PDA

View Full Version : Glad I found this site! Thanks!!!

colterh
10-26-13, 20:37
Recently decided to get my first AR. Was looking at a BM because of a 223/22 combo that I saw. Found this site, read a ton, and ran from the BM! Decided to pick up a dedicated .22 and 5.56. Bought a s&w M&P AR 15-22 in olive drab last week. Yesterday- placed a deposit on a Colt 6920. Planned to shoot the S&W this weekend but weather got in the way. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks to all that contribute to this site. I feel like I have made 2 good decisions and am now stock piling ammo! Lol. :cool:

Suwannee Tim
10-26-13, 20:42
That dedicated 22LR upper is money well spent. What kind of magazines do you have for it?

Safetyhit
10-26-13, 20:49
While appreciated this isn't really the place for your comment and this thread will likely be moved soon. Maybe take a few moments to check a more appropriate sub-forum next time around.

Again we do appreciate your appreciation as well as overall enthusiasm so I hope you take my suggestion in a positive light.

colterh
10-26-13, 20:52
Just the stock S&W mag. Picked 2 more of them up at Cabelas. Saw some Plinker Tactical 35 rd mags, but reviews were pretty split on how they ran. Figured I would just stick with the stock mags. Any other suggestions ?

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 20:56
Good choices, and best of luck finding some .22 ammo. I do hope some is filtering into your area.

There's some great sticky threads in the technical areas, that can help you with operating your new carbines and training. Take some time to read them, I learned a ton just by doing that myself.

Welcome to M4C.

Safetyhit
10-26-13, 20:57
By the way I just bought my son an M&P 15-22 last summer and so far it's been flawless. Biggest issue is finding some damn .22's, which even here in NJ would have seemed an inconceivable problem.

colterh
10-26-13, 21:11
I hear ya- 22 is pretty scarce around here. It is the only ammo that cabelas, academy, Walmart etc still have box limits on. I was able to find quite a bit at academy and cabelas though. Maybe I was just at the right place and right time.

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 21:12
By the way I just bought my son an M&P 15-22 last summer and so far it's been flawless. Biggest issue is finding some damn .22's, which even here in NJ would have seemed an inconceivable problem.

Sweet! :) How does he like it?

Are you using it to teach him irons? Or starting with a RDS?

I've been debating doing the same thing. A good friend's son is turning 10 next year, and I was thinking about buying him a M&P 15-22 for his birthday.

SwatDawg15
10-26-13, 21:16
Well thought out choices.. post some pics when you can.

Safetyhit
10-26-13, 21:22
Sweet! :) How does he like it?

Are you using it to teach him irons? Or starting with a RDS?

I've been debating doing the same thing. A good friend's son is turning 10 next year, and I was thinking about buying him a M&P 15-22 for his birthday.

He loves it, in fact I posted pictures of him on the range shooting it for the first time in AC's thread and it's been "When can we go again?" ever since despite several trips since.

So far only irons, will give him one of my optics when he gets past the primary stage. Despite all the accessories available today myself and likely most would agree that irons are the way to go fundamentally.

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 21:38
I have been going back and forth on it myself. I think irons are good, and it likely teaches the youngster more about the actual mechanics of marksmanship.

But it's just great to see the little guy's face light up when he dings steel a couple of times in a row. Like with your son, they just chomp at the bit wanting more.

I'll go hunt down the pics, I bet your son had a blast.

This young fellow is a really great kid. Smart as a tack, and a hard worker. He'd do well with either approach.

Colterh, sorry for the thread drift.

ucrt
10-26-13, 21:41
Just the stock S&W mag. Picked 2 more of them up at Cabelas. Saw some Plinker Tactical 35 rd mags, but reviews were pretty split on how they ran. Figured I would just stick with the stock mags. Any other suggestions ?

==========================

Welcome...just don't go contaminate that Colt with a bunch of kaa-kaa add-on paraphernalias. :)

But maybe it's just me...

Safetyhit
10-26-13, 21:54
Thought I put up more than one picture SS but here is the page:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=114003&page=64

As far as your friend's son, well his dad is lucky to have a buddy such as yourself. If you have the money to spend on it for him it will be well worth it. No conceivable downside except for .22's being more of a challenge to obtain at will.

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 22:05
How cool! That's a good pic. It's great that you get to shoot at a good range like that.

And the young lad in question does not have a father. But thanks very much for the kind words.

Safetyhit
10-26-13, 23:26
How cool! That's a good pic. It's great that you get to shoot at a good range like that.

And the young lad in question does not have a father. But thanks very much for the kind words.

Interesting because I just purchased something for my son's friend who does have a father, only he's somewhere unknown to him. Follow through with your plan. If no one else thanks you (which I highly doubt) I will take a moment to do so now.

coastwatcher42
10-27-13, 02:16
Sweet! :)
A good friend's son is turning 10 next year, and I was thinking about buying him a M&P 15-22 for his birthday.

Where were you when I turned 10?

badness
10-27-13, 20:45
welcome. and have fun with your new acquisitions. :neo:

SeriousStudent
10-27-13, 23:01
Where were you when I turned 10?

I was probably off smiting evildoers, depending on how old you are.