PDA

View Full Version : Good Information on +P Ammo

Heavyweight
11-01-13, 09:15
http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2009/01/p-phenomenon-by-saxonpig.html

Seems like hardly a day goes by that I don't see someone on a gun forum ask if it's safe to shoot +P ammo in their respective revolver.

This is a really good piece I found linked into a post on the S&W Forum. They wanted to make it a sticky over there!

My own experiences match up pretty close with the blogger.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Heavyweight

SteveS
11-01-13, 21:33
I started reloading in the middle 1970s and I still have the manuals . Some of the 38 loads are close to magnum loadings as compared to todays recommended loadings. As I age I learned that +p loads aren't needed to practice and can lead to flinching problems. NowI do light and easy loads to practice.

DocH
11-02-13, 10:46
Good article and I agree with it. A few months ago I found an old box of 158 grain 357 semi wadcutters,left over from at least 40 years ago,probably 45 years.
After a cylinder full from my 2 1/2 inch Mod 19,I put on some larger rubber grips that covered the back strap,before shooting up a few cylinders more of these.
It was a rip roaring load compared to any of today's factory stuff.

We used Super Vels,and the hot 125 grainers,as well as hot 158 gr. reloads. None of my guns had any cracked forcing cones or flame cutting,and this particular revolver is as tight as it ever was.
I won't say some guns weren't affected,but mine never were. A little less comfortable to shoot and not something I'd want to shoot all day,but I wouldn't worry if I had to use these again.
The +P 38 loads and the magnum loads of today really are a joke compared to some of the bombshells we used to load up.
I still have both hands and all ten digits.