PDA

View Full Version : Articles on hunting with 300 BLK

C-grunt
10-25-13, 09:49
My buddy is getting his 8 inch 300 BLK here in the next month or so. He read an article about hunting with it and now believes it's the be all end all medium game rifle.

I'm trying to find some articles about hunting with it that might bring him down to reality. Especially since he has never hunted before and is wanting to use this as a mule deer rifle here in Az.

ra2bach
10-25-13, 12:58
can you hunt deer with a .30-30? sure. how about one with less power?..

Raven Armament
10-25-13, 13:44
It's .30-30 ballistics from an AR15. Use the .30-30's capability as a baseline. Inside 200y, it's enough for black bear on down. "Power" and kinetic energy aren't as important as what people make them out to be.

harm
10-25-13, 14:49
Out of an 8" barrel? Yikes. I'm actually sourcing the barrel for mine right now & am thinking 16-18" - that certainly offers better ballistics. Frankly I'm not sure it would be ballistically (accuracy/energy) viable past 100/150 yards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Javelin
10-25-13, 17:14
Out of an 8" barrel? Yikes. I'm actually sourcing the barrel for mine right now & am thinking 16-18" - that certainly offers better ballistics. Frankly I'm not sure it would be ballistically (accuracy/energy) viable past 100/150 yards.

The barrel length past 8" doesn't really yield huge benefits. The round really gets moving to speed in a relatively short amount of space.

C-grunt
10-25-13, 23:20
The problem isn't necessarily the power of the round. Here in Az most mule deer hunting isn't close range like deer hunting in other areas. Plus my buddy is a completely novice hunter. I'm no professional hunter by any means but I don't think a rifle that is less powerful than a 30-30 to be the best open country mule deer gun.

Raven Armament
10-25-13, 23:33
A cartridge other than the 300 BLK will not make up for the lack of the hunter's skill or marksmanship.

harm
10-26-13, 01:49
There is some truth to Arizona hunting is different than other states. I think too many people THINK they are hunters & end up taking shots from much to far away. Field work, dmarts & skill go further than caliber.