PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying .50 caliber round

mtdawg169
10-28-13, 23:39
I found this live round on my grandfather's workbench yesterday. When I asked him about it, he was rather nonchalant and just said, "oh, that? I've had that for years." He's been retired for a LONG time now. There's no telling how long this has been bouncing around his shop.

So, can anyone tell me what the silver tip signifies and how old it may be?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/29/a9ubegyp.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/29/egatyru3.jpg

ALCOAR
10-28-13, 23:53
My best guess:

M8 .50 Caliber armor piercing / incendiary cartridge: The M8 armor piercing / incendiary cartridge was designed for use against soft skinned and lightly armored vehicles as well as material destruction. It has an incendiary component. The M8 can be identified by its silver (aluminum) tip.

Slpeod
10-29-13, 02:12
My best guess:

M8 .50 Caliber armor piercing / incendiary cartridge: The M8 armor piercing / incendiary cartridge was designed for use against soft skinned and lightly armored vehicles as well as material destruction. It has an incendiary component. The M8 can be identified by its silver (aluminum) tip.

I'll second that one it's an M8 - that round can still be found in service today. It went into production around 1943 primarily for antiaircraft use. It did though find its way onto some air frames but with limited results.

Once did a little work in Papua New Guinea on a crashed B17 site and due to the climate in the mountains the ammo in the dorsal guns was still functional and even the pilots 38 was in good shape.

mtdawg169
10-29-13, 06:22
My best guess:

Thanks guys. After a little bit of Googling, it appears that you are correct. Pretty cool. It sounded as though the powder was perfectly dry in this round. I was just surprised to walk into the garage and see this just sitting there on top of the toolbox!

HackerF15E
10-29-13, 08:35
on a crashed B17 site and due to the climate in the mountains the ammo in the dorsal guns was still functional and even the pilots 38 was in good shape.

Swamp Ghost?

mtdawg169
10-29-13, 08:52
Once did a little work in Papua New Guinea on a crashed B17 site and due to the climate in the mountains the ammo in the dorsal guns was still functional and even the pilots 38 was in good shape.

Swamp Ghost?

I meant to ask about this as well. Sounds very interesting.

Slpeod
10-29-13, 20:18
Swamp Ghost?

No nothing that famous or old. I had 2 trips there one in 00 and 02 on an initial survey for a B24 and the wpns of the B17. It was hard work, more can be read on them at the website:http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/
I wasn't assigned to CIL-HI, we would get taskers as EOD to support the mission for the ordnance usually encountered. I did some pretty cool ones in Laos and Vietnam as well - overrun firebase, and was even in the Cu Chi tunnels.