PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Democracy?

HeliPilot
10-31-13, 11:18
Just found the advertisement on AR15news.com, the company looks like they're putting out a solid product. Anyone heard of them or have any additional info? The price is set at a catchy $1776 but what do y'all think?

Here's a link to their spec sheet, not a ton of details but looks interesting,

http://arsenaldemocracy.com/reaper-33specs/

C4IGrant
10-31-13, 11:21
Just found the advertisement on AR15news.com, the company looks like they're putting out a solid product. Anyone heard of them or have any additional info? The price is set at a catchy $1776 but what do y'all think?

Here's a link to their spec sheet, not a ton of details but looks interesting,

http://arsenaldemocracy.com/reaper-33specs/

I think I would pass when there are lots of high quality (KNOWN) AR's available for less money.

C4

Tzook
10-31-13, 14:08
It looks like a pretty good quality rifle, but for the money I'd never buy one as an unknown. I hope they put some of these out for T&E and they get put through their paces

GH41
10-31-13, 16:03
I think I would pass when there are lots of high quality (KNOWN) AR's available for less money.C4

With all respect Grant that is a lot of rifle if it is built right!! Do you know where the guns name "Reaper" comes from? If you google the company his name comes up a lot. Nick Irving. Not saying he somehow makes it a better gun but he is the real deal! GH

Suwannee Tim
10-31-13, 19:25
Upper Receiver- 7075 T6 Arsenal Democracy custom, hand fitted to the barrel extension .....

What's a barrel extension?

Suwannee Tim
10-31-13, 19:34
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=barrel+extention

Iraqgunz
10-31-13, 19:59
No specs on the BCG, powdered tungsten "custom" buffer (why?). I don't care for the stock or the adjustable gas block.

There are also no sights included so if you want some quality folding sights you can add another 160-185.00 dollars to the price.

Voodoo_Man
10-31-13, 20:25
This guy caught my eye today, specs aren't bad really.

What other rifles compare to 416R barrel, geiselle trigger, nice rail, cerakote to color of choice, lifetime warranty?

RIGPIG
10-31-13, 20:29
It is a good looking rifle, with a lot of desirable features. I'd be hesitant to spend that much on an unknown manufacturer. Maybe he should have started out selling his rails and receivers to get his name out there? It'll be interesting to see if the brand has any staying power. From the reactions here, doesn't seem like he'll get much of a fair shake. They'll probably do well with the POF and Black Rain crowd.

HeliPilot
10-31-13, 21:31
At one point in time BCM and Noveske we're unknown manufacturers... I think I'd be more interested in a stripped upper and lower and finish it off the way I want.

JPB
10-31-13, 21:42
Would like to know if it is anodized under the CeraKote.

zx2man
10-31-13, 22:14
Never heard of this company/rifle before today. Found out about it on FB. That being said, from what I read it certainly "looks" and "sounds" like a quality rifle. It mentions that it will soon be tested throughly by some SEALS and a CAG guy. If they put a high round count in and put it through its paces properly and its g2go in reliability and accuracy, then I would say the price would be fair.

Some of the very best makers started off small and unheard of, so time will tell on this platform.

SilverBullet432
11-01-13, 00:08
if SOF guys "designed the rifle" why would they put a 1/8 twist on it? :confused: also, i had an idea for a stock like that, they stole it!! lol the rifle does look good though. Someone needs to let LAV torture test it.

Dead Man
11-01-13, 00:18
It's a bit gimmicky, and you're paying a fairly high premium for styling... but it's not like this isn't the norm in a lot of other industries. Stock has to go, and they'd really do a lot better for their customer if they offered your choice of pinned muzzle device. If those don't bother you, pop a BCM bolt into it and I'm sure it'll make you happy.

Iraqgunz
11-01-13, 00:59
So you would base the decision off of one or two guns being tested? Interesting.

Never heard of this company/rifle before today. Found out about it on FB. That being said, from what I read it certainly "looks" and "sounds" like a quality rifle. It mentions that it will soon be tested throughly by some SEALS and a CAG guy. If they put a high round count in and put it through its paces properly and its g2go in reliability and accuracy, then I would say the price would be fair.

Some of the very best makers started off small and unheard of, so time will tell on this platform.

Freedoooom
11-01-13, 01:12
if SOF guys "designed the rifle" why would they put a 1/8 twist on it? :confused: also, i had an idea for a stock like that, they stole it!! lol the rifle does look good though. Someone needs to let LAV torture test it.

Shilen only makes 1 in 8s.

letterQ
11-01-13, 02:31
If you like the rifle as it comes, I feel like you would be hard pressed to assemble a rifle with the same specs for less green.

AFshirt
11-01-13, 03:55
I would think in this market it would be incredibly tough to start out a new product like that. I mean, you start too high and people wont take you seriously because they would rather go with a proven brand (for good reason) but if you go too low you automatically get branded bottom tier like DPMS or Bushmaster so it kinda seems like a no win either way.

Iraqgunz
11-01-13, 04:08
A few more thoughts.

1. What kind of gas block is it and who else has used or proven that it works?

2. Who makes the rail? Is it truly theirs or does someone else make it?

3. Get rid of the stock and the Magpul copy MFT grip.

4. Give more specs about the BCG other than "chrome lined" and microslicked (whatever that means).

5. Get rid of the pinned barrel and go to a 16". I would also disclose the port size.

6. Offer something other than a Norgon mag release.

7. Why use a proprietary "tungsten powdered" buffer? Use an H, H2 or H3.

8. Shoot the piss out of one and document it. Have some pics on the site showing a rifle with 5K, 10K, 15K rounds through it.

ColtSeavers
11-01-13, 04:13
I think that in this day and age as well as this market a (new?) company would be doing all they can to provide as much information about their product (thus showing not only why it should be trusted but also why it should be preferred) as they can, especially when it comes to the 'basics'. Is the carrier F/A or Semi profile? Is the bolt c-158? Etc, etc...

I want to believe that there is nothing to worry about and that the carrier is completely mil-spec (barring the microslick), but what I have is absolutely no need to with all the other aforementioned manufacturers more than happy to quell any doubts I may have by letting me know right up front.

RMiller
11-01-13, 06:41
If I were in the market for and AR I think I'd rather spend $1,776 on a base BCM or Colt, some good irons, along with lots of ammo and mags.

Hump66
11-01-13, 06:56
4. Give more specs about the BCG other than "chrome lined" and microslicked (whatever that means).

I'm assuming they are using the Cerakote micro slick coating.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-110Q/

Glock30
11-01-13, 07:00
Arsenal Inc.:confused: That was my first thought when clicking on the link

SilverBullet432
11-01-13, 07:40
Shilen only makes 1 in 8s.

ahh ok, i had to go back and read that, kind of like Larue and their SS bbls. Noveske uses a 1/7 on their SS barrels though.

C4IGrant
11-01-13, 08:00
With all respect Grant that is a lot of rifle if it is built right!! Do you know where the guns name "Reaper" comes from? If you google the company his name comes up a lot. Nick Irving. Not saying he somehow makes it a better gun but he is the real deal! GH

I have written many threads on the subject of buying KNOWN name brands. Not only for the track record, but because if you have to sell the gun (or want to), it is a MUCH easier to do.

For me, the styling of the lower and such is goofy. For those into that though, drive on.

C4

C4IGrant
11-01-13, 08:03
This guy caught my eye today, specs aren't bad really.

What other rifles compare to 416R barrel, geiselle trigger, nice rail, cerakote to color of choice, lifetime warranty?

I have a gun in my hands right now with a FN hammer forged barrel (melonited), with a piston, awesome keymod rail, Geissele SSA, cerakoted, magpul furniture that will have a street price of $1700-$1800. This is from a KNOWN big name.

Lifetime warranty's are pretty much worthless (especially from small companies). So I wouldn't put any weight in that.

C4

Col_Crocs
11-01-13, 09:02
I'm assuming they are using the Cerakote micro slick coating.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-110Q/

Ya but you kind of have to look deeper than mere surface coating.
The barrel is interesting to me... As is the person supposedly behind the weapon itself. Other than that, i'd like to see more realistic specs, particularly on the BCG. I don't particularly care for the billet stuff, nor the RE package. The stock is pretty easy to switch out but, IMHO, the PWS is useless... an A5 would've been a more realistic improvement.

Voodoo_Man
11-01-13, 09:05
I have a gun in my hands right now with a FN hammer forged barrel (melonited), with a piston, awesome keymod rail, Geissele SSA, cerakoted, magpul furniture that will have a street price of $1700-$1800. This is from a KNOWN big name.

Lifetime warranty's are pretty much worthless (especially from small companies). So I wouldn't put any weight in that.

C4

While I am not a huge fan of Magpul furniture, I am picking up what you are putting down.

I did a quick spreadsheet of parts (big/brand name) needed to build an exact or close as possible copy and I was a few hundred over their cost. So for the money, I cannot say its not worth it.

Shiz
11-01-13, 09:13
I don't care for the stock or the adjustable gas block.

Do AGB cause problems under hard use? Something I don't know much about.

svtpwnz
11-01-13, 13:12
Not my cup of tea and @ almost $1800, it's in Noveske and Knights SR-15 territory which I would choose all day long instead. Hell, I paid $1100 OTD for my DDM4V4 a couple years ago and would take it over this no question.

I'm really not feeling the goofy ass intergraded 3pc attachment points on the front of their key mod rail system. Among several other reasons mentioned by IG, I would honestly rather have a simple and reliable as Hell Colt 6940 over this.

WickedWillis
11-01-13, 13:16
Do AGB cause problems under hard use? Something I don't know much about.

I'm awaiting an answer on this as well.