PDA

View Full Version : Seeking expert advice on issued Mk18 Block II rifles and Surefire weaponlights

Gray Ghost
10-26-13, 04:01
I'm in the process of building a Mk18 Block II upper as close to standard issue as I can possibly get.
To me it feels more like I'm restoring an old 1968 COPO Camaro and trying to track down original floormats and lugnuts as they came from the factory in '68. I'm in love with the hunt and the research.
I've already got a Gen 1 SOPMOD stock, 4-prong Surefire SOCOM-RC flashider (and can on the way), teardrop forward assist and all the other goodies like the FDE DD RIS II and KAC taupe front sight.
My question now was about a weaponlight.
I want to go with a Surefire M600C Scoutlight (or possibly an M620C if accurate) because these have been seen fielded by soldiers with these rifles overseas. However for only $20 more you can now purchase the M600 Ultra that's got 500 lumens.
Does anyone know if the M600C/620C is the only one that's seen use overseas so far? My assumption is the Ultra is simply too new to have been put into use or to have been photographed in the field.
I've got other AR's just to "shoot and enjoy" so if there's a proprietary, issued CQBR roll pin I want to have it :p
Thanks in advance for any responses.

DocBach
11-13-13, 22:40
VBL III is the Insight WMX-200. Better act soon because they just announced they won't be selling white lights anymore.

eaboecke
11-13-13, 22:50
Good riddance, the Insight lights are trash that don't belong on a service weapon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

scooter22
11-13-13, 23:41
deleted

JohnnyC
11-14-13, 00:38
If you're so bent on such accuracy that you're willing to track down every little thing, why would you deviate at all? Seems like a waste if you're putting in so much time then slapping a different (incorrect) light on it because it's "only $20 more?"

Bolt_Overide
11-14-13, 06:44
Seems kinda fanboyish to me, building a mk18 isnt going to make a Budweiser appear on your ass cheek.

munch520
11-14-13, 07:41
With the lights available on the market now, why limit yourself based on 'clone authenticity'?

alphableak83
11-14-13, 16:52
If you're so bent on such accuracy that you're willing to track down every little thing, why would you deviate at all? Seems like a waste if you're putting in so much time then slapping a different (incorrect) light on it because it's "only $20 more?"
There really is no "incorrect" light. If you understand the units that use the mk18 then you would realize that, Somebody somewhere in these units has/is using/used every light known to mankind. So pick a light you want and rest assured somebody has used it and quite possibly the last thing a bad person has seen.

Gray Ghost
11-22-13, 01:49

Well that was my question, was wondering if the M600U is fielded and would be correct. If not, I'll buy an M600C.

Seems kinda fanboyish to me, building a mk18 isnt going to make a Budweiser appear on your ass cheek.

Not trying to pretend to be a SEAL or anything... :rolleyes: I'm just fascinated with their weapons and "the hunt" for hard to find parts. Like I said I've already got rifles that are suited for my own individual needs already. Right now I'm just interested in building a stock Mk18 Block II rifle as it'd be issued and appear in the field (minus the M4 lower receiver).

There really is no "incorrect" light. If you understand the units that use the mk18 then you would realize that, Somebody somewhere in these units has/is using/used every light known to mankind. So pick a light you want and rest assured somebody has used it and quite possibly the last thing a bad person has seen.

Very true. As I said in my original post my hunch is pics of guys overseas using M600U's probably just haven't trickled out on the web yet. Naturally these guys would have the latest and greatest so maybe I already answered my own question. Was just looking for documented proof they have them like a photo or first-hand account.

munch520
11-22-13, 09:09
Just by the right light for the job.

AR15.com has tons of clone discussions

Armati
11-22-13, 21:29

This is the answer. If the light was on the market at the time then there is a good chance it was being used. Try to find an old ADS catalog from that period.

alphableak83
11-22-13, 22:13
If you are curious about the m600 line they are currently being used. If you look hard enough you can find some pics. Any other lights you are considering?

JohnnyC
11-23-13, 01:57

I totally misunderstand who's using these, sure. That's gotta be it. :(

You've proven my point however. Not every Mk18 has a tear drop forward assist because some armorer somewhere along the line replaced it with a round one. Not every Mk18 has a Surefire FH because some guys are using the KAC M4QD cans. Hell I've seen Mk18's without the KAC sights and just a PEQ-15 on the rail out front. The point is that even now with the Block II's, they're still being used and maintained by guys that are using parts that are available, and as such, there's not real "correct" iteration of the gun, so trying to nail down this "roll pin accuracy" level is sort of a pointless endeavor.

My misunderstanding is why someone would go to such great lengths to make something as authentic as possible (if that's even the case with these guns) and then go, "but I'll put this on because it's better?" There's nothing really "authentic" about these guns other than the 10.3" barrel, DD rail, and KAC sights. So I guess my real question is, what's the point? Build a gun with those main components and whatever other goodies you want are going to be as authentic as anything (ok, within reason).

Gray Ghost
11-23-13, 23:23
If you are curious about the m600 line they are currently being used. If you look hard enough you can find some pics. Any other lights you are considering?

I've seen pics of the M600C in use but not the M600U, yet. Which is why I was asking.

I totally misunderstand who's using these, sure. That's gotta be it. :(

You've proven my point however. Not every Mk18 has a tear drop forward assist because some armorer somewhere along the line replaced it with a round one. Not every Mk18 has a Surefire FH because some guys are using the KAC M4QD cans. Hell I've seen Mk18's without the KAC sights and just a PEQ-15 on the rail out front. The point is that even now with the Block II's, they're still being used and maintained by guys that are using parts that are available, and as such, there's not real "correct" iteration of the gun, so trying to nail down this "roll pin accuracy" level is sort of a pointless endeavor.

My misunderstanding is why someone would go to such great lengths to make something as authentic as possible (if that's even the case with these guns) and then go, "but I'll put this on because it's better?" There's nothing really "authentic" about these guns other than the 10.3" barrel, DD rail, and KAC sights. So I guess my real question is, what's the point? Build a gun with those main components and whatever other goodies you want are going to be as authentic as anything (ok, within reason).

Its a project build for me. I like the challenge, it keeps me busy and gives me something to do. Like the retro AR-15 guys. If you don't get it that's fine, its my project. Just trying to collect parts that have been documented as being used "in the wild". I understand anything and everything can appear on these rifles but because of the nature of my build I'm looking for parts that have been photographed in use or verified by a first-hand account.

TacMedic556
11-28-13, 23:18
I happen to be putting together a similar gun. Not for fanboy reasons but because it seems to be a proven configuration for being as short as one can go and still have an effective platform. So far it is a DD MK18 upper, that will be on a Colt lower. Other parts I have are LMT stock gen II, KAC sights front being 99051T, Geiselle ssa. I plan on painting the gun so didn't care rail was black. I believe the DD offers a superior barrel than the standard Colt IMO.

Where did you hear the forward assist was tear drop? I have seen them with both.

Mine is more a block II setup.

NongShim
12-02-13, 02:19
VBL III is the Insight WMX-200. Better act soon because they just announced they won't be selling white lights anymore.

This is the current light. It's light years ahead of all the other Insight lights of the past.

ClearedHot
12-05-13, 00:31
This is the current light. It's light years ahead of all the other Insight lights of the past.

Given the choice, would you rather run the Insight WMX200 or a Surefire M620V scout light?

skt4271
12-27-13, 01:50
If you want a real deal clone, you should have started with a registered lower. Until then, your clone will never be complete.