PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Bipod Review

Quiet Riot
10-25-13, 04:37
I've been using the Atlas bipod with the ADM mount for about two months, and I'm glad I went with it.

The thing that surprises most people is how light these really are. They are well-built and beefy-looking, but an Atlas with the ADM mount weighs *less* than a stock Harris BRS, and that's even without adding a QD pan mount to the Harris.

These do take a little longer to deploy than a Harris because the legs aren't spring loaded. This can be an issue in something like a 3-gun match where a few seconds are significant, but it really isn't even a consideration for most types of shooting.

Though the Harris bipods are time tested, the Atlas has shown itself to be worth the premium for the kind of shooting I like to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-9tzaaHXI

T2C
10-25-13, 06:29
I have been using a Harris bipod for a few years and have been considering the Atlas as an alternative.

The square flat feet appear to be more stable than the rounded rubber feet on my Harris bipod. If I did want rubber on the bottom of flat bipod feet, it would be easy to glue flat pieces of rubber on them.

Where did you purchase your Atlas bipod?

Quiet Riot
10-25-13, 07:05
I got it directly from B&T. You don't really see them discounted anywhere. Interestingly enough, B&T just announced yesterday that LaRue is now selling them with their QD mount for the same price as the ADM version.

dcnyli
11-05-13, 05:54
thank you for the review, I was curious about Atlas for my next build..

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-05-13, 11:47
I agree on the speed to deploy. I think the major advantage for most applications is that it seems to take pre-load as I lean into the rifle a bot better than the Harris bipods. That little bit of play with the ball mount.

lifebreath
11-05-13, 16:52
I've got both and definitely prefer the Atlas. It loads better and you can angle the legs forward or aft if needed. Also, you can fold the legs all the way forward or back when not using. I usually like to store them back, which can't be done with the Harris.

HMM
11-11-13, 19:50
I picked up both mine from mile high shooting. They are real nice, I'm very happy with them - I especially like all the options you have with them.

wilsoncombatrep
11-13-13, 21:48
I've tried a lot of bipods( Harris, SAKO, VersaPod, Vltor), and have settle on the Atlas as my fav. I have a couple of Altas' with ADM QD clamps, and move them from rifle to rifle with ease. Light weight, very adjustable, easily removed. I find it the most easily employed, and all around most useful bipod I have experienced. YMMV.

tylerw02
11-14-13, 09:59
I like my Atlas. I've used those and Harris BRM-S in a qd-mount. I've found the Harris tends to work better for precision rifle matches with short time limits. However, without time constraints, the Atlas is much better for setting up a good position, especially when you're being forced into a confined shooting space. It also loads much more nicely. Its a hit!

taliv
11-14-13, 10:11
i bought an atlas because i thought it would track better on movers, but i was disappointed. I can't seem to take out enough tension for it to pan smoothly; the legs want to hop around instead. i like the atlas, but i'm sticking with harris brm-s especially for the price difference

CC556
11-14-13, 12:40
i bought an atlas because i thought it would track better on movers, but i was disappointed. I can't seem to take out enough tension for it to pan smoothly; the legs want to hop around instead. i like the atlas, but i'm sticking with harris brm-s especially for the price difference

I've made an interesting observation... on the internet the Atlas gets the nod by an enormous margin any time someone asks which bipod to get. In my own experience at matches though I see far more Harris bipods than one might expect given the overwhelming opinion that the Atlas is the one to buy. Also, if we look at an instance like the '13 SH Cup where the AAR thread lists some equipment we see that shooters finishing 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th are all using Harris bipods. Shooters finishing 2nd and 5th didn't reply to the thread and list equipment. So what's with the seeming discrepancy between what we see recommended on the internet vs. what we see show up in matches and in the winners' circle? I don't imagine the cost is a significant factor since it's hardly even a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the rifle and gear.

Personally I use a Harris because I've never felt that it has held me back. I did try an Atlas that a buddy loaned me for a few months and while I liked it just fine I really didn't feel like it benefited my shooting in a way the Harris couldn't.

taliv
11-14-13, 14:00
heh, make that observation on a different forum and within minutes it would look like somebody popped an arch duke

i have to say though, the atlas does look really cool, especially on a sentinel stock

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-15-13, 09:43
I've made an interesting observation... on the internet the Atlas gets the nod by an enormous margin any time someone asks which bipod to get. In my own experience at matches though I see far more Harris bipods than one might expect given the overwhelming opinion that the Atlas is the one to buy. Also, if we look at an instance like the '13 SH Cup where the AAR thread lists some equipment we see that shooters finishing 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th are all using Harris bipods. Shooters finishing 2nd and 5th didn't reply to the thread and list equipment. So what's with the seeming discrepancy between what we see recommended on the internet vs. what we see show up in matches and in the winners' circle? I don't imagine the cost is a significant factor since it's hardly even a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the rifle and gear.

Personally I use a Harris because I've never felt that it has held me back. I did try an Atlas that a buddy loaned me for a few months and while I liked it just fine I really didn't feel like it benefited my shooting in a way the Harris couldn't.

It does seem to get near cult status over on the other site. They are nice bipods, but they are not light years away from the Harris products, and my God is the Atlas expensive.

Saying that it isn't better and talking about bipod 'hop' is a sure way to tweak some people...

JustG45
01-17-14, 17:23
Love my Atlas, worth every penny.

Great Review

HKGuns
01-17-14, 18:41
I guess I'm one of those Harris guys you see at the range. I'll spend my extra dollars on better rifles and more ammo or reloading supplies. Not worth the price difference to me and I don't mind spending money on good stuff.

Good review.

JustG45
01-17-14, 19:07
I guess I'm one of those Harris guys you see at the range. I'll spend my extra dollars on better rifles and more ammo or reloading supplies. Not worth the price difference to me and I don't mind spending money on good stuff.

Good review.

For bench shooting, Harris is a no brainer. For more "tactical" shooting, the atlas shines with the addition features and adjustability.

That being said, I switch between the two :)

1slow01Z71
01-20-14, 13:24
For bench shooting, Harris is a no brainer. For more "tactical" shooting, the atlas shines with the addition features and adjustability.

That being said, I switch between the two :)

How do you figure? Its actually just the opposite. Like CC said, at actual tactical matches the harris is very popular. For bench work where you have plenty of time to set up I can see some merit to the atlas. Then again I use harris bipods because I've never had a peoblem with them and they work great at 1/3 of the cost. The atlas is a bling status symbol as far as I'm concerned. The 6-9 harris with notched legs, swivel and a pod loc do everything you could need. The rest is just an attempt to justify the purchase as the proof is in the pudding of what the pros use.

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 14:39

The only reason the harris is favored for match shooting is the quicker deployment. When Time counts, its MUCH quicker to deploy a harris than an atlas...... As far as everything else...... Atlas dominates the harris is every other way. Once you go atlas, you dont go back.

JustG45
01-20-14, 14:45
Atlas is bling? It's the most simplistic design in the market. I'm not a competition shooter but I suspect the "pros" use them for the fast deployment. I paid for the adjustability, the bombproof construction and the less weight/bulk.

CC556
01-20-14, 15:00
How do you figure? Its actually just the opposite. Like CC said, at actual tactical matches the harris is very popular. For bench work where you have plenty of time to set up I can see some merit to the atlas. Then again I use harris bipods because I've never had a peoblem with them and they work great at 1/3 of the cost. The atlas is a bling status symbol as far as I'm concerned. The 6-9 harris with notched legs, swivel and a pod loc do everything you could need. The rest is just an attempt to justify the purchase as the proof is in the pudding of what the pros use.
Exactly. It's hard to claim the Atlas is essentially a magic bipod and does everything better than the Harris, but the difference in speed of deployment alone is reason enough that nearly every top competitor still uses Harris. As I said before, the Atlas is a nice bipod and I liked the one I tried but it really didn't make me a better shooter and I'd bet that's the same conclusion these top shooters are coming to. In other words, it's less "this Atlas is amazing and does everything perfectly, but it's just too slow to deploy" and more "this Atlas is nice, but really doesn't do anything special for me, and it's not as fast as the Harris."

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 15:00
Atlas is bling? It's the most simplistic design in the market. I'm not a competition shooter but I suspect the "pros" use them for the fast deployment. I paid for the adjustability, the bombproof construction and the less weight/bulk.

I know right.... I dont know what the dude is talking about bench shooting..........Shoot on rocks, on the ground, off barriers, ect.............and the Atlas kicks ass...

Sounds like dude has never actualy used them, but feels confident commenting on them.

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 15:01
Double Tap

JustG45
01-20-14, 15:04
I know right.... I dont know what the dude is talking about bench shooting..........Shoot on rocks, on the ground, off barriers, ect.............and the Atlas kicks ass...

Sounds like dude has never actualy used them, but feels confident commenting on them.

Yeah buddy but the pros use them

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 15:40
Yeah buddy but the pros use them

It's a good thing we don't use 350lb slobs wearing stretchted out multicam playing gun games as our gear selection commitee.

CC556
01-20-14, 16:02
I find it humorous that you're trying to portray the Harris proponents as ignorant basement dwellers when the guys literally at the top of the sport are using that same equipment, and it's also in use in overwhelming numbers in LE and MIL circles. On the other hand, the trendy and fashionable Atlas can often be found in internet picture threads and in the crowd at matches watching the winners accept their prizes.

Now, that's not entirely fair since I openly admit the Atlas is a fine bipod but I think your attempts to cast aspersions on Harris proponents is totally disingenuous in light of the obvious fact that despite the Atlas' massive internet following we still see Harris bipods on winning match rifles and dominating the LEO/MIL scene too.

JustG45
01-20-14, 16:13
I find it humorous that you're trying to portray the Harris proponents as ignorant basement dwellers when the guys literally at the top of the sport are using that same equipment, and it's also in use in overwhelming numbers in LE and MIL circles......Harris bipods on winning match rifles and dominating the LEO/MIL scene too.

You are missing the point man...I do not know why you are bringing up pros, matches, military. You REALLY think it's the bipod that is making them "dominate?"

No one said Harris is bad so settle down.

Does this make you upset? http://i43.tinypic.com/2mgqbgh.jpg

CC556
01-20-14, 16:23
You are missing the point man...I do not know why you are bringing up pros, matches, military. You REALLY think it's the bipod that is making them "dominate?"

No one said Harris is bad so settle down.

Does this make you upset?

I'm simply providing a counter-opinion to the idea that the Atlas is so superior to the Harris in every way save for deployment speed. I understand that you bought a trendy $300 bipod for your rifle and the idea that a $100 bipod is actually the better unit elicits an emotional response, so I don't blame you for your disbelief. I wonder what leads you to believe the Atlas is the better bipod in light of the fact that top competitive shooters, LE, and MIL seem to overwhelmingly favor the Harris. To answer your question directly, no, I don't believe the Harris is the reason the pros keep winning. That's my point though. The Atlas and the Harris really aren't so different except for speed and price. Now that we're on the same page and agree that the bipod isn't the determining factor then how would you argue that the more expensive and slower bipod is the better choice?

And no, your rifle doesn't upset me. It looks like a nice beginner setup.

JustG45
01-20-14, 16:36
Oh lord. Trendy?

If you like your Harris, you can keep it.

CC556
01-20-14, 16:46
Oh lord. Trendy?

If you like your Harris, you can keep it.

Yeah, trendy, as in "the internet lovefest convinces people who don't know better to spend $300 on a bipod when they could have saved $200 and put that money towards something that really matters." Then those people go out and argue that their $300 bipod on their budget beginner rifle (sorry, I can't think of a less elitist way to say it) is a better choice than the bipod that the pros are using and winning with.

JustG45
01-20-14, 16:53
So you are saying atlas is trendy but your argument is all the pros are using the Harris? Hmmm maybe you should look up the definition of trend. You have never handled or shot off one have you? Or even watched this gentleman's fine review?

Leave me and my budget rifle alone, bully.

CC556
01-20-14, 16:58
So you are saying atlas is trendy but your argument is all the pros are using the Harris? Hmmm maybe you should look up the definition of trend. You have never handled or shot with one have you? Or even watched this gentleman's fine review?

Leave me and my budget rifle alone, bully.

Hahaha. You and your buddy above were happy to cast Harris fans as fat basement dwellers but now I'm the bully because I point out your obviously emotional response after hearing that your $300 bipod was an unnecessary expenditure. My use of the term trendy fits your case perfectly, you overspent on a bipod because other people on the internet told you it was so amazing. You didn't know any better. Now you've got an emotional reaction when that's pointed out. The only "trend" the Harris has going for it is a long and widespread history of success.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I used an Atlas for a few months when a buddy lent me one. It was a fine bipod, but didn't offer anything over a properly equipped Harris.

wake.joe
01-20-14, 17:05
Bipods are for bench shooters. Tripods get used when it counts.

With that said, great review and thankyou for the information.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

taliv
01-20-14, 17:39
dang dudes. it's just a bipod. not worth getting hot n bothered about

JustG45
01-20-14, 17:50
dang dudes. it's just a bipod. not worth getting hot n bothered about

He is just a jerk, buddy. I refuse to argue and personally attack others on a Internet forum

CleverNickname
01-20-14, 18:25
All the Atlas needs is someone to make a direct-mount Keymod mount for it. Atlas picatinny to picatinny rail section to Keymod has an extra step in there that isn't needed.

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 18:28
I don't know man.... Having the ability to take the atlas off quick is a real benefit.... Say you decide to shoot off a pack or tripod...... you can remove the atlas and throw it in the pack.

RHINOWSO
01-20-14, 19:11
I like the Atlas for a slimmer form factor, but the Harris does fine as well.

RHINOWSO
01-20-14, 19:11
All the Atlas needs is someone to make a direct-mount Keymod mount for it. Atlas picatinny to picatinny rail section to Keymod has an extra step in there that isn't needed.
Ah the Keymod mafia has already begun... ;)

1slow01Z71
01-20-14, 20:56
Poor JustG45 came in guns a blazing and said the exact opposite of what the bipods are being used for then quickly back peddles trying to find other reasons to justify his purchase. All that matters at the end of the day is that youre happy with your purchase. Isnt my money I dont care how you spend it. Just don't come on here with your internet BS about the harris being better for bench work and atlas for tactical when its the other way around. Go back to ARF where you can have your bipod orgy with all the other basement dwellers who only come out to take their tacticool pictures in thw front yard.

TurretGunner
01-20-14, 22:14
Poor JustG45 came in guns a blazing and said the exact opposite of what the bipods are being used for then quickly back peddles trying to find other reasons to justify his purchase. All that matters at the end of the day is that youre happy with your purchase. Isnt my money I dont care how you spend it. Just don't come on here with your internet BS about the harris being better for bench work and atlas for tactical when its the other way around. Go back to ARF where you can have your bipod orgy with all the other basement dwellers who only come out to take their tacticool pictures in thw front yard.

You need to chill out man. He did not attack you or insult you.

For what its worth, if you want to see what real long range shooters and snipers use......m4c is not the droids your looking for.

SeriousStudent
01-20-14, 22:38
Gents, they are bipods. Nobody said you had an ugly girlfriend, or that you were drinking something with a pink umbrella in the glass.

Ease off the gas pedal, folks. It will all be okay.

JustG45
01-20-14, 22:41
Wow slow.

And yes, you can use an atlas more tactically then a harris....the legs don't even lock.

Look I don't come on here to argue man. I'm going to leave it alone, just like you are going to. Feel free to pm me

tylerw02
01-20-14, 23:01
Yeah shooting a tactical match this past weekend there were as many Atlas as Harris. The best shooters were using the Atlas. I don't care what you use, but don't be some kind of know it all asshole, z71, because frankly you aren't the authority on the subject and sound like you're just trying to be a bully.

Atlas is much more versatile and is no means a "bench" rig, to argue otherwise is foolish. Do you actually own one? Bench shooters use big heavy tripod bench rests with sandbags.

I use the Atlas more anymore. I still have a Harris with me in case I'm going. To need a little speed. The reality is the Weibad bag is more important and gets used more anyway because matches these days you shoot more off barricades than in the prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk