PDA

View Full Version : looking for simple 12 gauge double

jmoore
05-01-08, 16:21
Prefer a coach gun type double with 2x triggers - though single is OK. Prefer one with ejectors and a tang safety that does NOT reset every time the action is broken open. Nickel plated would be iceing on the cake!!!

Inexpensive but not "cheap" - if you get my drift:)

TIA

jm

williejc
05-02-08, 21:52
Check out Stoeger doubles, which are offered in coach length with double triggers and choke tubes and even nickel finish. In Central Texas, they cost under $400 new. I suggest the light and handy 20 ga. Coach Gun with 3 inch buckshot. Quality is very good, and these guns also look nice. Beretta owns Stoeger.

They have extractors. Going to a double with ejectors will put you in the big money. Ejectors require hand fitting and extra machining on the receiver. They also can be fragile, and they are extremely noisy when one or both pops up. Stoeger doubles do have the auto safety that slides on during unbreeching. This feature is easily disabled.

I've owned a couple of the above and liked them. Because of light weight, they kick like hell--including the 20 ga.

The 12 ga. version with two modified choke tubes and low recoil buckshot will consistently shoot tight patterns at surprising distance, which I won't specify so as not to start a heated discussion. With one less ball and much lower pressure, the low recoil load exerts less distortion on the shot column, the result being elimination of out-of-round buckshot. So, you get a tight pattern. The improved cylinder tube is ok and may work better for slugs. The full choke tube is about useless, and maybe you can trade it for another modified one.

Williejc

Gutshot John
05-03-08, 08:38
Check out Stoeger doubles, which are offered in coach length with double triggers and choke tubes and even nickel finish. In Central Texas, they cost under $400 new. I suggest the light and handy 20 ga. Coach Gun with 3 inch buckshot. Quality is very good, and these guns also look nice. Beretta owns Stoeger.

Williejc

+1. Stoeger coach gun in 20ga. I picked up one a couple of months ago to supplement a defense handgun on the recommendation of a LEO friend who swears by them.

Also because they have no action, they're quite handy in close confined spaces.

For the price you can't beat it with a stick.

old grunt
07-02-08, 20:35
Where are they made?? Turkey? Russia? Or because Beretta is involved...Italy? as an aside does Savage still make the Stevens 311??:confused:

williejc
07-09-08, 23:11
The Stoeger doubles are made in South America--either Argentina or Brazil. Beretta's involement is a big plus. Savage 311's are no longer made. I love these old guns but believe that the Stoeger metallurgy and modern tooling have produced a stronger shotgun. Savage today is not the same company of a few years back. It's a progressive outfit with sound financial backing. The old company did have its heyday but eventually fell on hard times--like Ithaca, Hi-Standard, Harrison-Richardson, Iver-Johnson, Noble, and a host of others.

Get a Stoeger and run!

Williejc

HeadHunter
07-10-08, 07:29
While I like my 311, it has a characteristic I don't care for. There is a small cam that activates the extractors. It is a separate piece when you disassemble the gun. So when you travel with a 311 broken down you have 4 pieces; the barrels, the forend, the action/stock, and this small cam. I always worry about that part getting misplaced.

The Stoeger breaks down into the large components only and I like that. I am inclined to think its metallurgy is better also.

Ed L.
07-10-08, 13:37
I think you are better off with a single trigger that you pull once to fire each barrel.

With the double trigger the front trigger has a tendency to bang into your trigger finger when you are firing the rear trigger.

LockenLoad
09-13-09, 21:07
I like my stevens have 2, but I now have a benelli m-4

f.2
09-14-09, 10:46
I got a Stevens 311-r (riot?, LE model anyway I think) 18.5" (or 18.25") barreled 12GA sxs for $300 and change. Perfect LOP with the generous stock ventilated recoil pad. Other 311 models come with 20 plus inch bbls. Smooth shooting and points well.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4049/311r.th.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/i/311r.jpg/)

Zhurdan
09-14-09, 11:03
I think you are better off with a single trigger that you pull once to fire each barrel.

With the double trigger the front trigger has a tendency to bang into your trigger finger when you are firing the rear trigger.

I used to do Cowboy action shooting quite a bit and could fire a two trigger setup damn fast without this issue. You simply fire the rear one first with your middle finger while pushing your index against the inside of the trigger guard until you're ready to fire that one.

Coach guns are handy, fun to shoot, and the wife likes it, but I doubt I'll be using it as a defense gun anytime soon.