PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cover Rod Slippage

Neeglik
09-08-06, 10:01
Mine is walking forward on my new build. I checked my other rifle with a Larue 12.0 rail and it looks as though the rod will slide only as far as the barrel nut. On the new upper, it slides forward until it hits the far end of the barrel nut (where the holes are) then stops, but it is far enough that the it comes thru the hole in the rear of the ejection port, and my dust cover flops. I thought that maybe I had not cranked down the 12.0 tight enough, but I'm pretty sure I followed directions exactly. I'm a bit stumped on this one. Any advice?

Parts in question are:
CMT upper
Larue 12.0

Thanks in advance...

Stephen_H
09-08-06, 10:30
I would measure the dust cover rod and make sure that it is to spec and not on the short side. It may be a little short. If that is not the case then the barrel nut may be out of spec or installed incorrectly, but I would put my money on the rod being short.

Stephen

Neeglik
09-08-06, 12:03
So either way, we are looking at replacing the rod, correct?

dubb-1
09-08-06, 12:40
I have used red loctite to "increase the diameter" on the side without the c-clip. Though not tactical, it is a practical field repair, and it has worked perfectly. Give it a shot.

Be well!

Neeglik
09-08-06, 13:25
Not a bad idea. Thanks...

dubb-1
09-12-06, 18:50
Don't mention it. Glad to help.

TWR
09-12-06, 20:05
Another quick fix is use a piece of shrink tubing to extend the rod to the barrel nut. Had to do this on my AR-10 when I floated the barrel. Again not the correct way but it works.