PDA

View Full Version : Handstops vs Vertical Foregrips?

britishtq
10-30-13, 22:00
What does everyone prefer? I like the foregrip as an index point extended out on the rail but if the handstop is comfortable to people I'd like to know.

And nobody dare recommend me the AFG.

Tzook
10-30-13, 22:03
I have a larue hand stop that I really like so far, but I don't use it any differently than I would a VFG

britishtq
10-30-13, 22:04
I use it as an index point. I rarely use it as an actual forward pistol grip manner.

PatrioticDisorder
10-30-13, 22:08
I like a stubby but usable VFG, I use it as a handstop until the rail gets hot, then it's nice to have a VFG to transition to, but YMMV.

ColtSeavers
10-30-13, 22:11
I have a gear sector hand stop that I used at the very end most point of the bottom rail attachment as guite simply a stop.

I have recently removed it and am trying out different sling/bipod mount studs to see which (if any) fit the rail attatchment screw size/threading (essentially direct mount) as a much smaller and less conspicuous reminder/reference stop.

badness
10-30-13, 22:21
vertical grip. Tango down stubby is my fav

britishtq
10-30-13, 22:34
I have a gear sector hand stop that I used at the very end most point of the bottom rail attachment as guite simply a stop.

I have recently removed it and am trying out different sling/bipod mount studs to see which (if any) fit the rail attatchment screw size/threading (essentially direct mount) as a much smaller and less conspicuous reminder/reference stop.

This is sorta what I'm planning on trying. I'm in ca and going "featureless" with my rifle so I can drop mags without the damn bullet button. This makes a foregrip illegal if I remove the bullet button but I can have a handstop.

ColtSeavers
10-31-13, 00:49
This is sorta what I'm planning on trying. I'm in ca and going "featureless" with my rifle so I can drop mags without the damn bullet button. This makes a foregrip illegal if I remove the bullet button but I can have a handstop.

Yeah I would never even consider a foregrip if it meant giving up mag release.

Nothing wrong with a (my) handstop, it works just fine.

I just wanted something super small/inconspicuous that just serves as a reference/reminder more than anything as I do not use/subscribe to the support arm outstretched parallel to the barrel/thumb over bore technique and therefore do not have my hand out that far all that often.

Kissel
10-31-13, 02:15
I prefer a stubby VFG. I recently tried the BCM VFG angled forward AK style and, for me, it hit the sweet spot.

TehLlama
10-31-13, 02:25
I've done the full transition to full size VFG's, to the stubby units, into the AFG, and now I run hand stops.
KAC panel kits for my URX rails, then the LT HandStop/IndexClip on all of the quad-railed handguards I own.

As long as your handguard is long enough, the hand stop is likely the lightest viable solution.

balloo93
10-31-13, 03:12
Just my personal preference...

On free float rails 10" or shorter I run the hand stop at the end of the rail flat side facing forward and ahead of the light that mounted on top. I do this so I don't over extend my grip and grab the barrel of FH and it allows reference to my light switch.

On free float rail 12" or longer I like a hand stop with the flat side facing rearward and mounted below and behind the light mounted on top. I can grab the rail quickly and have my support hand stop and allow me to pull the rifle in tight while also putting my hand in position to reference my light. Only exception is the rifle my 9year old shoots, it is a 12.37" with a hand stop at the end so he can bench shoot it comfortably. It uses a TRL-1 mounted at 12 O'clock in front of the front sight.

Non free float rails I prefer the KAC VFG as a hand stop of sorts. I place my pinkie and ring finger on the front face of the VFG and my middle and index finger under the rail and thumb against it. The light is usually mounted near my thumb so I can access it. I currently only have one rifle with a VFG and it's a Dissaptor with a KAC M5 rail.

WS6
10-31-13, 04:32
Stubby but usable VFG. Useful for more than just grabbing like a chicken neck (PC analogy).

http://i37.tinypic.com/e7z5hv.jpg

britishtq
10-31-13, 18:59
Stubby but usable VFG. Useful for more than just grabbing like a chicken neck (PC analogy).

http://i37.tinypic.com/e7z5hv.jpg

Oh yeah, getting all tactical in the laundry room lol.

The_War_Wagon
10-31-13, 19:10
AVG - got me to gripping the front of my rifle correctly!

Sparky5019
10-31-13, 20:16
I like a vert grip. Right now I have a Magpul RVG; it has other handling uses over just an index position.

Personally, I think it depends on how your support hand grips or drives the front end of the gun.

britishtq
10-31-13, 20:45
AVG - got me to gripping the front of my rifle correctly!

I said no avg recommendations lol.

I grip my gun in the c clamp, thumb over bore, drive the gun method.

ColtSeavers
11-01-13, 11:28
Dunno what rail you're running (if any), but as a hopefully helpful FYI, I just got this in the mail yesterday:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/sling-swivel-studs/bipod-sling-stud-sku100005267-42172-62440.aspx

And it fits perfectly as a direct mount into the rail attachment screw hole on my CASV-S as well as provides exactly what I was hoping it would, a very unobnoxious hand 'stop'. I assume that since it's made for a YHM rail but fits my VLTOR rail that the screw/thread size is fairly standard so it might work for you as well, again, depending on if you even have a rail that has rail attachment screw points.

WickedWillis
11-01-13, 11:54
I said no avg recommendations lol.

I grip my gun in the c clamp, thumb over bore, drive the gun method.

This can still be accomplished with an avg, if it's a tool that works, why be so against it?

ColtSeavers
11-01-13, 12:00
This can still be accomplished with an avg, if it's a tool that works, why be so against it?

Not to pick on you specifically but simply to give an example for all those suggesing foregrips, the OP already said no foregrips in the OP as well as even explained why in post #7.

WickedWillis
11-01-13, 12:02
Not to pick on you specifically but simply to give an example for all those suggesing foregrips, the OP already said no foregrips in the OP as well as even explained why in post #7.

I was referring directly to the C-clamp thumb over bore, drive the rifle grip he was mentioning in the post that I quoted.

LoveAR
11-01-13, 18:15
What is wrong with AFGs?

StrikerFired
11-01-13, 18:19
I use the thumb over bore, with a hand stop on the rail as an index point

RogerinTPA
11-01-13, 21:48
Most of us here have tried pretty much everything out there, but in the end, it comes down to personal preference, and what you are comfortable shooting with. I started with no VFG, then VFG, the AFG, and for the past few years, the TD stubbies since I find them most comfortable being used as an index, and a compromise between the utility of a full size and the AFG...of which I just could not get used to.

FloridaWoodsman
11-02-13, 18:23
I've tried vertical, angled, and hand stop. I felt that the angled was most natural and felt good in a variety of positions. I view even the simple hand stop as better than nothing.

sewvacman
11-03-13, 10:24
I have not tried a hand stop. From what I have tried, I like the TD stubby grip best and the magpul VFG is a good second. If they (Magpul) would just offset the grip like TD then they would have the #1 spot in my book.

I would not give up a mag release for a vfg. Hand stop would be the answer.

Honorthecall81
11-03-13, 13:13
I prefer a regular sized tango down vfg. I can grip it traditionally, or use a thumb break hold or I can C-clamp grip it in front of the vfg and it acts like a handstop anyway. Also, because it's regular length and not a stubby I can use it as a pivot if I need to shoot off of a surface or platform. It's multi-purpose

Slpeod
11-03-13, 13:22
I use the AFG on 2 setups but on my go to I use a RVG. One thing I tried and thought it seemed useless was the Magpul XTM handstop kit, wasn't for me at all. Mine is still brand new and will end up soon in the EE.

GH41
11-03-13, 14:22
Just a simple index only stop for me. GH
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t414/ghchhisc/Handstop_zps80ff2333.jpg

MegademiC
11-03-13, 20:46
I have a knights handstop, the gear sector look big enough to be comparable. Handstops can be used as a reference or as a slightly angled foregrip depending on how you grip it. It might not be the comfiest, but it provides a way to maximize control of the rifle. A lot of people run hs without bullet button dilemma. I'd say no brainer, handstop and have a legit ar with evil qd mags ;)

Cylinder Head
11-03-13, 22:06
I've made the transition from foregrips to AFG's and handstops at this point.

Boba Fett v2
11-04-13, 21:33
Currently running handstops exclusively. I could never shoot quite as well with VFGs, and AFGs didn't really do much for me. I prefer to grip the rail and have a hand stop there as a good reference point and grip consistency.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

cop1211
11-04-13, 21:49
Most of us here have tried pretty much everything out there, but in the end, it comes down to personal preference, and what you are comfortable shooting with. I started with no VFG, then VFG, the AFG, and for the past few years, the TD stubbies since I find them most comfortable being used as an index, and a compromise between the utility of a full size and the AFG...of which I just could not get used to.

Exactly the same for me.

britishtq
11-04-13, 23:16
I was referring directly to the C-clamp thumb over bore, drive the rifle grip he was mentioning in the post that I quoted.

I was answering another question with how I grip the gun. I can't use the avg with a featureless rifle in ca which is why I said no recommendations.

Thanks everyone for all the help and giving me your opinions.

malstew123
11-05-13, 04:12
When I got my first ar15 I bought a vfg and shot with it for a while because i thought it looked cool. I took it off and soon discovered my consistency in shot placement improved as I began to use a more natural support for the rifle instead of trying to force myself to adapt to the placement of the vfg on the rail. I recently started using a hand stop as a index point and have found it to be an effective way to establish a consistent hand placement. In retrospect, I wish I would have just shot the rifle and learned a natural way to support it first before thinking that looks equate to performance...but I digress. I think personal preference is a big part of it, but for me, Ill be running my guns slick or with a hand stop for now.