PDA

View Full Version : Jumpy AR's..heavier buffers?

Ron3
10-29-13, 00:22
-14.5 in LW midlength, A2 front sight, complete BCM, pinned A2, 8lbs unloaded rifle. Carbine buffer and standard buffer spring from PSA. All parts are new.

Firing 5.56 PMC ammo it works perfectly, with 4:00-4:30 ejection. But the weapon is a bit jumpy for an AR and I think a heavier buffer will help.

-11.5 in, carbine gas, A2 front sight, A2 FH, complete BCM pistol. Phase 5 buffer tube and spring. Carbine buffer. All new parts.

Firing 5.56 PMC ammo it works perfectly like the rifle above. I forgot to check ejection pattern. This pistol is also jumpy like the rifle and I think it should get a heavier buffer, too.

With both weapons I don't plan on running stuff like Wolf but might run some .223 in the rifle. My goal is to decrease recoil for faster follow ups and decrease wear and tear.

I think I should get an H2 buffer for each and see how it goes. What do you guys think?

AKDoug
10-29-13, 00:28
I run as heavy of a buffer as I can get 100% reliability out of for a certain ammunition. I've yet have a rifle that was perfect with a carbine buffer. Most of mine run an H2, except for the two with Vltor A5 systems.

Hmac
10-29-13, 00:45
My Light Recce has an H buffer, a BattleComp, and an A5 and shooting PMC Bronze has felt recoil like a .22.

My 11.5 SBR has an H2 buffer, BattleComp and is likewise a very pleasant and controllable rifle with the same ammo.

Iraqgunz
10-29-13, 00:53
Carbine weight buffers are worthless. Most midlengths will run with an H and even H2 buffer.

On a side note: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1779073#post1779073

eperk
10-29-13, 06:06
Ron, you migt want to check out the Spikes StT2 buffer. It's weight is between an H and H2. I have two and they work well in my LMT carbine as well as my mid length build.

foxjordan22
10-29-13, 06:56
The buffers will help but a battlecomp will flatten out the gun.

thehun
10-29-13, 08:07
H buffer is what I run...and a Battlecomp...flat as flat a gun can be without being in a cradle

glocktogo
10-29-13, 09:02
I run my BCM 14.5" LW middy with an H buffer and BattleComp. For some reason, my rifle is lighter than yours, but I don't know what options you have on yours. Mine runs very flat.

I'll add that technique has a lot to do with it though.

Ron3
10-29-13, 09:38
I run my BCM 14.5" LW middy with an H buffer and BattleComp. For some reason, my rifle is lighter than yours, but I don't know what options you have on yours. Mine runs very flat.

I'll add that technique has a lot to do with it though.

My rifle has a variable low-power scope on it.

I did consider technique and predicted someone would bring that up. :)

Hump66
10-29-13, 09:45
Carbine weight buffers are worthless. Most midlengths will run with an H and even H2 buffer.

On a side note: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1779073#post1779073

That's what I always read on here, but both of mine (14.5 and 16 BCM midlengths) had to have a carbine buffers to keep from short stroking. Maybe they just need some more breaking in? Then swap to an H?

Ron3
10-29-13, 11:21
I ordered an H2 buffer for the 11.5 in and an H for the 14.5 mid-length.

Then I'll have three types to test with.

Thanks!

glocktogo
10-29-13, 13:13
My rifle has a variable low-power scope on it.

I did consider technique and predicted someone would bring that up. :)

The variable probably accounts for most of the weight difference. Mine has an H1 Micro in a DD mount.

I think you realize I wasn't impugning your abilities, just stating the obvious. :D

Ron3
10-29-13, 13:25
The variable probably accounts for most of the weight difference. Mine has an H1 Micro in a DD mount.

I think you realize I wasn't impugning your abilities, just stating the obvious. :D

Of course!

samuse
10-29-13, 15:00
To me a lighter buffer smooths out the whole cycle.

A heavy buffer makes the dot 'dance' noticeably longer and it just seems like it takes a lot more effort to get it back on target as quickly.

I run nothing but 14.5" carbines with H2 buffers and all factory Colt springs and stuff and it always runs 100%, and it ain't the most cutting edge setup you'll see at the range...

But if you wanna go faster, look at the 3-gun guys. They make the light setups run well and they're silly smooth shootin'..

RogerinTPA
10-29-13, 19:13
An H buffer would be the minimum to run. An H2 preferred... ran with blue springco buffer springs. A5 system best.