PDA

View Full Version : Courage: the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty

Eurodriver
10-28-13, 11:50
http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-officer-years-heroics-caught-dashcam/story?id=20661731

Meanwhile, trooper Kevin Campbell was approaching Michael from the opposite direction. Upon seeing Campbell, Michael "accelerated his truck and intentionally rammed Corporal Campbell's patrol car head-on," trapping Campbell inside his own cruiser, according to the state police.

Campbell was a sitting duck, while Strohmeyer's cruiser can be seen on video approaching the collided cars. Hoping to divert attention away from his trapped colleague, Strohmeyer rammed his own cruiser into the back of Michael's truck, state police said.

Strohmeyer's plan worked. Michael can be seen on video charging Strohmeyer's cruiser with his gun drawn and firing. Eight bullets ripped through Strohmeyer's windshield, as shown in a photograph obtained by ABC News. Strohmeyer was hit several times in the chest and left wrist.

Strohmeyer was wearing a bulletproof vest and survived. Michael was killed by the troopers' returning gunfire.

J-Dub
10-28-13, 12:38
Good.

Next up should be this OR troop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1gYEG1TzBk

Nothing like saving the court system a ton of money.

domestique
10-28-13, 12:44
Awesome.

Highly recommend reading the book: On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in PeaceBook by Dave Grossman.

A great read for all that serve and for those that responsibly carry a gun.

Eurodriver
10-28-13, 18:43
I guess LEOs being heroes getting killers off the streets and saving their brother's lives just don't make for entertaining threads.

Irish
10-28-13, 19:39
Captain David Huff. http://youtu.be/-TgFz3qmE9U

Voodoo_Man
10-28-13, 19:45
I guess LEOs being heroes getting killers off the streets and saving their brother's lives just don't make for entertaining threads.

Of course not, doesn't flow with the standard anti-le mindset some people seem to have.

SeriousStudent
10-28-13, 20:13
Trooper Strohmeyer is officially a Bad Ass First Class, with Oak Leaf Cluster.

I'm betting he also has to wear special pants while sneaking up on bad guys, to muffle the clanging sound he makes when he walks.

And that OSP shooting was scary as hell. You could see the officer getting hits, and the guy did not go down. That's a nightmare I have, the rounds connect and the guy just soaks them up like a lead sponge.

SteyrAUG
10-28-13, 23:51

Honestly, I don't think there is much to be said. No controversial aspects to debate that I can see. If you want to add a poll for "impressed" or "not impressed" I'm sure you will get the expected results.

And sadly positive topics just don't generate the replies that "cop shot a kid" posts tend to get. I'd suggest starting a "positive press" thread for all of the good things cops do that somehow manage to make the news, but some will see it as official propaganda and others won't be able to resist posting negative stories to show the other side.

theblackknight
10-29-13, 05:15
Arnt cops expected to shoot the bad guy and win the day? Surgeons do some pretty awesome things evolving saving lives too, but you really only hear about when they **** up or do something unusually valorous.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

J-Dub
10-29-13, 08:15
Arnt cops expected to shoot the bad guy and win the day? Surgeons do some pretty awesome things evolving saving lives too, but you really only hear about when they **** up or do something unusually valorous.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Huh, ya im still waiting for dozens of threads bashing doctors.....well the "bad doctors"...

Eurodriver
10-29-13, 09:01
And sadly positive topics just don't generate the replies that "cop shot a kid" posts tend to get. I'd suggest starting a "positive press" thread for all of the good things cops do that somehow manage to make the news, but some will see it as official propaganda and others won't be able to resist posting negative stories to show the other side.

I'll admit, I can fall into that trap pretty easily. It's easy to point a finger at LEOs and say "You guys are a bunch of Brownshirtted, jack booted thugs! Killing a Marine for defending his family?" etc etc. But the truth of the matter is that I've never actually met an LEO that I didn't like or gave off the totalitarian statist vibe.

There really are almost zero "LEOs got the bad guys" threads and when there are either the LEO apologists chime in first with sarcasm to beat the LEO haters to the punch or the cop baiters reply with extreme MMQBing prejudice.

Huh, ya im still waiting for dozens of threads bashing doctors.....well the "bad doctors"...

lol

domestique
10-29-13, 13:15

Bag boys should be public enemy #1. Tired of chasing after rolling cans because the "bagger" maliciously put too many cans in the same bag. (No offense the good bag boys dealing with limited funding and weak plastic bags).

Reality? people have fun criticizing others (from both sides). It's the internet and people can flex their muscles behind their computer screens.

I like the idea of having a thread dedicated to "good" stories, hell , we should have one for first responders (police, fire, EMS), military and civilians.

Question to police officers: Is there a national award that is common for all Departments that commends service/bravery? I'm thinking more along the lines of bronze/silver stars and even a MOH equivalent?

If so, is there a database that has all of these archived?