitting on my couch and sighting on the dog as she licks her ass on the floor the tube can be distracting or the Eotech reticule may appear pixelated. But when running and gunning, which is what these things are for, if you're still seeing either one then you're doing it wrong.

It's right up there with "the front sight is distracting me".

Bingo. Couldn't agree more.

HolyRoller
05-05-08, 08:39
... sitting on my couch and sighting on the dog as she licks her ass on the floor ...

:eek: Is nothing sacred? :mad:

NCPatrolAR
05-05-08, 22:58
While I have had 0 problems with my 551 and a few problems with an assortment of Aimpoints; I'd go with the Aimpoint. Easier for me to use and I know the source of the problems with the Aimpoints and how to avoid them now.

b_saan
05-06-08, 01:42
I was going back and forth on which to get for my N4 as well, then the gun shop had a ridiculous sale on ACOGs this weekend and now I have a new Trijicon TA11 sitting in it's box next to my range bag waiting for a Larue mount from Grant.

ra2bach
05-06-08, 08:31
Aimpoint, flat out, hands down.

I have used a few different optics in theater, and there are precious few that can withstand the reality of armed conflict. There is a lot more to war than just shooting, and a lot of damage is dished out over extended periods of time.

While the EoTech may provide slightly faster close-range engagement times to some over the M3, it is not truly a "combat" caipable optic. Dedicated CQB? - sure, but not full-spectrum.

I do own EoTechs, and have more than a little time behind them. If the design could be reworked to provide half the battery life and durability of an Aimpoint, I would love them. But they don't.

The auto-shutoff is a non-starter for combat use. Combat doesn't routinely occur in 8 hour increments. That means that at some time, without your knowledge, your reticle is going to disappear. Will it happen after you get back to the FOB? Maybe while you are sleeping? Maybe ten seconds before a gunfight starts, or ten seconds after? Hell, maybe you already went through the miniscule battery life, and no matter how many times you mash the buttons, it ain't coming back to life.

I am also no fan of the mounting hardware. While many issues are due to user error, many are not.

The Aimpoint is always on. Change the battery every enlistment and it will be fine. While the QRP mount is not the best, it is adequate, and the offerings from LaRue are bomb-proof. The intensity knob is intuitive and reflexive. FOV is a non-issue with 2-eyed technique.

Try fitting the optic, a magnifier, and a BUIS to your gun. Another nod to Aimpoint.

But that's just me.

that right there is the most common sense summation of the difference I have heard yet - it makes sense in a way that's understandable to me.

the Aimpoint is a battle proven optic. and while it's strengths are durability, battery life, etc., it's not perfect for all uses.

the Eotech is a great optic for CQB in a less hostile environment though it doesn't seem to have the strengths of the Aimpoint. I'm thinking it might excel at police or home defense use, or where there is not the need for sustained exposure in a harsh environment. it probably won't go down in a single engagement and in a "civilian" environment, removal and replacement or repair would not be the critical issue as it would be on a battle field.

to me, that sums it up nicely. well done...

Boss Hogg
05-06-08, 16:06
I see plenty of EOTech bashing on gun forums, but I'd like to ask why- if Aimpoint is so much better- do Kyle Lamb and Mike Pannone use EOTechs?

Aimpoints are no doubt great sights, but the switch in my Comp M went bad. They were good about fixing it, but it took 3-4 weeks to get the optic back. They ship them back to Sweden for repair.

I will put my new ML3 2moa and 512 through the wringer in a few weeks and see which works better for me.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-06-08, 18:34
I see plenty of EOTech bashing on gun forums, but I'd like to ask why- if Aimpoint is so much better- do Kyle Lamb and Mike Pannone use EOTechs?

Aimpoints are no doubt great sights, but the switch in my Comp M went bad. They were good about fixing it, but it took 3-4 weeks to get the optic back. They ship them back to Sweden for repair.

I will put my new ML3 2moa and 512 through the wringer in a few weeks and see which works better for me.

As much bashing as goes on here and on other sights, it boils down to personal preference. Some people find the Eotech reticule and windowed sight housing to be advantageous enough to compromise on reliability. Others see the Aimpoint as being ultra reliable, either disliking the Eotech reticule for being "too complex" or seeing the reliability of an Aimpoint worth the single dot reticule. I think a good many of the Aimpoint fans are already dispositioned against the Eotech because of its only "positive" feature, its reticule, and thus the choice is virtually made for them. Others, like myself, keep both, as I prefer the Eotech Reticule enough to mount one on my go to gun.

IMHO, it comes down to the reticule. If you like the Eotech reticule, use that. If you for some reason like a single dot, buy an Aimpoint. If you are on the fence, try both, buy whichever gives you an edge. I will say this, the only reason to buy Eotech is for the reticule.

This isn't rocket science folks. Use what you like, but know if you choose Eotech, sometimes reliability is compromised, and for many choosing Aimpoint means speed and accuracy are compromised. Compromise in whichever direction you want and be happy with your choice.

ra2bach
05-06-08, 19:55
As much bashing as goes on here and on other sights, it boils down to personal preference. Some people find the Eotech reticule and windowed sight housing to be advantageous enough to compromise on reliability. Others see the Aimpoint as being ultra reliable, either disliking the Eotech reticule for being "too complex" or seeing the reliability of an Aimpoint worth the single dot reticule. I think a good many of the Aimpoint fans are already dispositioned against the Eotech because of its only "positive" feature, its reticule, and thus the choice is virtually made for them. Others, like myself, keep both, as I prefer the Eotech Reticule enough to mount one on my go to gun.

IMHO, it comes down to the reticule. If you like the Eotech reticule, use that. If you for some reason like a single dot, buy an Aimpoint. If you are on the fence, try both, buy whichever gives you an edge. I will say this, the only reason to buy Eotech is for the reticule.

This isn't rocket science folks. Use what you like, but know if you choose Eotech, sometimes reliability is compromised, and for many choosing Aimpoint means speed and accuracy are compromised. Compromise in whichever direction you want and be happy with your choice.

interesting. but I have a question - by reticle, do you mean only the lit part, or dot, or do you include the entire sight picture.

it is my understanding that the Eotech has a somewhat more open FOV and is seen as a plus by those who don't care for the comparably restricted view afforded by the Aimpoint.

M4Guru
05-06-08, 20:00
Aimpoint/Eotech FOV and Fine Motor Skills...what a week!:D

BushmasterFanBoy
05-06-08, 20:17
interesting. but I have a question - by reticle, do you mean only the lit part, or dot, or do you include the entire sight picture.

it is my understanding that the Eotech has a somewhat more open FOV and is seen as a plus by those who don't care for the comparably restricted view afforded by the Aimpoint.

For some, the Aimpoint tube can "limit" your "FOV" even when using both eyes. This is something of a myth, as it really shouldn't at all. To be more accurate, the tube housing can be more "distracting". The Eotech's reticule, as well as its position of all interfering battery housing and adjustment buttons underneath the FOV can lead to some saying the Eotech is faster. I tend to lean this way, but in all honesty, under any amount of stress, the last thing your eyes will notice is the Aimpoint battery housing.

By reticule, I mean the 65 MOA ring with 1 MOA center. Its great for moving targets, close targets, and distance targets. Basically everything. You have something of a tool set within the reticule itself. In close distances, instead of taking time to "find" and place a 2 or 4 MOA dot on target, you put the ring on target and shoot. With the 1 MOA dot, you make distance shots easier, and the ring allows you to precisely lead a target with a known reference point.

grappler
05-06-08, 22:39
First off, as Bushmaster stated, personal preferance is key. But you asked in a combat situation... -->>

During my time in the sandbox I noticed that on personal weapons, M4A1, the two optics that I saw the most were Aimpoints and ACOGs(BAC types, some running J-Points/Dr. Optics)

EOTechs were widely used on Automatic Weapons a lot and mounted guns on the gun-trucks used EOTechs for the 65 MOA capabilities.

One optic that I never saw was the Trijicon Reflex sight...

Combat Situations--Things to think about...
Battery Life
Durability
Reliability

Other thing to think about...
The CDI Factor:D

grappler
05-06-08, 23:18
Another option...

Run an ACOG with Doc Optics or like the SEAL I saw. Run an ACOG as the primary sight, with an EOTech at the 3o'clock position on the KAC rails. <<--Best of both worlds.:D

OK, OK...

In all seriousness. I have an EOTech on my work weapon and an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on my home/self defense weapon. I prefer the Aimpoint.

RojasTKD
05-07-08, 00:28
Well, I keeping my EOTech 553 on my 6920, but have been convinced to pickup an Aimpoint for my future AR. Unfortunately this is likely to take a while, as I'm very poor at this time. :(

Failure2Stop
05-07-08, 14:47
This thread has been bothering me. Way more than the average Aimpoint vs EoTech vs ACOG vs BSA type thread.

Why? One single little word.
"Combat"

I don't know the OPs reason for asking what would be preferred in an actual war zone. It really doesn't matter. What does matter is what could come out of this thread.

If you were sending a loved one into armed conflict, what would you want them to be carrying?

An optic with known and recorded issues with keeping it's much vaunted reticle visable or one that is on for years constantly? One that has been recalled by the forces using them, or one that has held it's position for over a decade in every clime and place? The one that is loved by hobbyists, or the one that is loved by the combat veterans and industry professionals?

Also, far too much lip service is paid to speed. The speed at which one can engage multiple non-shooting cardboard targets or steel plates is irrelevant. If you are 10 meters or less from more than two armed hostiles you will probably lose the gunfight. Unless you can hit T-boxes at the speed Todd Jarrett can shoot an El Pres, you are going to get shot. How fast you can shoot six head-plates, while a good standard evaluation of marksmanship, is irrelevant when it comes to shooting other people.

While personal preference may be the selection criteria for most people, there are some users that should that reticle turn off, someone will pay the ultimate penalty. Someone may be counting on that high percentage hit.

I apologise for my soap-boxing, but once the topic changes from "What's subjectively the bestest 1X optic" to actual warfare, it is more than philosophical to me.

Shihan
05-07-08, 15:11
Well, I keeping my EOTech 553 on my 6920, but have been convinced to pickup an Aimpoint for my future AR. Unfortunately this is likely to take a while, as I'm very poor at this time. :(

You do know they did a mil recall on the 553's? I would get ahold of Eotech and make sure your GTG.

RojasTKD
05-07-08, 15:37
You do know they did a mil recall on the 553's? I would get ahold of Eotech and make sure your GTG.

Thanks where can I find more info about this?

Shihan
05-07-08, 18:47
Thanks where can I find more info about this?

Here ya go but dont give yourself too much of a headache reading it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=369513