PDA

View Full Version : What is a good collapsible stock for the AR15?

ronald
10-28-13, 09:18
I am looking for a good collapsible stock for my AR15. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

MistWolf
10-28-13, 09:30
Use the https://www.m4carbine.net/nual/misc/nav_search.gif above. Try using "Magpul stock", "stock" and "SOPMOD" as key words. There will be plenty of threads to get you started.

Welcome to the forums

diving dave
10-28-13, 09:37
What he said... Barrel length? I'm a big fan of the UBR if your running 16 inch

Tzook
10-28-13, 09:42
I am looking for a good colapsable stock for my AR15. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

There's a bunch, I would look through the picture thread until you see something you like, then do research on that particular stock

CrazyFingers
10-28-13, 10:43
Search button is your friend.
You need to be familiar with your state's laws regarding collapsible stocks and other "evil" features on sporting rifles.
You also need to know whether your receiver extension is commercial or mil-spec.
That being said, without any criteria other than "good" and "collapsible", just buy a Magpul MOE and be done:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319180434/magpul-stock-moe-collapsible-ar-15-carbine-synthetic

Caduceus
10-28-13, 10:45
I like the regular stock ... er, stock.

I just bought my first Magpul; just put it on the rifle yesterday. No chance to actually shoot it yet. Bought b/c it was tan and I could dye it to my taste.

kevN
10-28-13, 11:03
Anything from Vltor, Magpul, or B5 is GTG in my opinion. What I would do if I were you is use the standard M4 stock and figure out what you don't like about it. Then when you're reading reviews use that to discern.

Popular concerns:
Cheek Weld, Beard Pulling, sturdyness of locking mechanism (wiggle), prone shooting (rear bag usage for precision stuff), storage (for those who care).

I personally use the Magpul STR or UBR on "precision" AR's, and the VLTOR iMod on most everything else.

-Kevin

trauma
10-28-13, 11:45
LMT sopmod, Magpul CTR

TehLlama
10-28-13, 12:38
This thread will be locked.

Ronald - when you get around to asking the same question, format it like this:

I have THIS upper receiver (make, model, handguard; any sights and/or optic devices, lights, lasers, or other attachments).
I intend to use this rifle for:
I have this budget:

And you'll get helpful answers. Right now there's so little to go off of, google is your best bet since we don't have enough to go on.

Army Chief
10-28-13, 12:51
It is a new guy question, and yes, we generally refer those to the search button, but it isn't because no one want to actually help. It's because the question itself is kind of the equivalent of asking whether to mount the white lettering on your tires inside or out. How are we to have any idea, when we haven't seen the car, don't know what you want to do with it, what kind of driving you do, etc.? What kind stock do you already have (if any), and what is driving you to replace it? If you say "looks," please step away from the computer and punch yourself in the junk before continuing. ;)

Obviously, there are scores and scores of stock options out there, and you can learn a lot about member preferences by studying photos that show up of their completed guns. All Magpul offerings are solid, and well-designed. Always popular. The SOPMOD stock is another sure winner. Some folks like various VLTOR offerings, too. In truth, most of us have more than one configuration on hand, and use more than one type of stock, so there is more than one answer to the question, even in the eyes of a single user.

Give us some more insight, an we might be able to be more helpful. But yes ... this one is going to end up with you using the search button. That is where your answers -- good ones -- will be ultimately found.

AC

tacoops
10-28-13, 18:21
I have a 6920 with the Rogers super stock and have been considering the Magpul ACS-L stock, looks like it would have a better cheek weld but I'm not sure about the attachment points on it for my sling. I like how I can have the sling attached to the top of the Rogers stock.

Kokopelli
10-28-13, 18:34
On a carbine, I like the Rogers stock as well.. !

GH41
10-28-13, 19:08
B5. GH

TedG
10-28-13, 20:08
The Rogers is light weight too. I like mine over the MOE.

Iraqgunz
10-28-13, 20:21
Stocks are like underwear. Some guys like boxers, some like ball-huggers and some like boxer briefs. Then you have another segment that likes ladies panties because they are soft and silky. Ultimately seeking an answer to this is not going to help you because you can end up with 20,000 different answers.

Glock30
10-28-13, 20:27
I am looking for a good colapsable stock for my AR15. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Im a fan of the Magpul UBR w/enhanced buttpad & strike plate (sold separately) :)

walker2713
10-28-13, 20:33
+10 for Magpul CTR.....

LoveAR
10-28-13, 20:38
^^^ What the experts said. I like the Magpul CTR.

JG007
10-28-13, 20:42
I had it narrowed down to the B5 and STR and then saw this

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

Iraqgunz
10-28-13, 20:52
Do you plan on dropping it repeatedly until you damage the stock? If so, then you better look at your entire carbine because you will probably break grips, sights and other stuff first.

I had it narrowed down to the B5 and STR and then saw this

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

Grand58742
10-28-13, 20:55
Stocks are like underwear. Some guys like boxers, some like ball-huggers and some like boxer briefs. Then you have another segment that likes ladies panties because they are soft and silky. Ultimately seeking an answer to this is not going to help you because you can end up with 20,000 different answers.

You forgot commando...

Anyway, back on topic. The suggestion that folks have mentioned without going right out and saying it specifically is:

"Find what's comfortable to you."

I have a friend will not use anything other than the issue M4 stock. Hates Magpul, B5 systems, the lot. Just says it's more comfortable to him. I tend to prefer the B5 and Magpul offerings myself.

Find which one works best for your intended purpose. Chances are there are going to be several different styles on the wall at your gun shop. Give them a whirl and find what "fits" you best just like underwear.

Ryno12
10-28-13, 21:09
You forgot commando...

I guess in this case, that would be a pistol. ;)

Right now I'm using a B5, Imod, an ACS, & a couple of Emods. My preference is the Emod, mainly because of the length & cheek weld. Just feels more comfy than the others. I'm usually sporting a beard too & it doesn't get grabby with me as I have read on some reports. My least favorite ever are the OEM M4 stocks. They rot.

Sent via Tapatalk

Boba Fett v2
10-28-13, 21:25
Thanks

My favorite stock is the LMT/B5 SOPMOD, as everyone's should be.

;)

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

azngotskills
10-28-13, 21:46
I like the Magpul STR but recently picked up a B5 Sopmod, they are similar but yet a little different. Overall I like the B5 Sopmod better, seems like a better fit and more solid construction IMO

cop1211
10-29-13, 01:04
Sopmod or B5 better cheek weld for me.

Iraqgunz
10-29-13, 01:19
Commando is lack of underwear and therefore not applicable.

You forgot commando...

Anyway, back on topic. The suggestion that folks have mentioned without going right out and saying it specifically is:

"Find what's comfortable to you."

I have a friend will not use anything other than the issue M4 stock. Hates Magpul, B5 systems, the lot. Just says it's more comfortable to him. I tend to prefer the B5 and Magpul offerings myself.

Find which one works best for your intended purpose. Chances are there are going to be several different styles on the wall at your gun shop. Give them a whirl and find what "fits" you best just like underwear.

Split66
10-29-13, 02:08
The Colt N1 stock is arguably the best stock ever made. It's smaller, lighter, stronger.....and has other notable positive attributes.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a535/Blastah1/6634ab1c-6e82-4d0f-88f2-814aa752ecdb_zps62834e68.jpg

WNY_Whitetailer
10-29-13, 02:17
I prefer the STR...

Sent from my garbage truck using tapatalk.

Koshinn
10-29-13, 02:45
Most people prefer the STR after trying it. It's also one of 4 or so stocks (ACS, ACS-L, and EMod) that fully collapse on an A5 buffer tube.

I like the cheek weld better on the STR than on SOPMODs. I also like how the lever is protected, it works better with a rear bag, and has accessible storage without removing it. It's also fairly cheap and can take different rubber butt pads.

britishtq
10-29-13, 04:13
I'm all about the ctr or acs stocks from magpul. And if you like the original vltor mod stock it's on clearance over there in fde for like $50

svtpwnz
10-29-13, 08:00
For a 16" carbine, I really like the Magpul UBR. Very solid stock and consistent cheek weld.

J-Dub
10-29-13, 08:09
Anything Magpul, just choose your flavor and cost.

Army Chief
10-29-13, 09:19
Most people prefer the STR after trying it.

I've tended to settle on SOPMODs and STRs, myself, with the latter being my most recent "discovery." Lots to like there, and not much reason to look any further for my purposes. Would probably buy another STR if I were setting up something new.

Like most everyone else, I still have a quiet appreciation for the UBR, as well, but it's a more purpose-driven selection because of the weight issues. Makes sense if you're trying to balance a nose-heavy gun, for example (suppressed SBR, longer-barreled SPR ...), but not the obvious choice for a stripped-down flyer.

AC

Clem
10-29-13, 09:29

Wouldn't going commando just be a pistol build?

Ryno12
10-29-13, 12:39

Yeah, said that already. :)

I guess in this case, that would be a pistol. ;)

The_War_Wagon
10-29-13, 12:46
If you find that to be a question that needs asking, I would suggest just sticking with the factory offering, until such time as you realize you NEED something different.

ColtM4Carbine
10-29-13, 12:58
I've had a chance to use every Magpul stock and would reccomend the Magpul CTR or UBR. CTR for lighter rifles and the UBR for a heavier rifle.

Army Chief
10-29-13, 13:20
Unless the OP cares to weigh-in with any further insights or specific-questions relative to his situation, I'm not sure where else we can really take this one.

Not closing it, but it was something of a shot in the dark to begin with, and there doesn't seem to be much to add to what we've already tried to provide.

I guess that is why we tend to rein-in 101-level questions pretty early as a matter of course, but thanks to all for at least making an effort to be helpful here.

AC

britishtq
10-29-13, 13:24

He could just rock a pistol buffer w/o a stock. I think commando applies.

britishtq
10-29-13, 13:26

I was beaten to the punch, damn. I didn't read that far down before the reply.

Koshinn
10-29-13, 13:29
I've tended to settle on SOPMODs and STRs, myself, with the latter being my most recent "discovery." Lots to like there, and not much reason to look any further for my purposes. Would probably buy another STR if I were setting up something new.

Like most everyone else, I still have a quiet appreciation for the UBR, as well, but it's a more purpose-driven selection because of the weight issues. Makes sense if you're trying to balance a nose-heavy gun, for example (suppressed SBR, longer-barreled SPR ...), but not the obvious choice for a stripped-down flyer.

AC

Yeah I don't think the STR is so much better than a SOPMOD to actually replace a SOPMOD if you already have one, which is why I still have 2 SOPMODs on lowers (SR-15 and dedicated .22LR lower). :) but for any future lowers, an STR is definitely the way to go for me... and if people still paid LMT prices for LMT SOPMODs, I'd sell one and buy two more STRs! Damn you B5!!

I don't think a UBR is even worth it on a suppressed SBR, my 10.5" 5.56 SBR with AAC SDN-6 (20 something oz, 7.5" long can) balances at the muzzle side of the magwell. Removing the can moves the center of balance back even further, something like mid-magwell. That's one of the advantages of a short barrel, less center of balance shift with a can! My SR-15 center of balance shifts FAR forward when putting the SDN-6 on it, so much so that I'd prefer running it with a battlecomp than a suppressor unless I could cut it to 14.5" and run a Mini4 or something similar... so maybe a UBR would work on my SR-15!

But I never understood why people got a UBR just for extra weight. Yeah it looks neat and saves you from buying a buffer tube, but you could just get a STR and fill the battery tubes with lead weights for the same effect at less price.

Panoptes
10-29-13, 14:26
UBR. Consistency of cheek weld. Adds balance/stability.

Army Chief
10-29-13, 14:37
But I never understood why people got a UBR just for extra weight. Yeah it looks neat and saves you from buying a buffer tube, but you could just get a STR and fill the battery tubes with lead weights for the same effect at less price.

Hadn't considered that angle, and it is a valid point.

I guess what the UBR still has going for it (aside from the general appeal of the unit) is how "solid" it feels, as compared to virtually every other adjustable stock. You get fixed-stock stability in many ways and once you've pulled off the storage bay doors, a pretty useful, cool and practical slider equivalent.

I also like the method of installation and dedicated hardware, but that is purely subjective on my part. The weight can be an issue, depending upon the application, but because of where it falls on the gun, especially when we're talking about shorter guns, I can live with that. Pretty much flies in the face of all logic, mind you, but there is just something about the UBR that makes me want to like it.

SOPMOD versus STR? I have an extra SOPMOD or two laying around. The STR is on a gun. Go figure.

AC

Koshinn
10-29-13, 15:18
You get fixed-stock stability in many ways and once you've pulled off the storage bay doors, a pretty useful, cool and practical slider equivalent.

You can get fixed-stock stability from a SOPMOD and sometimes from an STR too, haha.

I like the UBR because it reminds me of the SCAR from the Crysis series of games, which I'm sure actually took the look of the stock from Magpul, not the other way around:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130426202750/crysis/images/a/a3/Crysis-3-weapon-screen-03.jpg

LoveAR
10-29-13, 20:27
Great question.