PDA

View Full Version : Info Request: Makhaira Group (Denver Area)

ST911
10-26-13, 11:26
Anyone have any experience, or credible information from others, regarding the training available from the Makhaira Group? I don't see a reference to them here at M4C or any AARs to refer to. Thanks.

Website here: http://www.makhairagroup.com/

NCPatrolAR
10-26-13, 16:02
http://www.hivizsights.com/prostaff-mark-hotaling

KiloDelta
02-19-14, 00:13
Anyone have any experience, or credible information from others, regarding the training available from the Makhaira Group? I don't see a reference to them here at M4C or any AARs to refer to. Thanks.

Website here: http://www.makhairagroup.com/

I train with these guys. They are the real deal, and come with real world experience.

jmk
02-19-14, 00:26
I train with these guys. They are the real deal, and come with real world experience.

+1

Round counts are low. Learning is high.

If you have training or any pro experience, ask to credential out of level 1 classes (which probably goes for most places).

ST911
02-19-14, 10:30

+1 Round counts are low. Learning is high. If you have training or any pro experience, ask to credential out of level 1 classes (which probably goes for most places).

Please, share more. Do you have any AARs? What did you take? Instructional quality? Class organization, time management, safety, info currency? Problem resolution? Etc...

jwdeeming
02-19-14, 11:55
No experience but I've met Mark Hotaling - a stand up guy if I've ever met one. If I were looking for this type of training this is where I'd go first.

jmk
02-19-14, 20:18
Please, share more. Do you have any AARs? What did you take? Instructional quality? Class organization, time management, safety, info currency? Problem resolution? Etc...

I don't have any formal AAR's to share, but here's some answers to the questions:

I live within an hour's drive of their main training sites in the Ft. Collins area (a mixture of indoor and outdoor private ranges), so it is convenient to take classes from them.

I have taken several of their courses over the years: Pistol 1, 2; Carbine 1, 2; Gun Fighting (level 3 course), Shotgun, and Low Light Pistol.

They have considerably expanded their course selection over the last year or so, and brought on additional instructor cadre.

The courses are mainly one-day affairs. there is always class room instruction at the beginning of the course, with the "101" levels having about half class, half range time. The "301" level courses have perhaps an hour of class, with most instruction imparted during range time.

The instructors have very good credentials: http://www.makhairagroup.com/about.htm

Instructional tone is extremely even and professional. If you're looking for Pat McNamara "Get Some!" style, you've got the wrong operators (I dig both, just know Makhaira's style is not flamboyant).

Students are never belittled or berated (well, except for the Marines...), and questions are always answered fairly and directly.

A good number of anecdotes, usually from the instructor's first hand experience, are usually presented at appropriate times and keep interest going.

Classroom instruction is always accompanied with hard copy decks, which are well written with appropriate amounts of diagrams, images and videos. Supplemental documentation that is too detailed to cover in class is also supplied. Always germane to the course and valuable add-on perspective.

There is always a legal review, and the perspective of use-of-force in civilian situations is emphasized.

There are frequent time checks throughout the course to stay on schedule. Lecture time is always promptly concluded, and range time is usually extended.

Safety is well managed, with good instructor to student ratio, plus squadding when class size is large.

Range evolutions are diverse and have class-appropriate levels of difficulty and challenge, and there's usually some "fun" thrown in towards the end of the day.

Practicality of technique is emphasized, again supported by first-hand anecdotes on the "why" of the techniques.

Round counts are not high, usually only several hundred per class. Emphasis is on the technique rather than number of rounds. Mag changes are "enforced" with low numbers of rounds per mag, and practice, blank and empty cartridges are mixed into mags to induce malfs.

the shotgun course has an extensive breaching component, along with a good mixture of reactive targets that demonstrate the effect of various shotgun rounds.

Low light pistol is held in an indoor range with modern interactive targets. Smoke and shoot/no shoot targets are heavily used to increase the challenge.

In summary, it's a great training experience and I have no reservations about recommending them.

ST911
02-19-14, 22:00
I don't have any formal AAR's to share, but here's some answers to the questions:

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for.

KiloDelta
02-20-14, 10:20
Yes, that was very thorough and better written than I could have posted. Thanks for the detailed description that I can not muster.

The only other thing I would add is on safety. Mark has been known to send guys home early that "double tap" their rounds on a single round command. One guy blamed his rifle, Mark checked his weapon-found no problems and retired him early. This only happens after discussing why you follow commands, range saftey, weapon control, etc...

kerplode
03-31-14, 18:25
I've decided to place more focus on training this year, and based on what I read here, wanted to give Makhaira a trial. I attended Pistol 1 over the weekend and everything jmk said is spot on...It was a great experience. I will definitely train with Mark and the Makhaira crew again and would not hesitate to recommend them to others.

ST911
03-31-14, 18:28
I've decided to place more focus on training this year, and based on what I read here, wanted to give Makhaira a trial. I attended Pistol 1 over the weekend and everything jmk said is spot on...It was a great experience. I will definitely train with Mark and the Makhaira crew again and would not hesitate to recommend them to others.

Thanks for your contribution, kerplode. Please consider adding an AAR to the forum with further detail of your experience.

KiloDelta
05-03-14, 22:11
Thanks for your contribution, kerplode. Please consider adding an AAR to the forum with further detail of your experience.

Pardon my ignorance, but could you tell me what "AAR" is abriviated from?

ST911
05-03-14, 22:17
After Action Report

KiloDelta
05-04-14, 10:08
After Action Report

Ahh.... Thanks!

EricTheRed
03-13-15, 14:23
sorta necro....

but I took a course (basic carbine) with them a couple months ago. I'd echo everything jmk said above. I'd also add that we continued shooting well past the published stop time to get all the drills/rounds in. Wouldn't hesitate to take another class with them.

ST911
03-13-15, 14:51
sorta necro....

but I took a course (basic carbine) with them a couple months ago. I'd echo everything jmk said above. I'd also add that we continued shooting well past the published stop time to get all the drills/rounds in. Wouldn't hesitate to take another class with them.

Thank you for the update. Please consider adding an AAR to the training subforum.