PDA

View Full Version : Need escape destinations

tinman44
10-30-13, 21:36
I have recently found myself with a lot of extra time on my hands. (divorce :( ) Wondering if anyone can give some great suggestions of places to rough it and see some sites? Also I want to try out some of the survival skills I have learned over the years. Of course I will not be heading out in what I'm wearing and a pocket knife. I really want to escape the complexity of the real world and return to the wild simplicity(if that makes any sense) of the world we live in. I'm thinking Appalachian trails to start. Also any website suggestions for wilderness destinations on par with this website would be greatly appreciated.

SeriousStudent
10-30-13, 22:16
What is your budget?

Do you want snow and cold weather? Or wish to avoid it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ra2bach
10-31-13, 00:22
a partial AT hike is good but don't think you'll be alone. these days, they need a traffic cop at the lower end.

if you like swamps head down to FL. if you like mountains, the Cherokee National Forest just north and east of Johnson City, TN is some of the prettiest that's an easy drive and not overrun with dayhikers. the AT runs right through that at Roan Mountain. go in the spring when the Mountain Laurel is blooming. if you like desert, well, I don't have anything for you...

matemike
10-31-13, 04:12
I like Alaska. Tannanah river valley. Salcha river to be exact.

Watch the movie "Into the Wild" and don't go to that extreme.

tinman44
10-31-13, 04:57
What is your budget?

Do you want snow and cold weather? Or wish to avoid it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Right now it's tight but next year it should open up. So for now I'll avoid the snow.

STONE-YARDER
10-31-13, 09:55
Boundary waters in northern Mn...
https://www.google.com/search?q=ontario+boundary+waters&sa=X&rlz=1I7ADRA_enUS413&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAAEqANX_AHvTx-gAAAANCAQiCS9tLzA0NjVmc-KI562RtgyQhCUk_N3HPKLr4SfSfqtOgyoAAAA&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=mG9yUoXrHuGsyAGonID4BA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=608

MikeDawg46L
12-09-13, 15:07
This is an old thread and probably long dead but I'll add my 2 cents. My wife and I spent 7 days at Winter Star Retreat near Burnsville NC back in October. It was a small cabin up on the side of a mountain with the nearest neighbors about a mile back down the mountain. The awesome thing was that we could head out the back door and hit some really great trails. There was an old abandoned mica mine along an old wagon trail that was very neat, and you could even hike two peaks over to Mt Mitchell, which was about 8 miles and 2200 ft ascension away. We never once bumped into another human on the trails. It was an awesome getaway and good to put down the electronics ( had to walk around to find signal to make a call out on the cell with Verizon, any other carriers and web service... fahgeddabouddit). Bring your bear spray and sidearm, minimum.

Sent from my awesome iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

omgimdeadlolz
01-09-14, 15:28
the Sierra Nevada mountains are a must. i went up there for mountain warfare training and have never seen such beautiful landscape. (coming from Texas, lol)

soulezoo
02-26-14, 11:04
the Sierra Nevada mountains are a must. i went up there for mountain warfare training and have never seen such beautiful landscape. (coming from Texas, lol)

Agree with this... The Pacific Coast Trail runs roughly North/South along the Sierras and is an incredible experience.

hatidua
02-26-14, 18:29
The Pacific Coast Trail runs roughly North/South along the Sierras and is an incredible experience.

Pacific Crest Trail.

soulezoo
02-26-14, 18:34
Pacific Crest Trail.

Yes, I stand properly corrected- thank you.
That's what happens when one posts in a hurry at work.

TahoeLT
02-27-14, 14:51
It's sadly at the other end of the country, but I've found Washington and Oregon to offer some great places; the terrain ranges from sub-tropical rainforest toward the coast, to mountainous, to high plains desert to the East. Gives you a nice variety to train/practice on.

Closer to home I'd agree with Tennessee; there's some great areas to get "lost" in.

remington79
03-01-14, 03:34
It can be wet and muddy but the Vermont long trail is nice to. It starts at the southern end of Vermont and ends at the Canadian border.

MikeDawg46L
03-03-14, 20:31
Vermont and PNW are on my bucket list.

Sent from my awesome iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledanek
03-04-14, 21:33
got a passport?

camp at Ayers Rock, Australia (http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/arrcamp/)

soulezoo
05-14-14, 12:48
^^^^ Been there.

you can keep it.

buckpatriot
10-09-14, 22:39
Havasu Falls, AZ.

Honorthecall81
10-10-14, 11:15
Daniel Boone National forest. In particular Red River Gorge and the Clifty
wilderness area. Great back country camping.

thopkins22
10-10-14, 11:31
The AT is like a social event with a lot of walking. It's definitely an experience I'd recommend, but don't think you're going to get back to nature or anything like that. You're going to take a long walk in the woods everyday and maybe get a little weird with hippy chicks at night. And stop in every town for junk food because you can't seem to consume enough calories to physically keep from wasting away after a few weeks. It's an awesome experience...but don't think any through hike is going to help you find yourself or get back to nature or anything like that.

You'll leave it with the realization that you're exactly who you were when you started...only that you now know you're capable of walking a long way and you've developed a strange addiction to Snickers candy bars.

rcoodyar15
10-11-14, 05:15
Montana, Wyoming and Idaho in the Summer. You can even travel up into Canada. Beautiful Country

Migrate down through Utah and Colorado into New Mexico in the winter. Follow the Continental Divide.

If you ever see that country you will fall in love

I recommend a truck camper. You can camp free in the National Forest and BLM lands and have millions of acres Public Land to wander across. Permits are available on an annual basis online.

austinN4
10-11-14, 05:25
The National Parks and Forests, in this country are outstanding - well developed trails and campsites, and wilderness areas. The national forests are way less used, for the most part.
I have hiked BLM trails and sometimes have never never seen another person.

Or, just stay at home and try rescuing a shelter cat or dog, and spend some quality time getting to know each other.

Dead Man
10-11-14, 09:32
This thread's over a year old. Did this guy ever make it back from his post-divorce my-life-is-worthless adventure?