PDA

View Full Version : Vickers or Viking Two Point?

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 00:59
I'm in the process of assembling the components for a top of the line LE6920 set up, for my "welcome back to the world" gift. It's going to be what I've always wanted in a working and teaching/training carbine but I am undecided on one point. I know that I want a two point sling but wanted to get the group's feedback on the pros and cons on the Vickers/Blue Force and the Viking Tactics slings. I'm not brand loyal, but I do want the highest quality and best performance from what I buy. It looks like about a $15 difference in the two, so price isn't the issue at all.

Let 'er rip with what you think.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

USMC03
09-08-06, 05:56
The Vickers is an improvement over the Vicking Tactics sling (better materail, engineering, hardware, shorter tail, etc).

I'm in the process of changing all of my slings over to the Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling (VCAS).

yrac
09-08-06, 07:55
I have no experience with the Viking sling, so I can't comment on it either way. However, I have been very pleased with the Vickers sling. Quality of construction is good, adjustments are very quick and there are no loose ends to get in the way.

Chris Poston
09-09-06, 19:42
I have had a Vickers on a 6920 for a few months and it seems to work well. I think it works better after the material breaks in. Never had a Viking.

altav
09-09-06, 20:25
Another +1 for the Vickers. Just put one on my 870 and love it. It's a really well thought out piece of kit.

Ben Lenett
09-10-06, 08:05
I find that the Viking Tactics Sling is easier to adjust and has much more adjustability in it, which is the purpose in having an adjustable sling. The Vickers Sling will only give you a few inches of travel, where as the VT will give you over 16" if you set it up in that fashion.

The tail on the VT sling is a non-issue. I haven't found anyone that has had a problem with that. There are multiple upper level units that utilize the VT sling as their issue sling, and they have had no problems with the tail either. I understand why people could be concerned about it when first looking at it, but after you use the sling you'll find that it isn't a problem.

BlueForceGear
09-10-06, 09:34
Ben is correct that the VCAS range of adjustment is shorter at 13". This length of adjustment was determined from user feedback and can be changed if we see a developing concensus among our end users.

I believe that the typical end user is best served by a two point quick adjust sling. Some will prefer ours and some others and we are okay with that.

Thanks to all for your feedback!

Ashley

Stephen_H
09-11-06, 09:09
I find that the Viking Tactics Sling is easier to adjust and has much more adjustability in it, which is the purpose in having an adjustable sling. The Vickers Sling will only give you a few inches of travel, where as the VT will give you over 16" if you set it up in that fashion.

The tail on the VT sling is a non-issue. I haven't found anyone that has had a problem with that. There are multiple upper level units that utilize the VT sling as their issue sling, and they have had no problems with the tail either. I understand why people could be concerned about it when first looking at it, but after you use the sling you'll find that it isn't a problem.

While the VTAC may have served fine in the past, BFG has found a way to have your cake and eat it too. There have been plenty of times getting in and out of HMMWV's or 60's that I have seen loose webbing get caught or hung up. Just because it hasn't happened with a VTAC doesn't mean it won't. Hell, if nothing else I wouldn't want that tail smaking me in the face as I flew doors open or on a bench. The ability to very quickly and easily control the length of the sling using one quick-adjustment point without having to worry about excess webbing is damn near revolutionary in the sling world. I'll sacrifice 3 inches of adjustment for the added quality and features of the Vickers sling.

Stephen

M4Guru
09-12-06, 16:15
The tail on my VTAC got caught on all kinds of stuff. You name is, the tail would get caught on it.

The Vickers sling won't twist, and has a much simpler adjustment mechanism. The VTAC was at the top of the heap for quite a while, but anything can be improved on, and BFG did that.

dubb-1
09-12-06, 19:11
Well put.

Ben Lenett
09-14-06, 14:53
For clarification after speaking with Ashley today, apparently the Vicker's Sling I have ben utilizing is an early prototype model and that is the reason for my comment on the short adjustment. I look forward to the arrival of the new production model for evaluation.

Stay safe.

Ben

Ben is correct that the VCAS range of adjustment is shorter at 13". This length of adjustment was determined from user feedback and can be changed if we see a developing concensus among our end users.

I believe that the typical end user is best served by a two point quick adjust sling. Some will prefer ours and some others and we are okay with that.

Thanks to all for your feedback!

Ashley

VA_Dinger
09-14-06, 17:58
A friend sent me this and the photo:

"I know of at least two instances where someone has thrown a short barreled CAR-15 up from low ready and shot a hole through the Viking sling as it flew up by the muzzle."

His shot through Viking Tactics sling:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/DSC00065.jpg

Wayne Dobbs
09-14-06, 22:41
I hate it when that happens!

Sam
09-18-06, 05:12
You have to be really good to shoot your own sling. :)