PDA

View Full Version : Dicussion of tactical operating environment and caliber selection

Amur
10-29-13, 19:58
This thread is merely proposed as a basis for logical discussion and a general thought exercise.

From a pure force on force stand point in the realm of all possible engagements in the military and non military world:

Assume you have two weapons at your disposal.
1) High quality AR/M4 Carbine in 556
2) High quality 16" 308 semi (Di, Scar, whatever you want)

Optics are available to your liking for both.

Under what operating parameters do you select the 556 weapon vs the 308. We all know 308 goes further harder and through things better.

Lets talk specifics though:

Example parameter:
1) Range of engagements and the probability distribution of ranges.....Up to X yards but Y% CQB indoors
2) Hostile capability (Their weapons range, armor and vehicle capabilities)
3) length of engagement from timing, distance covered or rounds potentially required.
4) etc

Mods if this is stupid please just nuke it.

WS6
10-29-13, 20:46
The .308 would get the nod for getting inside cars, or hunting animals larger than black bear. Everything else gets 5.56. I personally just bought a 300 Blackout because it covers both bases well enough for my liking (controllability/penetration/range, as I am not military, 250 yards is plenty!).

Amur
10-29-13, 20:51
So you would choose 308 when:
1) Heavy probability of engagement against vehicles
2) hunting of larger animals
3) Engagement likely over 250 yards

WS6
10-29-13, 20:53
So you would choose 308 when:
1) Heavy probability of engagement against vehicles Yes
2) hunting of larger animals Yes
3) Engagement likely over 250 yards

No, for distance I would stick with the 5.56 out to about 3-350 yards. I cannot think of a situation I personally would need more than that for.

308sako
10-29-13, 22:20
The only time I would not choose the .308/7.62 would be when absolute speed was the beat all in CQC. All other instances better served with a .308/7.62.

Now if you had expanded this to the future theoretical, a 6.5 mm cartridge in between the original choices would do it all!

11.5" SBR for .223

OBR 16" for .308/7.62

bowietx
10-29-13, 22:39
I have always questioned the ability for many people to accurately/effectively employ the .308 at the ranges that many cite. Most are unable to adequately make wind calls and deal with the drop inherent in the .308. In many personal observations I have seen folks fail at what many would state are relatively close in ranges. 5.56 can be reliably employed at ranges out to 300 yards and bullets like Barnes TSX provide adequate structural damage to end many fights. The 308 seems to make the most sense when penetration is required and if skilled enough to shoot at distance would be more ideal in open areas of the country where long range shots are likely vs urban areas. All in all I would take the 5.56 for greater capacity, generally lighter weight of the rifle and cheaper practice.