PDA

View Full Version : ? on Gun Cleaning Equipment in a search warrant

platoonDaddy
10-28-13, 11:04
What is significant about "gun cleaning equipment" that it would be part of a search warrant? Or is this a common item when searching for weapons?

Two recent news stories in the DC area:

The police banged on the front door of Mr. Witaschek’s Georgetown home at 8:20 p.m. on July 7, 2012, to execute a search warrant for “firearms and ammunition … gun cleaning equipment, holsters, bullet holders and ammunition receipts.”

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=141052

And now this: A spokesman said the warrant authorized police to search the family’s home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/28/federal-agents-pre-dawn-raid-on-reporter-home-raises-questions/

Apricotshot
10-28-13, 11:18
I assume supporting evidence of the fact that thier may have been a firearm in the residence at one time?

SteyrAUG
10-28-13, 12:51
Welcome to the new "drug paraphernalia", as we take steps to make one thing legal, we need to create a new boogeyman. We did it after the end of prohibition too, can't have all those Federal agents without a windmill to tilt.

SilverBullet432
10-28-13, 12:52
everyone knows that a clean gun has full auto capability :rolleyes:

NCPatrolAR
10-28-13, 13:39
What is significant about "gun cleaning equipment" that it would be part of a search warrant? Or is this a common item when searching for weapons?

Two recent news stories in the DC area:

The police banged on the front door of Mr. Witaschek’s Georgetown home at 8:20 p.m. on July 7, 2012, to execute a search warrant for “firearms and ammunition … gun cleaning equipment, holsters, bullet holders and ammunition receipts.”

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=141052

And now this: A spokesman said the warrant authorized police to search the family’s home for guns, ammunition, records of gun purchases, gun cleaning kits and other gun-related documents.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/28/federal-agents-pre-dawn-raid-on-reporter-home-raises-questions/

Likely listed to show proof he possesses, or recently possessed, firearms. Not illegal to own, but can be used to support the crime.

Chameleox
10-28-13, 13:46
I assume supporting evidence of the fact that thier may have been a firearm in the residence at one time?

This.
On search warrants related to gun crimes, or where the suspect, for whatever reason, may be prohibited from owning a firearm, "gun paraphernalia" is often listed as the items to be searched for, to show that they have access to, or possession of, a firearm. Its not enough to charge, obviously, but it adds to some cases.

You see these a lot on drug search warrants, where the suspects are suspected of protecting their trade by violence, or threat thereof, or are suspected of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

In the sense above, listing "gun paraphernalia" as an item to search for has been around for at least several years.

Voodoo_Man
10-28-13, 13:50
Gun cleaning equipment often retains bullet / powder residue.

That's all I'll say about that.

moonshot
10-28-13, 14:29
Curious - according to the news reports, the search for guns (and hence gun cleaning equip) was due to the reporters husband - Paul Falnagan - having been convicted of resisting arrest in 1986.

I do not know if there are degrees of resisting arrest, or what the penalties are, but little old ladies staging a sit-in to pretest the closing of their bingo parlor can get charged with resisting arrest.

Is this enough to loose ones 2nd Amendment rights?

NCPatrolAR
10-28-13, 16:29
Resist in NC is only a misd offense. Now certain assaults on officers can be a felony

moonshot
10-28-13, 17:05
Resist in NC is only a misd offense. Now certain assaults on officers can be a felony

Wouldn't that result in an assault charge?

NCPatrolAR
10-28-13, 17:44
Wouldn't that result in an assault charge?

Not always......even then simple assault on an officer is only a misd

moonshot
10-28-13, 20:41
Still confused. I don't know the details, but he wasn't convicted of assault, he was convicted of resisting arrest. If a simple assault on a police officer is still just a misdemeanor, and I would assume resisting arrest is less of a charge than any assault, how would resisting arrest result in loss of 2A rights?