PDA

View Full Version : Wheelgun friendly competition

Alpha Sierra
05-02-08, 05:12
Which is more wheelgun friendly, USPSA or IDPA? I'm talking mostly about course design and round count.

Robb Jensen
05-02-08, 05:47
Which is more wheelgun friendly, USPSA or IDPA? I'm talking mostly about course design and round count.

Both are wheelgun friendly.
32 rounds is max for a stage per USPSA rules.
18 rounds is max for a stage per IDPA rules.

Stage design is intended to test everyone, sure sometimes you'll have to do a 'standing reload'. In USPSA this occurs for guys shooting Production, SingleStack and Limited-10 and sometimes Limited as well. With time you'll be able to learn the stage breakdown and figure out the most efficient way to shoot it, where to reload which most of the time for me means on the move. In IDPA you're pretty much stuck with reloading behind cover per the IDPA rules.

Also check out ICORE (http://www.icore.org/).

Alpha Sierra
05-02-08, 18:00
Thanks.

No ICORE in my neck of the woods.

NetJunkie
05-02-08, 21:23
We have several revolver guys that shoot with us in USPSA and they do very well..some are just amazing. If you have both near you go and watch and compete. See what you like.

Alpha Sierra
05-03-08, 17:23
We have several revolver guys that shoot with us in USPSA and they do very well..some are just amazing. If you have both near you go and watch and compete. See what you like.

I'm an NRA prone rifle (mid and long range) competitor mostly. I've only just begun dabbling in pistol competition. I have ruled out NRA bullseye as ridiculously antiquated and having no bearing to how I use a pistol. I have shot a couple of IDPA matches (with both semis and revolvers) and have liked what I saw. Now need to try USPSA.

Was going to make it to the Oxford USPSA club tomorrow but found out today I gotta work. :mad:

Oh well, maybe next month.

Alpha Sierra
06-01-08, 16:07
Shot USPSA today in revolver class. So far that looks a lot more appealing (more shooting, less "tactical" rules) than IDPA.