PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this?? Auxetik Muzzle Brake

DS-11B
10-27-13, 12:17
I saw an article (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/07/foghorn/worlds-first-3d-printed-muzzle-brake/) on this and looked at the website (http://sintercore.com/brake/). Anyone know anything about it?

lunchbox
10-27-13, 12:34
Don't know about brake, but do know industry is heading the way of 3-D printing. The machine shop technologies program here has incorporated 3D printing into curriculum, and we were strongly encouraged to take it.

justin_247
10-27-13, 13:06
The design is very similar to a Battlecomp. I expect it probably performs similarly, as well.

I say give credit where credit is due and take your money to Battlecomp instead. It's really annoying how many companies are ripping off their designs nowadays.

GH41
10-27-13, 13:27
The design is very similar to a Battlecomp. I expect it probably performs similarly, as well.

I say give credit where credit is due and take your money to Battlecomp instead. It's really annoying how many companies are ripping off their designs nowadays.

Have you looked at the illustration showing the layers in the comp? It isn't a copy of anything. It sounded interesting until I got to the $300 part! GH

ColtSeavers
10-27-13, 13:44
I understand that a lot of 'whiz bang' went into creating this muzzle device, but that price tag is absolutely asinine. All these non suppressor muzzle devices getting more and more clever at simply costing more (to tame the prodigious 5.56 recoil) is kind of funny to me. I'll stick with my MI FH/comp combo device for $30, a tenth of the price, that I have been completely happy with so far.

Dead Man
10-27-13, 14:04
The Triple Tap started it with their $400 inconel adapter/compensator. People bought them, and thought they were great compensators.. so others followed suit with less expensive, but still way more expensive than anything else before, devices.

The BattleComp is rather expensive, but it does work well. I've been using them since they came out. They did promise, back when they were released, to reduce the price substantially once they got all of their startup costs covered... I suspect that promise has been conveniently forgotten.

It's just a matter of time until someone puts out a combat-specific comp that works as well as the TT, BC, BCM devices for $40 and runs everyone else out of town, in my opinion.

$300 for this one? Will be interesting to see who buys it.

justin_247
10-27-13, 14:08
Have you looked at the illustration showing the layers in the comp? It isn't a copy of anything. It sounded interesting until I got to the $300 part! GH

I did look at the layers, and I have yet to see what advantage they will provide.

Abraham
10-27-13, 14:09
The hottest load I've shot so far in my AR is Lake City 62 gr. 5.56 green tip and I've yet to find the recoil even slightly punishing - so where's the need for a compensator?

And yes, need isn't always a part of the shooting equation, I get it, but what purpose does a compensator serve for such an easy recoil rifle?

Does it provide an edge for precision shooting or ...?

Thanks!

Rayrevolver
10-27-13, 14:10

If this is a copy of BC, then BC is a copy of the KAC Triple Tap.

It would be nice to see a comparison of the BC, KAC TT, and this Auxetik. I will say its a 3D printed masterpiece and very cool. I am not spending this kind of money for either a KAC/Auxetik though.

EDIT: Wow, lots of posts quickly. I wonder about the strength of 3D printed items. Anyone know?

Iraqgunz
10-27-13, 14:27
It has almost nothing to do with recoil. Its about managing muzzle climb with possible affects to muzzle flash. Anyone who has shot an A2 and then fired a Battle Comp, Bravo Comp or other similar devices and can't tell the difference probably needs to shoot more.

The hottest load I've shot so far in my AR is Lake City 62 gr. 5.56 green tip and I've yet to find the recoil even slightly punishing - so where's the need for a compensator?

And yes, need isn't always a part of the shooting equation, I get it, but what purpose does a compensator serve for such an easy recoil rifle?

Does it provide an edge for precision shooting or ...?

Thanks!

DS-11B
10-27-13, 14:35
It has almost nothing to do with recoil. Its about managing muzzle climb with possible affects to muzzle flash. Anyone who has shot an A2 and then fired a Battle Comp, Bravo Comp or other similar devices and can't tell the difference probably needs to shoot more.

Thanks for this, the comment that 5.56 has manageable recoil and thus does not need any sort of enhanced muzzle device gets old...

For lack of a better analogy, getting a 5.56 rifle to handle and allow follow up shots like a Ruger 10/22 would be a major advantage, especially if you can do it without firing off fireballs with every shot or making your ears bleed. (This is also where someone generally throws in the "just get a suppressor" comment. Please don't do that either)

I'll be curious to know what they work like and if any big time shooters are willing to vouch for them. For now though, I'm a little skeptical because among other reasons, IMO Recoil Magazine likes to flash expensive cool looking items that are not necessarily practical.

WS6
10-27-13, 18:09
The Triple Tap started it with their $400 inconel adapter/compensator. People bought them, and thought they were great compensators.. so others followed suit with less expensive, but still way more expensive than anything else before, devices.

The BattleComp is rather expensive, but it does work well. I've been using them since they came out. They did promise, back when they were released, to reduce the price substantially once they got all of their startup costs covered... I suspect that promise has been conveniently forgotten.

It's just a matter of time until someone puts out a combat-specific comp that works as well as the TT, BC, BCM devices for $40 and runs everyone else out of town, in my opinion.

$300 for this one? Will be interesting to see who buys it.
I think 3D printing will have a lot to do with it. Some people really get turned on by that technology, and will buy it. Others, like myself, are not early adopters of all things, and will hang back a good while (forever?) to see how it holds up, etc. I think manufacture method > Design, for this product, regarding sales figures.

They already have. Manticore Nightbrake. It's 90% of what the Battlecomp is for a the high price of $50 or so.

DS-11B
10-27-13, 18:13
They already have. Manticore Nightbrake. It's 90% of what the Battlecomp is for a the high price of $50 or so.

I think I would go with a Griffin M4 comp or Spikes Dynacomp before I used that.

justin_247
10-27-13, 19:02

I don't disagree.

DS-11B
10-27-13, 19:07
It seems like noone else knows much more than me lol

lunchbox
10-27-13, 19:22

It would be nice to see a comparison of the BC, KAC TT, and this Auxetik. I will say its a 3D printed masterpiece and very cool. I am not spending this kind of money for either a KAC/Auxetik though.

EDIT: Wow, lots of posts quickly. I wonder about the strength of 3D printed items. Anyone know?I always liked this article, sums it up nicely http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

SomeOtherGuy
10-27-13, 19:42

Just a PSA, the whole "ripoff of Battlecomp" idea was beaten to death in a thread about a year ago (possibly about the Griffin comp) and it culminated in a photo of a WWII era Soviet tank brake that looked EXACTLY like a Battlecomp, except for being tank-sized. It's a good basic concept, it isn't new to Battlecomp, and it was't new to KAC with their Triple Tap although that may have been the recent impetus for the trend (and the TT has some cool design features that aren't on the others, due to cost).

Dead Man
10-27-13, 19:53
I always liked this article, sums it up nicely http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

Imagine you’d lived on a planet that had never seen a car before, and all of a sudden the newspapers start reporting about the car, a vehicle which can do up to 250mph, carrying up to 10 people, and cost as little as $300. All true, but as we know, that’s not the full story.

Great line, and applicable to so many mass misunderstandings regarding scientific progress.

mastiffhound
10-27-13, 20:13
I read about this awhile ago on the firearm blog or TTAG, $300 is insane. I can get a lower, parts kit, and a Battlecomp if I look real hard I think. My ARs shoot pretty soft when compared to my AK and Mini-14. $300 for a more than likely perceived reduction in recoil?

It reminds me of when these kids come into the shop with an expensive glasspack muffler and an even more expensive cold air intake on their Civic. They think that their car is faster because their butt/wallet dyno and how loud their car is tells them so. All they've usually done is make their engine run lean and lose low end torque. I'll stick with what is proven.

badness
10-27-13, 20:57

BC took KAC's design, changed the ports and the material that the device is made out of and called it their own.

Going by your logic, he should buy a triple tap.

This device is more than just a BC clone. It took the design of the Triple Tap and the BCM comp and meshed them together. Almost like a triple tap covering over a bcm comp.

The devices ability to control muzzle movement looks to be no better than the BCM's. I'm interested in seeing how well it can reduce muzzle flash.

uncle money bags
10-27-13, 22:28
3d printing as is commonly understood should not be confused with laser metal sintering, which is how i believe this comp is manufactured.

plouffedaddy
10-28-13, 07:46

Agreed 100%. I was about to write this myself until I saw WS6 beat me to it.

Rayrevolver
10-28-13, 08:19
3d printing as is commonly understood should not be confused with laser metal sintering, which is how i believe this comp is manufactured.

I had not seen any metal based products come from 3D printing. I should have paid attention to the website.

Had a coworker come back from a Vegas show with a metal sintered "castle tower" with circular stairs inside. Very cool toy and that was over 10 years ago. Obviously they have come a long way if they can make a part that survives the muzzle end of a rifle.

Manticore Nightbrake looks interesting. Thanks.

Krusty783
10-28-13, 09:02
It says they're 100% Inconel. The only metallic "3-D Printing" done in Inconel that I know of is Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) or Laser-Freeform Manufacturing Technology (LFMT) which is basically large scale DMLS. Both work by continuously depositing a small amount of powder which is then melted by a laser head.

You can make lots of funky parts, but the process is slow and might require some stress relief, and the machines can be ungodly expensive.