PDA

View Full Version : Confidence in one's position (or lack thereof)?

rhino
05-03-08, 17:52
I'm curious about something.

Why is it that when people clearly lack true confidence in their position or opinion, they choose to assert information about their background or experience in an attempt to persuade? I'm not referring to someone sharing their background in order to establish context.

It's usually painfully obvious when someone feels the need to type something about their personal history that they will feel will bolster their position, but it comes across to third parties as a strong indication that they are incapable of effectively arguing their point based on their argument and logic. Often the credentials bandied about would be quite impressive under other circumstances, but the timing and the context make them far less persuasive.

I suppose the root of my question is that my curiosity is piqued by the lack of confidence displayed by someone while trying to communicate with others, when it's very likely that the same indivudual is supremely confident (and perhaps rightly so) when actually applying the technique or idea. I wonder why the confidence necessary to be successful in the execution (that is born from practice, success, and perhaps no small matter of deliberate mental conditioning) is virtually nonexistent when trying to communicate ideas about those techniques and practices to others such as messages on online forums.

Is it a manifestation of one of the many skills that separate a skilled practitioner from a skilled practitioner who is also a skilled teacher?

Or, is it an actual confidence problem that is deeper? If one truly believes his own words, why feel the need to throw "credentials" like a hand grenade into the conversation? It seems incongruently desperate to me.

UpNorthWolf
05-03-08, 18:07
My guess it is "bluffing with BS." Whether that is a Bachelor of Science or Bull Poop is up to the listener. Odds are it usually works for the speaker more times than not, especially to the less than informed they are trying to impress. Eventually the speaker believes their own "expert" hype and thus leads with it.

Rick

KintlaLake
05-03-08, 19:29
Man keeps looking for a truth that fits his reality.
Given our reality, the truth doesn't fit.
If you experience it, it's the truth.
The same thing believed is a lie. (Werner Erhard)

Gutshot John
05-03-08, 20:22
I find that an individual confident in his/her knowledge will admit the limitations of that knowledge.

In short it's what a man tells me that he doesn't know that gives him credibility when he tells me he does.

Just my $0.02.

militarymoron
05-03-08, 22:32
in some cases it's to establish credibility. obviously, there's a difference between mentioning your background and experience in order to give people an idea of where those opinions come from vs. chest beating.
often, people will ask '...and you are???', and sometimes it helps to understand whether someone is a civvie, high-speed operator, airsofter etc.
just because someone argues something logically may not mean that they have learned it through experience; they may just be parroting or paraphrasing someone else.
i actually welcome someone providing their frame of reference by saying 'this is where i'm coming from'. but i avoid those who tend to use their background or credentials to 'one up' someone else or discount someone else's opinion. just my civvie .02.

ToddG
05-04-08, 00:09
As someone with a Bachelor of Science in communication from an Ivy League university (with a core focus on persuasion and the psychology of communication) as well as a law degree from a school which is regularly listed in among the top 200 law schools in the country, I find your question regarding basic rhetorical approach (not to mention the implied discussion of simple logic fallacies) pedantic and vacuous.

:p

(well ... I thought it was funny ... and at last count I think there were 186 law schools in the US)

rob_s
05-04-08, 07:29
I find it equally interesting that most people will automatically ASSume that the guy on the other end must have less experience than them (or at least not enough experience to make their opinion count) rather than the opposite. This is especially true if the other person disagrees with them.

I have to admit, when I first went on lightfighter I thought the intro thing was stupid, but have since come to really like it. I see a guy post something, and all I have to do is go find their intro post to see what their frame of reference might be. Cuts down on the chest-thumping and the "oh yeah? who the hell are you?" type posts.

I remember a few years ago seeing Pat Rogers post a couple of times on TOS and having pimply-faced kids jumping all over him with no idea who he was. I'm not saying Pat, or anyone else, gets a free ride or is always right but these idiots were really stepping on their cranks.

rhino
05-04-08, 11:54
As someone with a Bachelor of Science in communication from an Ivy League university (with a core focus on persuasion and the psychology of communication) as well as a law degree from a school which is regularly listed in among the top 200 law schools in the country, I find your question regarding basic rhetorical approach (not to mention the implied discussion of simple logic fallacies) pedantic and vacuous.

:p

(well ... I thought it was funny ... and at last count I think there were 186 law schools in the US)

Hehehe ... you grok me.

Hey! I should have listed "vacuous pedantry" in the topic about hobbies. I need to start asserting in my messages that I've engaged in wanton pedantry for close to 40 years.

Gutshot John
05-04-08, 12:06
I've engaged in wanton pedantry for close to 40 years.

We don't like perverts around here. :D

rhino
05-04-08, 12:08
We don't like perverts around here. :D

I should probably be registered on a list of some sort. For the sake of the children.

But, I maintain, I am not the only guilty party among us!

RogerinTPA
05-04-08, 23:54
I agree. I would also include a lack of knowledge, which leads to lack of confidence. I too can understand at the very beginning of a course, to spout off his resume to gain some credibility and respect. But to do that, especially when a student asked a illegitimate question, and get defensive, is a clear indication that he is not qualified to teach that course. I have sat in many courses where the instructor was intimidated by the students based on who we were, then went on to beat his chest throughout the course, while we rolled are eyes but remained respectful. He spent more time trying to gain credibility, than to teach the course of instruction. A complete waste of everyones time.