PDA

View Full Version : New guy with bolt cleaning question

SWIGIN
10-31-13, 15:44
I have been lurking here most of this year before joining and this is my first thread.

I have not seen it stated any where on here how often you should take the extractor and ejector pin out of the bolt for cleaning.

I am building my first AR and have all my parts except for my ARP barrel, and it's on it's way. So with the possibility of shooting my first AR in a week or two I would like to know this.

Thanks

mark5pt56
10-31-13, 15:53
I never mess with the ejector unless it breaks or got stuck for some reason. Usually when cleaning, place a drop or two by the plunger and work the ejector a few times either with the end of the toothbrush, punch or empty case head. There's a weep hole on the bolt body and excess whatever will/should weep out of it.

The extractor you can take off when cleaning the bolt to inspect the spring and insert if applicable.

I have been lurking here most of this year before joining and this is my first thread.

I have not seen it stated any where on here how often you should take the extractor and ejector pin out of the bolt for cleaning.

I am building my first AR and have all my parts except for my ARP barrel, and it's on it's way. So with the possibility of shooting my first AR in a week or two I would like to know this.

Thanks

SWIGIN
10-31-13, 21:14
OK, sounds good.

Thanks

swinokur
11-01-13, 05:54
FWIW, the Colt manual says to remove the extractor to inspect and clean. You don't need to do anything to the ejector unless something isn't working.