PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is "range lawyering"

theblackknight
10-27-13, 18:39
I've seen the term, but never with enough context to pin point it's meaning. I've yet to get a good answer in other venues so I figure with people like Jesse and Cold could clue me in.

Jesse Tischauser
10-28-13, 08:33
It's a slang term that I'd personally use for the guy that always knows the range or match rules better than anyone else and is more than happy to let you know when you're breaking those sacred rules.

It may have different meaning to others.

_Stormin_
10-28-13, 08:39
Jesse nailed how I use the term.

Generally nothing more than an annoyance at the range, but I don't compete for prizes that include a check. I think at that point I would find it infuriating.

theblackknight
10-28-13, 09:49
I could see that for multi gun, but what about USPSA where the rule book is all that matters?

kelly neal
10-28-13, 13:06
I thought it was anytime that I spoke on the range!

Shawn.L
10-28-13, 21:00
I've had to debate.....vigorously....... With the RO ( or SO) more than once that a specific way I ran a stage, or specific gear, was in fact within the rules. This would be "range lawyering".

yellowfin
08-07-14, 18:03
Apparently it is even more dreaded to be labled by others a "tactical timmy".

HKGuns
08-07-14, 18:23
In my parts they are called Range Nazi's.

Patriotmrd
08-07-14, 22:08
A "range lawyer" is someone who will pick apart a stage or stage description when they have been caught on a procedural or safety rule violation in order to gain advantage, get a stage thrown out or get a RO ruling overturned.

Real example from a few years ago (relayed to me 2nd hand):
Shooter violates the "180" to hit a target array and is DQed. The shooter vigorously argues against his being DQ because the stage design allowed him to do so and the stage description said to engage target " as they become visible". I don't remember if the stage was thrown out but, I was told his DQ was overturned. I never would have overturned it as a clear violation of a MAJOR published safety rule.

SeriousStudent
08-07-14, 22:25
Gents, you do know the person that posted this topic has been banned for about a year, right?