PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Silvertip still valid??

falnovice
10-26-13, 18:22
Hey there. Hoping you guys could help me out.

I just had someone locally offer be some 9mm Winchester Silvertip as one element of a partial trade on a shotgun I am selling. The guy has "stockpiled" a lot of it, or at least according to him. (One man's stockpile is another mans weekend.)

My first instinct is so turn it down as I don't really know how long he has had it, or how he has stored it. But it has raised the question for me; is the Silvertip still a good defensive round?
I remember running it as MY defensive around in a couple guns LONG ago, and that is the problem. Isn't it really first generation hollowpoint technology?

Thanks for help.
Fal

ST911
10-26-13, 18:38
When crunching the numbers on your trade, value the Silvertip as training ball and use it as such. Ammo of dubious origin should not be used for defensive purposes.

The Silvertip technology is outdated and much better options exist. If you used that load for defensive purpose, use it as a deep stock contingency load and get modern technology for your first line gear.

Unfortunately, the older tech loads (HydraShok, Silvertip, etc) have held and even increased their price point despite their poor performance. Anticipate butthurt when you point out the above.

Kain
10-26-13, 21:09
Unfortunately, the older tech loads (HydraShok, Silvertip, etc) have held and even increased their price point despite their poor performance. Anticipate butthurt when you point out the above.

This! I have often seen, more so lately, older generation JHP, Federal hI-Shok, and other older and lower end JHP running a $1 or more a round, some wanting upwards of $2 a round. A year ago I was buying Golden Saber for a little more than .50 a round and Ranger T, Gold Dot, and HST for under .70 a round.

Also, having testing some old Silver Tip in 9mm a number of years ago firing it into phone books, we have several if not a majority fail to expand at all. Had better luck with PMC Star Fires with several of them failing, not to expand, but expanding erratically.

vicious_cb
10-27-13, 02:23
If you are wondering about 9mm Silvertip performance, think 1986, Miami, FBI.

falnovice
10-27-13, 17:19
Thanks for the help guys.
I was in the process of moving over the Federal HST before everything went to hell in the ammo market. For now I am bitterly clinging to my GoldenSabers. :)
Wasn't looking to use them for defense....just curious how well they stood up to the test of time. Not well apparently.

You weren't kidding about the butthurt.

Regarding Miami 1986, is that what they were packing? I seem to recall reading one of the overviews of the Silvertip that claimed the bullet was a brilliant design......when pushed out of a 357 Magnum or a hot 38 Super. But I think a lot of the older stuff was pretty velocity sensitive.

Hitchhiker
10-28-13, 17:58
The original handgun Silvertips had aluminum jackets. The rifle Silvertips had regular bullet jackets. Later, rifle Silvertips became various Nosler bullets. Handgun Silvertips became the same Winchester jacketed hollow point bullets used in the Winchester USA ammo but sometimes have premium features, such as case sealant, nickel plated brass and low flash powder. More recently these features, such as low flash powder seem less used in Silvertip handgun ammunition though.

Kokopelli
10-28-13, 18:40
Ah... get it, carry it and shoot it. It's not like ammo is a permanent thing. I run/replace all my carry ammo every month anyhow. Soon it'll be gone and you'll be looking for more ammo. JMO..