PDA

View Full Version : New member, just bought my first 2 AR's

letterQ
10-26-13, 07:07
Hello,

I am new to the forum, but have been reading for quite some time.

I recently purchased my first AR's. first I got a SW MP15 ORC then decided to get a Colt LE6920.

New to the AR platform but not new to firearms in general (I was mostly shooting AK's) I have shot Ar's numerous times but haven't owned my own until fairly recently.

Hoping I can learn a ton more about my rifles from this site. SO far I have put about 500rd through each rifle and am pleased with both, but I prefer the Colt.

Cheers!

LetterQ

Ryno12
10-26-13, 07:32
Greetings. There is a New Members sub forum for introductions like this.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8796

Sent via Tapatalk

BCSD_405
10-26-13, 07:35
Congrats on your new purchases. Just as you, I am new to the forum but have been reading it for quite some time. Judging by the brands you purchased, you've done your homework.

letterQ
10-26-13, 07:57
Can I move the thread somehow?

Ryno12
10-26-13, 07:59

No, a Mod will do it. If you notice it missing, that's likely where it went.

Sent via Tapatalk

letterQ
10-26-13, 08:00
Thanks, I sure thats in a sticky somewhere.

hank_612
10-26-13, 09:02
What optic are you planning on for the orc

MistWolf
10-26-13, 12:29

There's a https://www.m4carbine.net/nual/buttons/report.gif in the upper R/H corner of your post. You could click on it and report your thread as needing to be moved to the intro sub-forum and ask if the mods can make it so.

Welcome

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 14:09
Sometimes it's nice to take a break from mercilessly crushing evildoers, and move a thread for folks. ;)

letterQ, welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great info in the stickies. Reading them will definitely help you save time and money.

Moved the thread the new shooters forum as mentioned earlier.

Ryno12
10-26-13, 14:28
Sometimes it's nice to take a break from mercilessly crushing evildoers, and move a thread for folks. ;)

letterQ, welcome to the forum. There is a ton of great info in the stickies. Reading them will definitely help you save time and money.

Moved the thread the new shooters forum as mentioned earlier.

Took you long enough. Must've had a lot of ball crushing going on. :p

Actually, I don't think he's new to shooting, just ARs. I believe his OP was more of an introduction to the site.

Sent via Tapatalk

Abraham
10-26-13, 14:29
I'm curious why you prefer the Colt over the SW MP15 ORC?

BTW, I own 2 LE6920's, but have no experience with shooting any other AR, so I don't have any comparisons to make.

Thanks!

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 15:17
Took you long enough. Must've had a lot of ball crushing going on. :p

Actually, I don't think he's new to shooting, just ARs. I believe his OP was more of an introduction to the site.

Sent via Tapatalk

There's a pile of thinned testicles large enough to make grown men weep.

letterQ
10-26-13, 18:37
Thanks for the welcome guys,

I am new to the AR platform but not firearms in general

I plan to put an Eotech 512 on the SW Orc.

letterQ
10-26-13, 18:40
I'm curious why you prefer the Colt over the SW MP15 ORC?

BTW, I own 2 LE6920's, but have no experience with shooting any other AR, so I don't have any comparisons to make.

Thanks!

Well if we are talking straight out of the box, the colt has the bigger handguard, comes with mbus rear sight.

1:7 barrel vs 1:9 for heavier projectiles.

If you plan to shoot 55g go with the sw in 1:9

My colt shoots like a dream but so does the sw

Both are tip top.

Ryno12
10-26-13, 18:49
Thanks for the welcome guys,

I am new to the AR platform but not firearms in general

I plan to put an Eotech 512 on the SW Orc.

Yeah, the mod moved this to the newb forum instead of the intro thread. Forgive him, he's from Texas & sometimes you have to speak slowly. :D

As far as your optic choice, read up about the EOTechs in the Optic forum. You may want to check out the EXPS or XPS models instead of a 500 series. Enjoy & good luck.

Sent via Tapatalk

letterQ
10-27-13, 05:09
For the life of me I still can't tell why I like the colt more than the sw, there is something about it that feels more solid that I cant put my finger on.

They are almost identical minus the handguard and front sight, but the Colt just feels "right"

Double3
10-27-13, 07:55
For the life of me I still can't tell why I like the colt more than the sw, there is something about it that feels more solid that I cant put my finger on.

They are almost identical minus the handguard and front sight, but the Colt just feels "right"

Cause it is right... :D

The 6920 is referred to as the "standard" for a reason.

Nice pick up.

Abraham
10-27-13, 09:20
letterQ,

Thank you for the response.

Currently, I'm only shooting the LE 6920 Magpul configuration and I love it.

Before you put an optic on it, have a look through a scope with magnification. My neighbor has an Eotech red dot on his AR with, of course, no magnification and I have a 1-4 power mounted on mine. He looked though mine and said he was going to get a scope with magnification.

Food for thought...

Ryno12
10-27-13, 09:26
letterQ,

Before you put an optic on it, have a look through a scope with magnification. My neighbor has an Eotech red dot on his AR with, of course, no magnification and I have a 1-4 power mounted on mine. He looked though mine and said he was going to get a scope with magnification.

Food for thought...

That's what the 3x magnifiers are for.

Sent via Tapatalk

Airhasz
10-27-13, 14:44
letterQ,

Food for thought...

OP, it seems lots of shooters are trading their Aimpoints & Eotechs for 1-4x or 1-6x variable scopes on their AR's. Think about looking at a variable scope yourself or maybe get a great deal on someone elses red dot that they are now selling. A used aimpoint pro should work fine as they are really built well with a life time guarantee. Read some of the optic threads and enjoy your new rifles.

letterQ
10-27-13, 19:01
I do have a mark ar variable scope that I use on the smith.

letterQ
10-28-13, 03:56
Here are some pictures of the rifles Colt LE6920 on top, SW MP15 ORC on bottom.

And a pony.

rock1905
03-06-14, 15:31
So I debated between the Colt LE6920 and the S&W M&P 15 for a long time. I would say that 80% of people recommended the Colt over the M&P.

To make a long story short, I ended up getting a good deal on an M&P 15T so I went with it. Given you have had a chance to shoot both... care to provide some feedback what you do and dont like between each of them.

BTW: I am new to the forum also